Religion Poll (Please take a second to take!)

Poll

What is your beliefs?

Christian
86 (31.6%)
Atheist
95 (34.9%)
Agnostic
43 (15.8%)
Buddhist
1 (0.4%)
Hindu
0 (0%)
Humanist
3 (1.1%)
Judiasm
2 (0.7%)
Islam
3 (1.1%)
Other (Explain perhaps?)
27 (9.9%)
Satanist
12 (4.4%)

Total Members Voted: 272

Author Topic: Religion Poll (Please take a second to take!)  (Read 11418 times)

Not wondering about the creation of the universe is denial of curiosity, and lack of curiosity in my opinion is refusal to learn. The religious-nonreligious debate is irrelevant, every person should be driven to look for how we came to be.
It has just never really interested me, and always been to much trouble and annoyance to think about. I prefer living in the moment and thinking "yes this is all real and everything here exists" rather than have to dwell on some unproven possible past that no longer affects me.
I mean you don't have to know who invented cake to think it's delicious.

Not wondering about the creation of the universe is denial of curiosity, and lack of curiosity in my opinion is refusal to learn. The religious-nonreligious debate is irrelevant, every person should be driven to look for how we came to be.
Not really, it allows you to be curious about things that you actually stand a chance of understanding. And it allows you to learn about things that are going to help you instead of searching for an answer that no one has.

It can be fun if you're bored to try and think of an explanation, but you're better off using that time to revise for a test or write birthday cards.

Atheist master race is most common on the forums

I feel like figuring out what created everything might be one of the least important questions there are to answer right now. There are a lot of things we could figure out to make life better for everyone.

Agnosticism isn't necessarily believing in nothing, it's just admitting that you don't know.
I tend to refer to myself as areligious

I was taken into a christian school and lead to its beliefs when I was young, and when I had doubts about christianity miracles happend.

If you say that the bible never mentions anything about dinosaur's, I say that the dinosaurs became extinct because they didn't fit in Noah's ark.  :cookieMonster:

Not really, it allows you to be curious about things that you actually stand a chance of understanding. And it allows you to learn about things that are going to help you instead of searching for an answer that no one has.

It can be fun if you're bored to try and think of an explanation, but you're better off using that time to revise for a test or write birthday cards.
Pushing the boundary of knowledge is not idle thinking, it's the most important type. Because it doesn't have an application yet does not mean that it's useless. It only takes one person to put the pieces together and make something wonderful.

Pushing the boundary of knowledge is not idle thinking, it's the most important type. Because it doesn't have an application yet does not mean that it's useless. It only takes one person to put the pieces together and make something wonderful.
What's so important about trying to think up an answer that you will never know whether or not it's even right.
It's like trying to randomly guess the name of a man born in England on October 5th 1659, you can completely believe that the name you guessed was right but whether or not it was wont make any difference to your life.

What's so important about trying to think up an answer that you will never know whether or not it's even right.
It's like trying to randomly guess the name of a man born in England on October 5th 1659, you can completely believe that the name you guessed was right but whether or not it was wont make any difference to your life.
The scientific method is the furthest thing from guess work you can imagine, and science has made many steps to improve your life.

The scientific method is the furthest thing from guess work you can imagine, and science has made many steps to improve your life.
There's a good deal of guessing involved in science as well, trust me (I do guessing on a daily basis :D). Scientists are just better at guessing than most other people. And about 90% of all inventions were either mistakes or complete coincidences.

And I don't get why people always argument as if science and religion are two complete opposites. Being religious does not mean that you completely deny science. Believing in Darwins theory of evolution does not necessarily exclude the existance of a deity.

Yes science has improved my life, but their theories of the creation of the universe have not.

guys instead of researching the big bang we should research cool stuff

like space flight

or cold fusion

The poll is inaccurate because Atheism is not a religious belief. It is the absence of religious beliefs.
Every religion poll there's always someone who goes "HURR ATHEISM NOT RELIGION"
While you are correct, what are you asking for? For it it be removed from the poll? It's a very real position and needs to be represented.

Otherwise religions in general wouldn't grow at all.
For the most part, it doesn't grow, except parents telling it to their children before they've developed critical thinking skills, and missions to undeveloped countries unaware of science.

Certainly not. But if I genuinely believe that is a consequence, and I don't at least try in whatever ways to spread the good news, then how can I call myself a follower of Jesus Christ?
People choose to not believe not because they haven't heard about Jesus before, but because they have heard it, and decide that they don't believe it.

So I work at a retail store that's not on commission, but we offer an insurance / protection plan on our products. At first I always felt uncomfortable offering it up, because I didn't want to  feel like a car salesman. But as I worked past that I realized that if I didn't bring it up, they didn't get the option at all to buy it for that device when they may have needed it. Now maybe they would purchase it on their next device, but they could've lost a great deal of money from the first device. This is in a way a bit similar. But I believe the magnitude of the decision is a lot greater than deciding if you want to buy a warranty...
Don't feel bad. Protections plans are just another way for companies to make more money. In some cases I think they just offer the same exact thing as the manufacturer's warranty. Of course if the commpany requires you to offer it, do it so you don't lose your job or something.

guys instead of researching the big bang we should research cool stuff

like space flight

or cold fusion
Ironically last night I stayed up to watch a bunch of NASA videos about Space Exploration to Mars and such, and I felt like this would be a feat for the human kind instead of twiddling in Earth.

Space exploration is really what we should be using money on. It's cool.