Corpse Party - MegaThread

Author Topic: Corpse Party - MegaThread  (Read 51344 times)

Welcome to the abandoned and (reportedly) demolished halls of Heavenly Host Elementary, were vengeful spirits dwell and the fires of corporeal existence are repeatedly and mercilessly snuffed out. We hope you enjoy the tour, as it's not about to end anytime soon. It may even last a eternity...

As this accursed school, a series of incidents occurred and which, ultimately, four students were kidnapped...and murdered. And though this occurred 30 years ago, the corpse party still continues to this very day.

Now the site of a perfectly ordinary high school, one unlucky class representative with a penchant for telling ghost stories makes the mistake of invoking a forbidden charm known as "Sachiko Ever After"; a charm that unknowingly serves as an invitation into another space -- a shifting, almost sentient echo of the long-closed school wherein these horrific mutilations occurred so long ago.

And once you've been invited to this party, you have no choice but to attend.

Willingly or no, all who find themselves in the dilapidated halls of Heavenly Host must persevere, for their only companions along the way are the mournful spirits of the dead and forgotten, along with a few who consider themselves the very arbiters of life and death. Will you remain a guest here forevermore? Or will you have the power to defy the saddest and strongest fate of all...?

Demolished decades ago, yet here it stands: a school mired in trauma and tragedy, where students and teachers alike were assaulted, violated and murdered so often that the Tenjin townsfolk had no choice but to tear it down. Unfortunately, where there's a will, there's a way - and where there are vengeful spirits, there's a will strong enough to rebuild history.

Come tor these hellish halls in preparation for the dangers that lurk within...

Believe it or not, Corpse Party has actually existed since 1996!

The very first appearance of Corpse Party was as an independently-developed freeware game for the popular Japanese NEC PC-9800 series of computers, created by a small software startup who call themselves "Team GrisGris." The title was put together using the popular game creation software RPG Maker (specifically, a PC98 adaption of it called RPG Tsukuuru Dante98), and billed itself as a no-holds-barred horror adventure reminiscent of Japanese 8- and 16-bit classics such as Capcom's Sweet Home and Human's Clock Tower.

Gamers took notice of Corpse Party after it won first prize in the 2nd ASCII Entertainment Software Contest the same year, and this little home-brewed horror game became something of an underground success for Team GrisGris. While no official sequels, remakes or adaptations would be made for an astonishing twelve years, this one title spawned a fanbase dedicated enough to create their own complementary work in RPG Maker titled Corpse Party Zero, which chronicled the events of previously unnamed side characters who were mentioned only in passing during the original game.

In 2008, perhaps spurred by the runaway success of similarly-themed horror titles like Higurashi: When They Cry, Team GrisGris released a Windows-based reimagining of their original opus titled Corpse Party: BloodCovered. This was not a mere port, but an upgrade in every sense: the graphics, the music, the gameplay and even the story itself were all changed, improved and expanded upon (and the initially unnamed side characters who later starred in Corpse Party Zero had their names retroactively applied to them, as a nod to the dedicated fans who kept the series alive during Team GrisGris' long hiatus). The title was split into five chapters which were sold episodically at conventions, fan events and through an online store. This updated remake was also ported to cell phones, allowing Japanese gamers to horrify themselves on the go.

It didn't stop there, either. A Corpse Party: BloodCovered manga series was also introduced the following year, telling essentially the same story as the remade game, but offering a new perspective on the events that unfolded within it. A second manga series titled Corpse Party: Musume (the Japanese word for "daughter") followed shortly thereafter.

Corpse Party was officially a hit. Novels, drama CDs and soundtrack albums were released one after another. Then, in 2010, popular Japanese visual novel publisher 5pb took notice and Corpse Party: BloodCovered: ...Repeated Fear was born. This PSP title is an enhanced remake of Corpse Party: BloodCovered featuring further updated graphics and music, additional story elements and full voice-acting recorded via binaural audio technology for simulated three-dimensional surround sound.

XSEED Games fell in love with Corpse Party: BloodCovered: ...Repeated Fear just after Halloween 2010, and negotiated a license with 5pb to release it in the English-speaking world. Since no other version of the game has ever been officially published outside of Japan, we felt it prudent to drop the dual subtitles and release this game under the name that started it all: Corpse Party. Short, simple and catchy! It is, after all, the beginning of the story.

But it's certainly not the end! More Corpse Party games, manga, novels, drama CDs and soundtrack albums have already been published in Japan since this game's release, and still more are on the way at the time of this writing. Corpse Party is a veritable franchise now, and we couldn't be more thrilled at the chance to bring such a terrifying tale to western shores. So, will we be able to bring more gory goodness to English-speakers in the months and years to come?

Who knows? This could be the start of something truly...mortifying...

Source(WARNING:If you are weak hearted or do not like seeing gory stuff, do not click this loving link.)

« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 08:26:32 PM by Benjamin Lopez »

Playthrough's For Corpse Party:Blood Covered.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 03:12:15 PM by Benjamin Lopez »

I remember watching cry's LP on this

I remember watching cry's LP on this
Yeah, I just added LP's under the OP cause I know a lot of people would be confused with just this information. I know I was..

I'll be adding book of shadows tomorrow if I get the chance, just found out that two new games following the original Corpse Party are going to come out this year :D

I stopped playing for a long time when Seiko died
stuff was scary
Got to the second to last chapter

I stopped playing for a long time when Seiko died
stuff was scary
Got to the second to last chapter
I was sad when Seiko died, she was the only one out of the whole group that I liked.
Though the first thing I did when I played the game was try to get all the bad ends. I think the most forgeted up one was when Yoshiki found Ayumi cut in half and practically ate her. The surprising thing was that Ayumi lived, when ever she got controlled by evil spirits so many times.
Also found a short animated footage of Corpse Party
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 03:21:17 PM by Benjamin Lopez »

I recently found out about the series through Cry's playthrough.
Am I a weeaboo if I just became a major fanboy of the series?  :panda:

that loving ending
that fuccking eennddinngg

;~;

The first time I heard about it was through Cry.
i cry errytim

oh god forget ;n;
The begining of it freaked me the forget out..I wanted to stop watching after that
that loving ending
that fuccking eennddinngg

;~;
Ikr.
I recently found out about the series through Cry's playthrough.
Am I a weeaboo if I just became a major fanboy of the series?  :panda:
If you want to be a weeaboo than go ahead, but I don't consider you one, I became a major fanboy the same way :I

The first Corpse Party game chronicled the struggles of seven high school classmates,
one little sister and one teacher who all got trapped in a cursed elementary school that shouldn't even exist, and were assaulted mercilessly therein by malevolent spirits. It was a game riddled with twists, turns and "wrong ends" that culminated in haunting, brutal death scenes, and its conclusion left many questions unanswered and more than a few loose threads untied (while at least one other was tied perhaps a bit too tightly)...

Corpse Party: Book of Shadows is a compilation of eight short stories set before, during and after these events, "fleshing" out the experience and further developing its characters and mythos alike.

Some chapters take place in an alternate timeline, where characters go into the events of Corpse Party with foreknowledge of the fates that are destined to befall them, granting them a rare opportunity to make different decisions and potentially avert their grisly demises.

Other chapters detail events leading up to Corpse Party, providing insight into the minds of some of its less prominent characters and revealing the influence they may have had in the grand scheme of things (or the influence it may have had on them).

And the final chapter, available only to those who have either played through the first Corpse Party or seen every wrong end in Corpse Party: Book of Shadows, details events from approximately two weeks after the first game's conclusion, delving deeper into the mystery as two characters frantically search for answers in a location even more cursed and uninviting than Heavenly Host Elementary itself…

Classic point-and-click gameplay enhances the series' rich atmosphere
More realistically-proportioned and immersive first-person environments with ending routes based solely on player decisions eliminate reliance on reflexes over strategy.

"Darkening" system emphasizes the need to keep calm
Characters gradually become frightened and unstable, distorting the game's graphics and altering their decision-making abilities.

Focus on side-characters and characters who received less "screen time" originally
The already robust cast from the original is further humanized, adding to the game's immersion and preying on the player's sense of empathy.

Full Japanese voice-acting and twice the binaural 3D audio effects
Original Japanese voices are kept intact for authenticity, and players can feel like they're part of the action by hearing speech, screams and spooky sounds coming from literally all around them when played with headphones.

Text-skipping, fast-forward and save-anywhere features minimize repetition
Players caught by "wrong ends" can easily redo whatever actions may have damned them by skipping and fast-forwarding through any scene in the game, as well as keeping ample saves on hand at crucial turning points (even if they're in the middle of conversations).

Unlockable bonus features offer additional incentives to thorough players
Completing chapters and viewing specific scenes unlocks art stills, music tracks, voice-actor interviews and more. Data from the first Corpse Party can be loaded for additional content, and viewing the game's true ending unlocks a special mode where custom conversations may be constructed from a selection of the game's voiced lines.

Returning Souls

Naomi Nakashima
Haunted by feelings of deja vu, Naomi seems to know bits and pieces of the harrowing events that are destined to occur within Heavenly Host Elementary School. Determined to find some way of changing fate and preventing these tragedies from coming to pass, she must learn to suppress her own dark urges and control her inner demons, before it's too late.

Seiko Shinohara
For longer than she can recall, Seiko has harbored feelings deeper than mere friendship for her bosom(ed) buddy Naomi, but has chosen to suppress them in order to support Naomi's wishes and dreams for the future. Once the nature of Heavenly Host becomes clear, however, Seiko realizes that her time on this earth may be limited, and she must decide whether to come clean or continue living a lie...

Mayu Suzumoto
Unconsciously aware of the grisly end that fate has in store for her, Mayu embarks on a desperate search for her classmate and "rock," Morishige. Always struggling to stay one step ahead of certain death, Mayu's justified paranoia and careful planning help her reunite with old friends, and even make new ones. But the clock is ticking, and there are only so many places she can run before whoever (or whatever) is pursuing her finally catches up...

Yoshiki Kishinuma
Though impulsive by nature, Yoshiki can be surprisingly level-headed when the situation calls for it, easily serving as a voice of reason for those around him. His near-obsessive care and concern for Ayumi is what drives him onward, and he's willing to do whatever it takes to ensure her safety, even at the cost of his own. But in a place like Heavenly Host, is it really possible to protect another human being, or are one's efforts better spent on self-preservation?

Ayumi Shinozaki
Ayumi is perhaps more in danger than anyone else in Heavenly Host due to her natural receptiveness to spiritual energy. If she's not careful, she could become so deeply and completely possessed that her own soul would be lost forever -- and there's no telling what might take its place. Her only hope for salvation lies in the friendships she's forged with her classmates... but will that be enough?

Satoshi Mochida
A doting brother, good friend, attentive student and all-around honorable individual, Satoshi is also a bit of a wuss (a fact which he himself readily admits). As a result of these personality traits, he's generally among the first people others look to as a leader, but the last person who should ever be given that role. And of course, when the time loop occurs, he's the only one who fully remembers all the events yet to come. Can he keep his friends out of harm's way, or will his meekness affect his credibility?

Yui Shishido
What makes this overzealous teacher's assistant tick? Corpse Party: Book of Shadows steps back a few years and looks at Yui in the past, during her senior year of high school. Back then, she wanted to be a teacher more than anything... but was she ready for it? Could she handle the responsibility? As an aspiring educator, where did she turn for help and support when she needed it? And perhaps most importantly... could she survive the deadly curse of Kisaragi High, or was her role destined to come to a premature end?

Naho Saenoki
A famed paranormalist and published author who attends Paulownia High (when she can), Naho regards strangers and fans alike with a cold professionalism that really helps sell her to the public as a capable investigator. Once the cameras and microphones are off, however, she's like a playful cat on a sugar high -- a sight beheld only by her closest friends and acquaintances. The question is, which side of the coin represents Naho's true nature? Or is her true nature something altogether much darker...?

Sakutaro Morishige
In the real world, Morishige is a loner. He's a stage actor for whom no one cheers, and a man with no real tact or social graces. A lifetime of this has made him an introvert, and as far as he's concerned, his only real friend in the world is Mayu, who regards him just as strongly as he regards her. But without Mayu around, Morishige is forced to find comfort wherever he can... even if it means obsessing over the dead while ignoring the living...

Yuuya Kizami
Kizami is a born psychopath. Even at a young age, death fascinated him while life held virtually no value. Sickened by the world's many social mores, Kizami seeks absolute honesty from those around him, and offers neither respect nor tolerance for anything less. When he was transported to Heavenly Host, he began to realize that the rules of society no longer applied, and thus decided to make this twisted space his own...

Yuka Mochida
Satoshi's little sister, Yuka is not unlike a spoiled princess, always getting her way and depending on her big brother for absolutely everything. When separated from Satoshi and forced to act on her own for the first time in her life, however, Yuka has only two options: take charge and survive, or panic and perish under Heavenly Host's many deadly torments. Does she have what it takes, or is this destined to be her last stand?

The Recently Departed

Nana Ogasawara
(Last seen in Corpse Party Exchap 1)
A student from Musashigawa Girls' Middle School, previously seen taking the lead in finding a strange gentlemanly ghost's hat and glasses. Although she lacks self-confidence, Nana is an intelligent, talented and thoroughly competent individual who quickly befriends Mayu after learning that they're both active members in their respective schools' drama clubs. Despite being roughly the same age as Yuka, Nana acts significantly older and wiser, giving the impression that she's "mature beyond her years."

Tsukasa Mikuni
(A new addition to the Corpse Party canon)
A classmate and love interest of Yui's from her high school days, Tsukasa was something of a lone wolf who spent much of his youth sitting on a bench at school and ruminating. He had a kind nature and a helpful disposition, however, which led to his chance encounter and burgeoning friendship with Yui. Though they never talked much in class, Tsukasa and Yui frequently sat together in the school courtyard and waxed poetic on the most inane of topics, thoroughly enjoying every minute of it.

Sayaka Ooue
(Last seen in the Corpse Party Name Tag List)
Naho's best friend, Sayaka is an up-and-coming radio celebrity and voice actress who skips class at Paulownia High for work even more often than Naho does. Always bright and cheery, she's really the only one who can make Naho come out of her shell, and frequently finds herself playing master to her BFF's sudden feline persona. Sayaka trusts Naho implicitly, and would follow her into the depths of hell itself if asked...

Mitsuki Yamamoto
(Last seen in Corpse Party Chapter 3)
One of the Byakudan High girls, regarded by her friends (usually in secret) as "Hellgirl Mitsuki." Though strong-willed and extremely demanding on the outside, Mitsuki is actually a very kind and conscientious person, always pushing to get done those tedious or unpleasant tasks that nobody really wants to do (but we all know we have to). As such, she's perfectly suited to her duties as student council clerk

Masato Fukuroi
(Last seen in Corpse Party Chapter 3 and Exchap 4)
President of Byakudan High's student council, Fukuroi is a largely humorless person -- all business, no play. He's easy to anger, but never holds a grudge, and his target is usually well-deserving of his ire. In times of crCIA, Fukuroi is one of the best people you can have at your side. Of course, in a place like Heavenly Host, where logic and reason hold no meaning, a cool head can only get you so far..

Nari Amatoya
A childhood friend of Nana's and classmate of Chihaya's. While Nana typically humors Chihaya's spoiled whinings, Nari sees that as enabling and instead chooses to exercise "tough love." This is indicative of her personality in general: a self-reliant, no-nonsense sort of person who believes it's better simply to do than to waste time worrying or bellyaching about life's little lemons. Whether or not this attitude can help keep her alive in an otherworldly hell, however, remains to be seen...

Chihaya Yamase
The third member of the Musashigawa middle school trio, and easily the most helpless on her own. Without Nari or (preferably) Nana present, Chihaya really can't handle the world around her. Everything scares her, from thunder to slight movement, and she has a nasty habit of latching onto the shoulders of whoever's most convenient (much to Nari's chagrin) whenever she experiences any form of sudden fright. Considering the nature of Heavenly Host, this could be a virtually insurmountable problem.

Tohko Kirisaki
(Last seen in Corpse Party Chapter 4)
An ordinary, fun-loving girl from Byakudan High. Has a major crush on Kizami, whom she believes to be an honest, honorable and generally even-tempered gentleman. He serves as something of an inspiration to her, giving her the courage to keep going even when things are looking grim. Should anything happen to change her image of Kizami, however...

Kai Shimada
Rude, boorish, violent and a renowned womanizer, Shimada is a street punk waiting to happen. Part of the Byakudan crowd, it's unclear how he actually wound up in his circle of friends, as nobody really seems to want him there. His impatience and general intolerance toward weak-willed men (and strong-willed women) often makes him a chore to be around, and he very clearly only ever thinks of himself. But the question is, will this powerful obstinacy make him harder to kill... or easier?

Emi Urabe
One of Tohko's friends from Byakudan High, Emi is a relatively well-regarded person thanks to her socially conscious behavior. She plays within the rules and says what people want to hear, and they like and respect her for it. In other words, she's pretty much the embodiment of the kind of person Kizami silently loathes. And within these horrid, blood-stained halls, perhaps social graces are more a detriment than they are a benefit...

Others: Ryosuke Katayama, Tomohiro Ohkawa, Kou Kibiki, Shougo Taguchi
(Last seen in Corpse Party Chapter 5,
Exchap 4 and Exchap 7)
When Katayama of Byakudan High is gravely injured, how will his best friend Ohkawa react? How did occult journalist Kou Kibiki wind up in Heavenly Host to begin with? And what became of his cameraman, Mr. Taguchi, after the two got separated? Corpse Party: Book of Shadows features an ensemble cast of characters, some of whom players will recognize from the first game, while others are only now being given life (brief though it may be).

If any lines have been missed, a message log is available for review on the ∆ button menu, containing a lengthy transcript of everything that's been said since the chapter began or the game was loaded.

If you've seen an event play out once before and wish to skip over it, simply hold the R button to fast-forward, releasing it once you've reached the desired point in the storyline.

If you come to a decision, think carefully and choose wisely, as the things you say and do can have an immediate (and often quite drastic) effect on the plot, leading to unpleasant "wrong ends."

Beware, though, as some decisions are timed, and failing to make up your mind before time is up could prove fatal!

When you see the Search Mode text appear on the upper-right corner of the screen, that means you now have full control over your lead character. Move the red targeting reticule around the room with either the brown townog stick or directional buttons, and if it turns blue, that means it's positioned over something (or someone) that can be examined or interacted with.

Press the X button to examine or interact with objects, people or spirits during Search Mode. This includes talking, opening cabinet doors, using keys in locks and other basic actions, as well as picking up items and reading memos.

During Search Mode, you can usually (but not always) press the L button to bring up a map of your immediate surroundings. While this map is displayed, you may position the red box around your destination and press the X button to begin walking there (or running, if you hold the R button). If you decide not to change your location, you may press the L button again to close the map.

Note that due to holes in the floor, locked doors, etc., certain locations may be at least temporarily inaccessible or impassable. These are represented by gray squares on the map, and attempting to select such a location (or any location on the opposite side of a gray square) will have no effect.

Beware, too, as obstacles will often pop up between you and your destination, interrupting your trek with an event scene that may unexpectedly drop you back into Search Mode in a dangerous and/or undesirable spot.

As in the first Corpse Party, the students under your control are neither the first nor only victims to be whisked away into the hell that is Heavenly Host. During the course of your struggle, you may encounter the remains of those who came before you, most of whom still have their student ID name tags intact (albeit buried within rib cages or lodged beneath unnameable viscera).

At any time during play, you may open the ∆ button menu to check your Name Tag List for a comprehensive overview of all the unfortunate souls you've thus far identified.

Your character will encounter corpses (both fully intact and otherwise), crazed writings, malevolent spirits, booby traps, hordes of insects and innumerable other horrors within Corpse Party: Book of Shadows' many cursed grounds. Each time something truly frightening is experienced, your Darkening meter (visible on the ∆ button menu) will be raised. As it climbs closer and closer to 100%, distortions begin to appear on the screen, growing in intensity and increasing in number as the Darkening takes hold of your mind.Once your Darkening has passed certain thresholds, your characters may begin to lose their ability to reason, causing them to see and react to the environment differently than they otherwise would.If any character's Darkening should reach 100%, the game will conclude with either a haunting "wrong end" or a straight-up Game Over..

Source(WARNING:If you are weak hearted or do not like seeing gory stuff, do not click this loving link.)

Corpse Party and its sequels are works of fiction,
but the astute history (and horror) buff may find some resemblances and inspiration from some real-world past events.

Corpse Party: Book of Shadows' final chapter ties directly into noteworthy events from the early 1900s and makes reference to reputed psychics from that era by name. If you're an English-speaker and you want to learn more about any of this, your options are very limited, since much of the information pertaining to these individuals and the controversy surrounding them is available exclusively in Japanese at the time of this writing.

We here at XSEED Games aren't content to leave you hanging, however, so we'd like to present to you a brief overview of the relevant historical events that have become collectively known to Japanese psychic enthusiasts as "Senrigan-Jiken" -- the Clairvoyance Controversy. This information has been cobbled together from a variety of sources in both Japanese and English, and much of it is incomplete or conflicting. We've done our best to keep everything as objective and accurate as possible, but some of these events are very much open to interpretation, so please excuse any factual errors that may be present.

Chizuko Mifune
A humble farm woman from Kumamoto prefecture named Chizuko Mifune married in 1908, and soon afterward learned through hypnotism experiments conducted by her brother-in-law Takeo Kiyohara that she may have possessed a talent for clairvoyance -- basically, the psychic ability to see through solid matter, or otherwise see things that are not readily visible. Supposedly, she was tasked with using these powers to catch some glimpse of the soldiers from Kumamoto's Sixth Division, who were fighting in the Russo-Japanese War at the time. She claimed to have "seen" these soldiers ship out from Nagasaki, then turn back shortly thereafter due to unexpected complications. This was later confirmed to be accurate and, at least theoretically, unknowable.

This incident proved to Kiyohara that Mifune had latent abilities, so he began teaching her meditation and breathing techniques that he believed would help her focus her powers. Mifune learned and utilized these techniques, and in less than two weeks, she claimed to be able to "see" worms in a nearby tree, hidden beneath its bark. When the bark was stripped away, worms of roughly the same length she described were found right where she said they would be.

After this point, she slowly gained more and more renown, joining Kiyohara to form something of an "alternative medicine" practice utilizing hypnotherapy and clairvoyance. She was eventually featured in the August 14th, 1909 edition of the Tokyo Asahi Shimbun newspaper for her treatment of former Kyoto Imperial University president Hiroji Kinostuffa.

This caught the attention of a professor at Kyoto Imperial University named Shinkichi Imamura, who would later in life come to be regarded as a pioneer in the field of mental illness. Imamura wished to test Mifune's abilities scientifically, and began running a series of well-documented experiments with her on February 19th, 1910 involving cards in sealed envelopes. These tests proved fruitful, as Mifune was able to "see" the words or phrases written on these cards with a high degree of accuracy.

Tomokichi Fukurai
Imamura contacted an acquaintance of his, Dr. Tomokichi Fukurai of Tokyo Imperial University, and upon their joint visit to Kumamoto in April 1910, a more rigorous series of experiments was conducted. Although some of these experiments resulted in failure (leading to sporadic bouts of depression on Mifune's part), the testing process was slowly altered and refined with elements such as colored ink, foil, thick stacks of paper, cards with nothing written on them, cards with thoughts projected onto them, etc. to help ascertain the limits of Mifune's powers. This ultimately led to record high success rates in subsequent testing, encouraging all involved to proceed even farther with their research and experimentation. All of the procedures employed during these tests were thoroughly detailed in Fukurai's book, "Clairvoyance and Thoughtography," which has since been made available in English.

Upon Fukurai's return to Tokyo on April 25th, he published his findings and gained a fair deal of notoriety, putting Mifune in the limelight as well. This led to Mifune visiting Tokyo a few months later on September 14th to "perform" in public before a panel of scientists and journalists. However, the test materials prepared by these observers were allegedly switched out for others prepared by Fukurai himself, leading many to speculate that the two were orchestrating a hoax together. (Interestingly, these experiments are among the few that aren't covered or even mentioned in Fukurai's book, which skips from September 5th all the way to November 17th.)

She attempted the experiments again over the next couple days with her usual high success rate, but the damage had already been done, and the scientific community found themselves understandably hesitant to trust her abilities. This was perhaps also due in part to her unfortunate habit of undergoing psychic experiments from a closed room with no witnesses, generally with the sealed envelope in her possession, leading many to suspect deception.

Despite this, Mifune steadfastly declined to conduct clairvoyance experiments with others present. The only compromise she'd make was allowing an "audience" to witness her actions from the next room through a sliding screen, with her back to them so they were completely out of her line of sight. And after making this concession, her accuracy seemed to suffer (though her success rate was still quite high).

Her public discrediting, however, seemed to affect her deeply -- and though Fukurai still believed in her abilities, he also had begun turning his attention toward another psychic by the name of Ikuko Nagao, which may have piled on top of existing family issues and put her into a state of depression. Whatever the case, Mifune allegedly committed Self Delete by poisoning a few months later on January 18th or 19th, 1911 (the exact date seems to vary depending on the source). Even after death, however, she and Nagao frequently bore the brunt of attacks from the mass media and various scientific organizations, causing the last few years of her life to become forever intertwined with the Clairvoyance Controversy yet to come.

Ikuko Nagao
Ikuko Nagao, the second of Fukurai's research subjects, was the daughter of a retainer to the Tokuyama Daimyo and wife of Yokichi Nagao, a renowned judge from the city of Marugame in Kagawa prefecture. She was 40 at the time, and had taken up devout worshipping of the Shinto sun goddess, Amaterasu, as well as the Buddhist god of mercy, Kwanjeon, following the death of her first son. Supposedly, these practices opened her eyes to her own innate clairvoyant powers, and resulted in her accurately predicting future tragedies for several years, granting her some degree of infamy (both good and bad) among her friends and neighbors. When news of Chizuko Mifune's experiments was brought to her attention, she began undergoing similar experiments with notable success. This, in turn, brought Nagao to the attention of Fukurai, who then consulted with Imamura once more to carry out experiments on this new subject, perhaps hoping for better results than what Mifune had been providing as of late.

Experimental procedures began on November 12th, 1910, and while Nagao's accuracy was not quite up to par with Mifune's, she immediately proved a more outwardly convincing psychic due to her ability to "perform" in front of crowds, as well as her lack of need for any physical contact with the test materials. The two professors and other observers, impressed with these results, decided to up the ante a bit by introducing nensha, or "thoughtography" experiments into the mix. A relatively new concept at the time, thoughtography typically entails a psychically active subject projecting his/her own thoughts onto concrete objects -- in this case, undeveloped photographic plates -- effectively manifesting images or words from his/her mind into the physical world. Initially, these experiments came about by accident, as Nagao was being tested to determine if she could "see" writing which had been previously applied to photographic plates but left undeveloped, thus rendering it effectively invisible to the naked eye and existing only "in potentia." However, when some of the plates in question were later found to be partially or fully developed despite remaining completely covered and unexposed to light, Fukurai was convinced that Nagao had essentially developed them with her mind, and adjusted his experiments to confirm or deny this.

Amazingly, these experiments proved successful and were continued for quite some time, becoming progressively more complex as shapes, images and eventually complex kanji characters were clearly projected onto the undeveloped plates. As with Mifune's experiments, each of the tests Fukurai and Imamura conducted with Nagao have been meticulously documented, complete with photographs, in Fukurai's book "Clairvoyance and Thoughtography."

These experiments continued to yield more and more impressive results, and eventually an idea was proposed to replace the photographic plates with actual film. Upon attempting this substitution, however, the experiment was cut short by an alleged break-in and theft, which culminated with Nagao supposedly using her clairvoyance to find the stolen film, upon which a threat to her life was now written. This led Fukurai to conclude that someone was trying to interfere with his work, and the supposed interloper's actions would continue to be blamed for the troubles that were soon to follow.

Senrigan-Jiken
Due to the promise Nagao showed, Fukurai and Imamura fell into the same trap as before, accepting a request from Yale-educated physicist and former Tokyo Imperial University president Kenjiro Yamakawa to sit in on the clairvoyance and thoughtography experiments of January 4th, 1911. Noriatsu Fuji, a notable physics lecturer and skeptic, joined him for the purpose of scrutinizing both the location and all the materials that were to be used in the test. As it happens, Fuji was also responsible for preparing the experimental materials, but omitted the plate upon which the thoughtographs were to be projected that day (either by accident or with intent to sabotage the proceedings), bringing Nagao to tears as she desperately tried to convince those in attendance that she couldn't continue the experiment due to the most important item being absent from the sealed bag in the other room.

The whole day's events proved to be a disaster: Fuji had basically crafted this experiment as a trap, hiding numerous leaden crosses, lines of manganese and "the smoke of smouldering oil" on the bag to ensure that any tampering by a third party would be made readily apparent. And sure enough, in addition to the lack of the much-needed photographic plate, there was indeed evidence that someone had tampered with the bag -- though it was all very inconclusive and questionable. This led Nagao to distrust Fuji's methods, and Fuji likewise to distrust Nagao's abilities. As such, Nagao absolutely refused to conduct any further experiments with Yamakawa or Fuji ever again, and Fuji's published article on February 15th publicly denounced Nagao's thoughtography as little more than sleight-of-hand.

It didn't help, either, that rumors had begun circulating which suggested Nagao was having an affair with an up-and-coming hypnotism instructor named Takayuki Yokose, who had previously taken up lodging in her home. This quickly became the dominant topic of conversation, stealing any legitimate headlines Nagao might otherwise have seen and relegating the truth behind her clairvoyance and thoughtography abilities to the position of secondary footnote.

On February 26th, 1911, Ikuko Nagao died of septic pneumonia after a month-long struggle against influenza. This was less than two weeks after Fuji's article had gone public, leaving her unable to defend her reputation. Her husband attempted a rebuttal, but by this time the whole situation had become a veritable media circus. Between Nagao's private affairs and alleged hoaxing and Chizuko Mifune's suspect methodologies -- not to mention both of their inconveniently-timed and somewhat dubious passings -- psychic research throughout Japan had suddenly gotten a bad name. Clairvoyants in particular became a hot target for the mass media, who decried their abilities not only as unscientific, but almost as a threat to science. Virtually overnight, all opportunities to advance the studies of clairvoyance and thoughtography were lost as the general public came to regard such studies as foolish endeavors.

Despite this, Fukurai would continue his research for quite some time, taking other promising psychics under his wing (including Sadako Takahashi, whose life events famously inspired plot developments in the modern Japanese horror classic Ringu), but his credibility had plummeted to such an extent that any evidence he presented was promptly dismissed by the scientific community at large. Labeled a fraud by his peers, he eventually resigned from Tokyo Imperial University in 1919, electing to continue his experiments in private.

Prior to his death in 1952, Tomokichi Fukurai established a paranormal investigation agency in the Aoba ward of Sendai City known as the Fukurai Institute of Psychology, which survives to this day and serves as his legacy.