Author Topic: Linux Distro Choosing: Getting a CD Tommorow, Yes!  (Read 8613 times)

Windows 7 does work out of box for the average user. It works much better out of box than most distros of Linux. With Windows 7 and even more so with Windows 8, you simply install it and your programs.
Of course, that applies for linux as well. I've reinstalled mint three times: once to try it out, again for a new desktop environment (without bloating up the hard drive which was small at the time), and again for an upgrade, and all three installs were pretty much flawless.

With (most) Linux distros you will have to have another computer on hand to trouble shoot the myriad of problems you encounter with a fresh install. When I used Ubuntu my Ethernet and wireless PCI card did not work.
That (most) falls within the range of every operating system that is not very well known. More times than not, when installing Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Debian or Fedora, you won't have any problems, unless you just happen to be unluckily stuck with a system that doesn't work well with linux. All of the previous can also apply to Windows. Out-of-the-box problems are not unique to Linux.

I'm not asking you to change back, I'm asking you to respect Windows for what it is.
Pretty much the only strong point windows has is gaming, so I'll give you that. Stability too, but because of window's closed-source nature, problems can often be hard to fix.

It works much better out of box than most distros of Linux.
That is very debatable. Linux definitely supports more hardware out-of-the-box.
With (most) Linux distros you will have to have another computer on hand to trouble shoot the myriad of problems you encounter with a fresh install.
Where are you getting your information from? There are literally ten or more logs that you can view to see what is happening or what has happened and go to fix it.
When I used Ubuntu my Ethernet and wireless PCI card did not work.
That's because the possibly closed-source wireless firmware couldn't be included in the open-source distro. Blame the manufacturer.
I'm not asking you to change back, I'm asking you to respect Windows for what it is.
Nobody was disrespecting Windows in the first place.

Master of assumptions? All I said is that if you were to install Windows again, you should choose a legitimate copy over a pirated version so you would have update support. Yes, Windows 8 was very buggy on release day, and Microsoft released a flood of updates to fix this. I still do not understand why your computer in particular installs updates on it own, but if you look at action center (the flag in your task bar), any updates should appear there.
So you were assuming that I used a pirated version of Windows.  But shouldn't the OS ask me if I want to update?  The only time it seems to do that is when you're doing a service pack upgrade (or at least in the case of the 8.1 beta).

I got my information from first hand experience. Isn't Ubuntu a "starter" Linux that you shouldn't have to fix? This was some years ago, and the computer was an even older HP rebuilt. It was very likely that Ubuntu simply did not support the older hardware, but this was a problem and I could not trouble shoot it without having another computer.
I did actually try to use it with my laptop once but I did not like the newer rocket dock style task bar. Again, something I have to take time and edit to make it look better.

So you were assuming that I used a pirated version of Windows.  But shouldn't the OS ask me if I want to update?  The only time it seems to do that is when you're doing a service pack upgrade (or at least in the case of the 8.1 beta).
I said if you were going to re install use a legit copy and to not use a pirated version. Have you tried to fix your update problem? It may be a simple option somewhere, or you may have to make a registry edit (not that hard, use a guide anyway).
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 06:40:22 PM by matthewbim11 »

So you were assuming that I used a pirated version of Windows.  But shouldn't the OS ask me if I want to update?  The only time it seems to do that is when you're doing a service pack upgrade (or at least in the case of the 8.1 beta).
The Action Center probably has an option to choose whether or not to automatically install updates or do it manually (in which case it asks you.) It recommends the automatic option because that way Windows will just make your computer safer and less buggy without you having to think about it. Unfortunately a nasty side-effect is that it bugs you when it wants to restart or it needs you to do something in order to let it do its thing.

I did actually try to use it with my laptop once but I did not like the newer rocket dock style task bar.
In my mind, the Ubuntu dosk works a heck of a lot like the Windows taskbar. The "locked" applications are like the "pinned" programs, the Dash Home is a lot like the Start Button, and the only downside in Ubuntu is you can only have it on the left side of the screen and the trash, desktop switcher and dash buttons are always there(without extra Unity modifications, of course).
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 06:43:58 PM by darerd »

@Marc's problem
Edit:New image, last one was for the message only, the opposite of what we want :P.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 06:50:18 PM by matthewbim11 »

I like how this isn't even on topic now

I like how this isn't even on topic now
What else is there to say to you that hasn't been said?

can someone help I really need help like Pacha just told me to install Debian I install Debian and like answered my password and stuff but now in a try to login it says my password is invalid so please help me what do I do

Check your capitalization for your username. I had that issue my first time with Mint where I thought my user was "Kingdaro" instead of "kingdaro".

sorry I'm handicapped I didn't see when asked for a user name first

If you have trouble logging in, you're in for one hell of a time.

forget, now how do I install Steam on here?
It asks me what Application to use when I opened Steam's .deb package.

I thought this had Ubuntu Software Center?
:(