Author Topic: Should I switch from Windows 7 to Linux?  (Read 494 times)

I'm really trying to decide this.

1. Linux takes up less space

2. It's faster

3. Free updates

-

Yeah, I'm just kinda confused on what to do.

Down sides:

1. Not as many games / programs supported on Linux

2. I'd have to reinstall bunches of things.

Stick to W7 for now, the pros outweight the cons (but that's going to change in a couple of years, maybe.)
Unless if you wear a fedora, support MRA's and strictly only listen to dubstep.

No. Don't advise it, I've tried it. Dubstep also sucks.

I'd say to try it out in a virtual machine to see if you like it enough to use it as a main operating system.

One thing I would advise not to do is to completely erase windows 7. If you find that linux is your thing, look up a tutorial on how to dual boot it with W7, so you can use both interchangeably.

Have you decided on a distro? If not, if you're new to linux, Ubuntu or Linux Mint will probably be the easiest to use.

Tripleboot W7, Mint, and Cinnarch.

Stick to W7 for now, the pros outweight the cons (but that's going to change in a couple of years, maybe.)
I disagree. Linux is a viable alternative for most purposes nowadays, unless you play a lot of AAA games that don't play nicely with WINE or need it for professional work in an area where the industry-specific stuff doesn't run well under it. For example, CivV is a bit messed up, and I doubt CoD would work that well, but many Indie games are either natively ported or run fine under WINE. Blizzard games also tend to work well under WINE.

Unless if you wear a fedora, support MRA's and strictly only listen to dubstep.
Can we stop with the stereotyping and hear some real arguments instead?

I'd say to try it out in a virtual machine to see if you like it enough to use it as a main operating system.

One thing I would advise not to do is to completely erase windows 7. If you find that linux is your thing, look up a tutorial on how to dual boot it with W7, so you can use both interchangeably.
This, absolutely.

Have you decided on a distro? If not, if you're new to linux, Ubuntu or Linux Mint will probably be the easiest to use.
While I admire Ubuntu's purpose, personally I've had far more "out of the box" success with Arch. However, Arch requires quite a bit of manual work, especially to install (which is a double-edged sword, it requires more work and takes more time, but it teaches you more about how it works under the hood and you get less unused crap). I have no personal experience with Mint, however.

Tripleboot W7, Mint, and Cinnarch.
Pointless in most cases to multi-boot multiple distributions.