How unsecure Craigslist actually is:

Author Topic: How unsecure Craigslist actually is:  (Read 2430 times)

Here I'll be showing you what happened to me yesterday and today with my associations around Craigslist, and this is why you should stay away from this unsecure website.

Right, yesterday I was in a deep urge to get an iPhone 5, since I was supposed to get one when it was released, although I was short on cash and I had to deduct my standards to an iPhone 4S. This was fine because the iPhone 4S was just as beautiful as the iPhone 5, if not better. I looked around on eBay to see if any iPhones were going for a very decent price, around the £200-£300 budget, I didn't find a single thing which was immaculate as I'd want it to be, considering I'd be selling my iPhone 4S to get the money. (And my iPhone 4S is immaculate, every time I inspect it, it feels like I had just got it out of the box for its very first time.) I didn't find anything on eBay, and this is where it took me on to looking for one on Craiglist.

Craigslist is popular, I didn't right know about it much during the time I was browsing these really cheap iPhone 5's. I came across this listing which looked so legitimate I would have straight away bought it. I consulted my dad about it since he's usually right. He said it'd have been fake and that Craigslist is a scammers paradise. Meanwhile I ignored him and consulted the seller. Here's what I sent him first:

Quote from: Me to seller
Hey,
I was wondering if you would be able to give me more information about your iPhone 5's that you're selling because I am looking for one. I live in Sheffield and I shall pay extra for postage and package if you're willing to do that for me. Please contact me further asap please!

Thanks,
Darren.

Phone: -removed-
E-mail: -removed-

I then quickly got a reply back during the same night with a reply saying this:

Quote from: Seller to me
Sure darren it's still for sale, another indivual is instrested but is offering 220 if you can give me a better offer then I can post it to you
This is where I usually get concerned, due to the lack of information within the email, for example, the casual 'thanks' at the bottom and the 'hey -name-' at the top, and that his formatting was absolutely stuff. I'm not saying I'm great at grammar and spelling myself but I can definitely make myself look capable to send formal emails.

That didn't stop me though, I wrote this and pressed the send button:

Could you give me some more pictures? because on the craigslist pictures I can see some scratches on the bezel area. Also could you add a signature on the image too to make sure it isn't a stock image on google? I can't be too sure because Craiglist is much more run down than eBay and I don't want to get scammed. I can't take any risks.

Do you also accept Paypal as a payment? That's the only way I can send payments.

Bobs your tea pot, I sent that and I got a reply the next day with the following email, attached with an image. At this point I thought he was a legitimate seller and that I was going to be negotiating prices with him.

Quote from: Seller to me
Hi darren,
the only scratch is on the bottom as you can see in the image attached, I didnt understand what you meant by add a signature? And sure I understand why, because ebay is much more safer then CL, im 100% legit - my Name is Pat -removed- H -removed- - i live in london, and sure I accept paypal payments- please reply to me with your offer

thanks pat

Attachment

(click for bigger image)

His formatting of his email got better and he supplied me with a very high quality image, it was completely different in comparison to the other low quality images shown on the Craigslist listing. I then woke up this morning to see that he replied and that he gave me another image, I was happy; I replied to him with this without even thinking. (I was still half asleep so I didn't right think about it.)
Hi Pat,
Thanks for your reply, I'm willing to offer you £260, but I can only get that money after I've sold my old phone off, which I can easily get £250 on, would you be able to hold onto it whilst I sell my iPhone on eBay? I'll send you a link to the listing later in the day so you know I'm not wasting your time.

Thanks,
Darren
This was an hour before I realized, holy loving stuff, he's probably got that image off Google, because it's so loving high quality! I was right, I then used Google's image searcher.

Searched the image and this was my result:

I was scammed.

I gave him a quick reply and told him this:
Hey Pat,

I was looking around on google for an image quite familiar to that and then I came across something quite hilarious, plenty of stock images from Gizmodo and other news websites. Look at the picture in the attachments, thats what it all came up with.

I hope this wasn't a scamming attempt.

Here's the moral of the story... Don't buy anything off Craigslist unless you're 100% certain.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 07:11:10 AM by nerraD »

Certainly looks fake.
I'd always do that kind of check before purcashing  something, anyway

Craigslist is filled with a bunch of scammers and rednecks, don't ever buy from there.

I never use craiglist, not worth your time.

My dad owns Craigslist!! THIS IS OFFENSIVE

PPL, CRAIGSLIST IS 100% LEGIT

Craigslist is filled with a bunch of scammers and rednecks, don't ever buy from there.
I have bought and sold very safely via craigslist many times. You have the ability to report poor users.

Also always opt to meet the other guy in person to complete the transaction
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 08:07:48 AM by dorkdotdan »

Craigslist has so many nice people.
A guy sold me a pound of dog food for $20 and when the package arrived to my house, THERE WAS NO DOG FOOD!

so legit mang

Yeah, my dad almost got scammed out of $400 until he did an image search on google. Google is amazing.

Yeah, my dad almost got scammed out of $400 until he did an image search on google. Google is amazing.

ur dads fault
craigslist is 30299291% legit
it not possible to get scamd on it k

ur dads fault
craigslist is 30299291% legit
it not possible to get scamd on it k

gtfo already, you're not funny

gtfo already, you're not funny

you are just jelly that my dads company was a success