Poll

Phobia of the day: arachnophobia. Are you arachnophobic?

Yes
29 (42.6%)
No
39 (57.4%)

Total Members Voted: 68

Author Topic: Phobias  (Read 2832 times)

arachnids & insects
heights
large bodies of water
clone v.117

I grew a small arachnophobic after I saw this...

Anyways, I have a severe case of Phasmophobia.

The fear of the paranormal.

I have my reasons, so don't start your unreasonable crap about "Ghosts aren't Real"

That's YOU GUYS' opinion.

ITT:
>spiders are scary
>I MUST HAVE A PHOBIA OF THEM

I haven't seen a word used this loosely since the special interest thread.
clone v.117
yes hello

A phobia is exaggerated and irrational by definition.
Exaggeration can vary by personal opinion.
And most people haven't said how they react to a spider when they've called themselves arachnophobic.
Jumping out of a seat, or running away is exaggerated. Other members of my family who aren't scared of spiders would just slowly get up and find something to pick it up with. I can't go near them at all and freak out if they come near me. That's certainly an exaggerated response to them.

And a fear of spiders is irrational. In the UK atleast, there are very very few species of spider that have any form of venom at all, let alone lethal varieties (unless you just happen to be alergic to them). There's a small number that can even bite.
To flee in fear is irrational.
You could say that it's a more rational response, since spiders can be dangerous (so who wouldn't move away from them), but the very same can be said of dogs. Dogs are much more likely to kill a person than any spider is to even bite someone, and a dog bite would hurt more and likely do more damage. But you'd probably consider someone with a complete phobia of dogs to be irrational.

Adding to mine, I also have a phobia of Moths.
Butterflies I'm fine with. I wouldn't necessarily want them landing on me, but Moths I can't stand. The look, the sound, the feel. Their presence scares me, and in the autumn when they all head indoors to try and survive, I feel constant paranoia at them being near me (since you often can't see them hiding in the dark or on fabrics).

I also have a slight fear/discomfort towards caterpillars and woodlice. Caterpillars look nice (or some do) but the feel of them puts me off, and some just creep me out being near them. Woodlice I'm not afraid to see, but touching them sends a shiver down my spine. I can touch and hold them, which I've done in school as part of experiments, but it does weird me out.

I have

Bathophobia
Mycrophobia

and a few more that I can't think of right now

I wasn't disagreeing with Electrk, per se, just saying his definition was lacking.

I didn't mean to have a go at you, you just made clear points that others were making in other ways, so I worked off your post.

I don't think it really matters what we determine the exact meaning of phobia to be. The topic isn't about meeting clinical requirements for a phobia, so much as sharing what you're afraid of. And if most people are afraid of spiders, then so be it. It's a common and logical thing to have a fear of.

Nice way to make people have heart attacks at their desks, pass out, have a frigging heart arrhythmia, go to the ER, and pass away.

Yellow Jackets are friendly. Wasp are mean.

Nice way to make people have heart attacks at their desks, pass out, have a frigging heart arrhythmia, go to the ER, and pass away.
How does one drive oneself to the emergency room after simultaneously having a heart attack, passing out, and developing a heart arrhythmia?

Spiders

Go be stupid somewhere else
Insert maroon rage here
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 08:31:49 PM by NalNalas »

How does one drive oneself to the emergency room after simultaneously having a heart attack, passing out, and developing a heart arrhythmia?
Maybe they have a friend nice enough to phone an ambulance, or drive them theirselves. :3