Author Topic: Are shadows and shaders cast by brick lights and player lights impossible?  (Read 1496 times)

Are they impossible, or is there a possibility of seeing those in the future?

As if the current shaders didn't kill fps enough

As if the current shaders didn't kill fps enough
they don't

not for me at least (and i play on max)

they don't

not for me at least (and i play on max)
You must have a damn good computer, I can't run shaders on minimum without my fps dropping extremely.

You must have a damn good computer, I can't run shaders on minimum without my fps dropping extremely.
it's all in the graphics card i think

GeForce GTX 550 Ti

it's all in the graphics card i think

GeForce GTX 550 Ti

I will buy this GC, also, what CPU do you have?

The CPU is really what matters when running shaders. Fillipe can run his shaders at max with a better framerate then my 7950 and he has a 7750, But his CPU is a high end i7 while I have an i5 3570k at stock 3.4 GHZ

I will buy this GC, also, what CPU do you have?
my CPU is Intel(R) Pentium(R) G630 2.7 GHz

each light source would double the amount of shadows cast and if you were to put more lights in that small proximity it could triple or quadruple
doesn't sound like a good idea performance wise

I think it would be possible though to not make lights go through bricks without a large drop in performance

Quote from: kompressor
We have to rerender the whole scene at least twice for every shadow casting light source. Imagine taking your framerate and dividing it by (4 + # of shadowcasting lights * 2). In other words, if you get 60fps right now, you would get 6 fps with just one or two shadowcasting lights.

So we are going to just do one directional light for now. Maybe eventually we will allow multiple lights to cast shadows.

but you wouldn't necessarily have to re-render as many shadows because lights shouldn't travel forever like the sun

but you wouldn't necessarily have to re-render as many shadows because lights shouldn't travel forever like the sun
not render them, but you would have to calculate whether or not they cast a shadow, which is nearly as bad

not render them, but you would have to calculate whether or not they cast a shadow, which is nearly as bad
ya but on max you need to render it 6 times, you only need to calculate once

The CPU is really what matters when running shaders. Fillipe can run his shaders at max with a better framerate then my 7950 and he has a 7750, But his CPU is a high end i7 while I have an i5 3570k at stock 3.4 GHZ
No, you're misinformed. Stock clocks on "high end i7s" won't go above 3.5 ghz. not that it matters though, shaders are rendered by the graphics card and not the CPU. Chances are that filipe is running a smaller resolution than you, or some other indeterminate factor that does not concern the cpu

I still cant get how my computer can run max shadows at 30-60 fps. I have Core-2 quad and GTX 280.
But yea more shadow will drop many people FPS down.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 12:42:03 PM by blockbuilder1 »