how's my essay

Author Topic: how's my essay  (Read 912 times)

http://pastebin.com/4gezVdeA

I want to get some feedback. Don't expect much; I'm not very passionate about this subject, and it's for English 1. It's meant to be persuasive.

EDIT: made changes to essay, repasted.

EDIT: changed after reading seventh's suggestions

EDIT: changed  a bit more after rereading

Final Edit for 6/16/13: changed some more. please keep critiquing, i can change it til roughly noon tomorrow.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 12:56:52 AM by ultimamax »

nice, but there is ALWAYS room for improvement   :cookieMonster:

- remove comma in "school, to prepare"

That's the only issue I saw as I don't have time to read the rest.

- remove comma in "school, to prepare"

That's the only issue I saw as I don't have time to read the rest.
fixed

I really like this essay. I dont really know how to improve it, but  for some reason feel that the term "tunnel vision" could be thrown into the second paragraph. You could also expand on the funding portion of it by mentioning how counter-initiative it is to give troubled school less money.

i have a friend who writes a-grade papers for students. for like 20-40 bucks depending how long or how much research needed. original real work :D

sounds hot. too bad i have no money. also i have to do a speech based on my essay so it'd help to have written it myself. :p

i think AYP doesn't cut funds now that I look at it. my entire essay may need rewriting.

some light suggestions/improvements

second paragraph, second sentence:
instead of
These tests are critical to the school’s funding, so teachers are pushed to make the main part of their curriculum about memorizing what will be on the test, so their school can stay above the water.
try
No Child Left Behind, or NCLB, requires tests that determine the school's funding.  Teachers are forced to make the majority of the curriculum based on the test's information and practice memorizing the information in order to ensure that the school will have adequate funding.

second paragraph, fourth sentence:
While state tests reflect improvement of improvements in math and science, as well as a narrower more narrow achievement gap,[2] the fact alone that states can set their own test score standards nullifies the data; the data is too garbled to come to any meaningful conclusion.
above are my noted corrections, however the italicized seems unnecessary and the underlined may be a poor word choice.  i wouldn't say nullified, but i'm having a hard time thinking of an alternative.  the phrase "as well as a more narrow achievement gap" is also weird, and you may want to get rid of that as well because it adds confusion to the idea in this sentence.

2nd para, next sentence:
Since NCLB was signed in, reading scores on the National Assessment of Educational Progress have stagnated, the rate of improvement of math scores has slowed, and the achievement gap on the NAEP has widened.[2] (this was evaluated in 2008).
the ending parenthetical citation is placed wrong.  try this:
NCLB statistics from 2008 showed that reading scores on the National Assessment of Educational Progress have stagnated, the rate of improvement of math scores has declined, and the achievement gap on the NAEP has widened.

3rd para, 1st sentence:
The aforementioned tests are much more than busywork however; they affect the school’s funding.
don't say "are much more".  just say "are more than".  "much" is a noisy word here and just acts as a piece of fluff in the way.

last paragraph, you may want to say "issue a funding boost" instead of "bailout" but it's not really a biggie.

essay was well written though, just those slight grammatical whatnots.

i have a friend who writes a-grade papers for students. for like 20-40 bucks depending how long or how much research needed. original real work :D
eugh, that's lame though.  yeah you could pay to get a paper written but for an essay where it's just like "write something persuasive" you shouldn't have to pay someone to write that for you :s

some light suggestions/improvements

second paragraph, second sentence:
instead oftry
second paragraph, fourth sentence:above are my noted corrections, however the italicized seems unnecessary and the underlined may be a poor word choice.  i wouldn't say nullified, but i'm having a hard time thinking of an alternative.  the phrase "as well as a more narrow achievement gap" is also weird, and you may want to get rid of that as well because it adds confusion to the idea in this sentence.

2nd para, next sentence:the ending parenthetical citation is placed wrong.  try this:
3rd para, 1st sentence:don't say "are much more".  just say "are more than".  "much" is a noisy word here and just acts as a piece of fluff in the way.

last paragraph, you may want to say "issue a funding boost" instead of "bailout" but it's not really a biggie.

essay was well written though, just those slight grammatical whatnots.
eugh, that's lame though.  yeah you could pay to get a paper written but for an essay where it's just like "write something persuasive" you shouldn't have to pay someone to write that for you :s
Okay I made some changes. I'll update the link above.

I'm a bit scared. I don't think AYP actually results in fund cuts. But my teacher didn't know that. Should I risk doing a speech, given that somebody could out this error? Or should I rewrite? If you look at the bottom of the paste, you'll see some of the points I would base any rewriting on.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 11:18:56 PM by ultimamax »

Unfortunately, the drafters of No Child Left Behind have tried to reinvent the education system very fast without taking a step back to see how the changes affect anything.
correct me if i'm wrong but i believe this is supposed to be quickly - and i would refrain from using the word very but your choice i guess. as a reference you used it 12 times in the paper - feels a little much.

Content that won’t be on these tests is made secondary or eliminated completely, content that may be important otherwise.
this feels really awkward, might want to break into 2 sentences or something.. iunno.

some of these things rather shady
i wouldn't use shady in an english paper but that's probably just me.

more general things:
-watch your sentence length, you tend to run on for a long time and overuse commas
-does your teacher allow you to use the first person? mine don't and i just want to make sure you don't get drilled for that
-is that your actual bibliography text? please tell me it's not

correct me if i'm wrong but i believe this is supposed to be quickly - and i would refrain from using the word very but your choice i guess. as a reference you used it 12 times in the paper - feels a little much.
this feels really awkward, might want to break into 2 sentences or something.. iunno.
i wouldn't use shady in an english paper but that's probably just me.

more general things:
-watch your sentence length, you tend to run on for a long time and overuse commas
-does your teacher allow you to use the first person? mine don't and i just want to make sure you don't get drilled for that
-is that your actual bibliography text? please tell me it's not
changes considered. thanks.
1. alright i'll do that.
2. yes but he said to avoid it. how many times did i use it?
3. oh forget no lel. mla citations will be in final version.

EDIT: ON ELECTRK'S DIVINE BEHEST, I HAVE EDITED MY REPLY TO SUIT HIS NEEDS
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 11:46:11 PM by ultimamax »

EDIT: ON ELECTRK'S DIVINE BEHEST, I HAVE EDITED MY REPLY TO SUIT HIS NEEDS

I am still not satisfied, knave