Author Topic: CAN WE STOP WITH THIS DEDICATED SERVER stuff ALREADY  (Read 2880 times)

excuse the stuffty red lines ive never used paint.NET before

If you are going to make a dedicated server, don't leave it up if it's empty for over 24 goddamn hours. It's cluttering up the server list and it really gets tiring when I see 7 good servers that are all empty because they never have any players on them. Make a forum thread or get a bunch of people to play on it instead of wasting money/bandwidth on a server nobody uses.

lol i completely agree, it can be annoying

If it's really "cluttering" up your server list, just sort by players. Everything with 0 will be at the bottom and your issue with dedicated servers will be non-existant.

Or you could you know, join it and get some of your friends on.

Holy stuff.
It's only because everything with 0 players /has/ to be a dedicated server.

LOL.

I always thought that the server-list was the reason everyone thought this game was dead. Maybe if all these server suddenly disappeared, we'd have less complaining and more people would realize that the game is just lacking players with creativity.

:cookieMonster:

It's only because everything with 0 players /has/ to be a dedicated server.

wtf

why did you do /this/

when you can obviously just do this

My problem is that he game become unplayable over 130 ping, and only 10 or so servers fall under that. 7 out of those ten have 0 players.

just sort by players, genius

wtf

why did you do /this/

Some people aren't really used to using the forums. Like me, I used to do that until I remembered there was an italic button.

My problem is that he game become unplayable over 130 ping, and only 10 or so servers fall under that. 7 out of those ten have 0 players.
oh, then just stop having stuffe internet

oh, then just stop having stuffe internet
"Why would anyone want to live in a rural area?"

just sort by players, genius

I think the point of the entire thread just flew over your head.

He's trying to say that the spamming of so many dedicated servers with absolutely no players is obnoxious. Besides, having to press the sort button every time you open the server list is really loving annoying and it's a ten-second process that nobody should have to go through.

oh my god i have to click one more button to join a server please kill me now
                                                                   -u

what bugs me is that dedicated servers usually don't maintain after the host has left

servers usually have a 'spool-up' time during which players won't join because there aren't enough players in the server (in other words, it's not currently popular enough), and during that point in time you usually have to go tell people that the server is up or otherwise advertise that you are hosting

after you break 4 or 5 players, the server gets high enough on the server list for players to see it immediately and go 'oh hey _______'s server is up i will join it' and then you'll consistently have a server with players in it

but the trick is, there's actually two thresholds; the first one is waiting for someone to join the server in the first place (presumably out of boredom). that can take forever to break

nondedicated servers have the advantage that the first person is the host, so that's an entire threshold down and there's also someone actively trying to get the server advertised so it can build a playerbase. without the host being present you've basically got a dead server.

Warning - while you were typing 8 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post.

i clearly put too much thought into my posts.

wtf

why did you do /this/

because it's a habit i've obtained from other sites to show emphasis.