Author Topic: bring back the Maps!  (Read 6815 times)

i dont want interiors or terrain back. if they're going to add anything similar, let it be a redone or completely new system that isn't so difficult to work with and old. terrain maps for a lot of people became an excuse to place down 3 buildings on one side and 3 on the other and call them bases and then have some shoddy fighting. basewars is about the only good argument involving terrain. now, a player cant just plop down 2 square huts on opposite sides of the map and call it a server, nobody ever joins these. (except tezunis but thats just not even a statistic) in a way, i think shadows and shaders have promoted people to build more and build better and im totally fine with this. tdms and etc are always better done and executed on a brick-made structure or area.
Here's the funny thing: If Blockland started with no terrains or interiors, then they were added, nobody would complain that they're ruining gameplay by making people lazy. (Except maybe the handicapped doomsday prophets who say Blockland is going downhill but we get those every three weeks anyway.) Nobody ever complained about them when they were originally there, nobody ever asked for them to be removed. If you don't necessarily want them back, that's fine. Just stop making up idiotic reasons to shoot down people who do.

Here's the funny thing: If Blockland started with no terrains or interiors, then they were added, nobody would complain that they're ruining gameplay by making people lazy. (Except maybe the handicapped doomsday prophets who say Blockland is going downhill but we get those every three weeks anyway.) Nobody ever complained about them when they were originally there, nobody ever asked for them to be removed. If you don't necessarily want them back, that's fine. Just stop making up idiotic reasons to shoot down people who do.
Here's another funny thing.
Half the reason Blockland got so popular was because of terrain, because back then we didn't have the most amazing bricks and vehicles so the terrain made up for the lack thereof. Because we've come to amazing advances, terrains are outdated. We've got more vehicles, weapons, bricks, effects, than we even need. Back then we didn't, and if we didn't have terrain in the beginning we would get far.
But now that we have shadows, and everything I listed above, we're able to replace terrain and interiors with better builds.

i feel as though maps and terrains were still just a tool for the lazy. maybe if somebody made really legit builds on them that would be ok but people seemed to just use them as an excuse to make horrible and stuffty builds, usually thrown together in 5 minutes tops.

does effort not exist anymore

i mean come the forget on

Events have been done as an add-on before the official ones and the ones we have now could also have been done with an add-on
Yes I know, I was there, and I don't think you read my whole statement. It wasn't that events couldn't be done with an addon but that they wouldn't have gotten the adoption they have if they weren't added into the game like they are now. They can be used on any server at any time.

Here's another funny thing.
Half the reason Blockland got so popular was because of terrain, because back then we didn't have the most amazing bricks and vehicles so the terrain made up for the lack thereof. Because we've come to amazing advances, terrains are outdated. We've got more vehicles, weapons, bricks, effects, than we even need. Back then we didn't, and if we didn't have terrain in the beginning we would get far.
But now that we have shadows, and everything I listed above, we're able to replace terrain and interiors with better builds.
Meh, replacing terrains and interior with better builds may seem to work from a building standpoint but I'm not sure if you can see past that. This game isn't just a building game contrary to what it says on the front page of the website. It's a sandbox game. We don't just build but build, play, interact, drive, etc.
Terrain had some uses including: Skiing, large mountain builds without the need to explode the brick count, nice collisions, infinite repeatability, and I'm sure there's more.
Interiors provided a bit less but I did like them for a few reasons. There were never any cool maps that were to the scale of blockheads (except for that construct map and tutorial) but the textures and lighting back before shaders made them nice. Even the fact that they couldn't be blown up, destroyed, etc made it easier to build things in certain situations. I made a racetrack gamemode that had interiors and triggers and some other things which won't work now because I wouldn't be able to load the map.

Ever played Garry's Mod? What if all the maps were replaced with a flat sheet and a skybox? Building things out of props would be fun, but there aren't any permanent walls to build on, there arent any hills to build behind, there aren't any cliffs to build in. Source engine maps are outdated by today's standards (lightmaps being the example I can think off of the top of my head), but they still pull a ton of weight in that game. I'm a mapper myself and I can say just mapping was fun because I love architecture.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 05:22:58 PM by DYLANzzz »

Block terrains are either small or lack detail. In gameplay, they do not compare to the original. Sure, they may not have looked great, but neither does seeing a jeep rocket into the air because another bumped into it, nor does anything transparent not rendering if it's behind a transparent brick, nor does only seeing a small number of lights at once and having them pop in and out glaringly as you move. If we cut out everything from Blockland that doesn't look up to modern day standards, we'd probably have to lose shadows, too, since they look pixelated and poorly detailed even on the highest settings.

Block terrains are either small or lack detail. In gameplay, they do not compare to the original. Sure, they may not have looked great, but neither does seeing a jeep rocket into the air because another bumped into it, nor does anything transparent not rendering if it's behind a transparent brick, nor does only seeing a small number of lights at once and having them pop in and out glaringly as you move. If we cut out everything from Blockland that doesn't look up to modern day standards, we'd probably have to lose shadows, too, since they look pixelated and poorly detailed even on the highest settings.
With that little snip you took out, I just wanted to clarify the incline in creativity and actual originality because of the removal of terrain. People have started appreciating other aspects of the game more. I myself will admit that before shaders, I was lazy and depended on the terrain to make my builds look good, when now I actually have the motivation to make it look superb.

With that little snip you took out, I just wanted to clarify the incline in creativity and actual originality because of the removal of terrain. People have started appreciating other aspects of the game more. I myself will admit that before shaders, I was lazy and depended on the terrain to make my builds look good, when now I actually have the motivation to make it look superb.
Post hoc ergo propter hoc

english motherforgeter, do you speak it? pump fiction reference

... thanks, dill, i never woulda caught that.

also he's saying that you're changing your argument to fit what the said

just in a really latin way
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 11:52:04 PM by Bushido »

Well, it's his experience, so I think he'd know the cause. However, I could see how he might be abusing that fallacy if he's talking about everyone.

english motherforgeter, do you speak it? pump fiction reference
what? what? what? SAY IT AGAIN I DARE YOU

Bring back maps please! Blockland will never be the same, you say build one? It still, wont be the same. You say they complicate the code? Put some efford into it and work harder! You say shadows and shaders are better? In real life I can see my shadow but I cannot build in a supersized bedroom.

Oh, and bump.

Bring back maps please! Blockland will never be the same, you say build one? It still, wont be the same. You say they complicate the code? Put some efford into it and work harder! You say shadows and shaders are better? In real life I can see my shadow but I cannot build in a supersized bedroom.

Oh, and bump.
STOP