Author Topic: Time of Age?  (Read 7778 times)

someone should recreate age of time in blockland
whoever does that is my hero forever

Quote from: Age of Time download page
DO NOT PORT ANYTHING FROM THIS GAME TO BLOCKLAND OR I WILL KICK YOUR ASS

Only problem I can think of.  Hopefully we'd be alright as long as we don't actually use any Age of Time assets.

Yeah, an AoT-style gamemode in Blockland would be pretty cool as long as it doesn't copy anything.

Quote from: Age of Time download page
DO NOT PORT ANYTHING FROM THIS GAME TO BLOCKLAND OR I WILL KICK YOUR ASS
Only problem I can think of.  Hopefully we'd be alright as long as we don't actually use any Age of Time assets.
It said "kick your dog," not "kick your ass."

Badspot is smart enough to know that hardly anyone has a donkey any more.

I never said you had to port anything.

I never said you had to port anything.

Oh I know, I was just reminded of that.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 11:55:37 AM by Port »

It said "kick your dog," not "kick your ass."
that was the blockland page that had "kick your dog"

Jeez, haven't been here in a while...

Few people have tried. Biggest problem now is no terrain. Other problem is no hook.

Jeez, haven't been here in a while...
Few people have tried. Biggest problem now is no terrain. Other problem is no hook.
maybe you can modify the hookshot addon or something
i'm no coder

EDIT: I'm stupid this was already answered.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 10:10:20 PM by Lego lad »

maybe you can modify the hookshot addon or something
i'm no coder
There's pretty much no good way to do it. I mean I've seen a swing hook in Blockland, but unless it's done in the engine, there's no way to get the good smooth swing feel AoT has.

[img width=1000 height=132]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-9aZ-fi7rJj8/UjkZI8u-Q9I/AAAAAAAACOs/t4aVOcH7yeA/w1510-h200-no/AoT.png[/img]

EDIT: I'm stupid this was already answered.
What would you port in remaking it anyway? Terrain is a bust, and we'd want to make interiors out of bricks anyway. Player models? Nah we got those with more customization and a 100% increase in genders available. Monsters? Could just use the same player minifig with unique decals and outfits. Any items would look horribly out of place, we already got horses...

Another thing missing I suppose are animations. We got no way to block with a shield mounted on our forearms, and only thing we can do with a sword is wave it back and forth.

Convince Badspot to port the hook, make some new animations, and bring back terrain, then rewrite the dialog scripts, inventory system, blacksmith, police, clothing, monsters, dungeon generation, shop, weapons, spells, beds, recreate the terrain from scratch, build all the interiors, place a few logs here and there, then run the server without visiting it for a few years, and you might have a decent remake of Age of Time.

There's pretty much no good way to do it. I mean I've seen a swing hook in Blockland, but unless it's done in the engine, there's no way to get the good smooth swing feel AoT has.
What would you port in remaking it anyway? Terrain is a bust, and we'd want to make interiors out of bricks anyway. Player models? Nah we got those with more customization and a 100% increase in genders available. Monsters? Could just use the same player minifig with unique decals and outfits. Any items would look horribly out of place, we already got horses...

Another thing missing I suppose are animations. We got no way to block with a shield mounted on our forearms, and only thing we can do with a sword is wave it back and forth.

Convince Badspot to port the hook, make some new animations, and bring back terrain, then rewrite the dialog scripts, inventory system, blacksmith, police, clothing, monsters, dungeon generation, shop, weapons, spells, beds, recreate the terrain from scratch, build all the interiors, place a few logs here and there, then run the server without visiting it for a few years, and you might have a decent remake of Age of Time.

Who says it has to be exact, though? A remake does not necessarily mean it has to have every single feature from the original.  In fact, I fully believe a Blockland-reimagining of Age of Time has potential to be way better than Age of Time simply by playing to the strengths of Blockland and excelling in other ways, while doing away with or reworking things that would be awkward or downright impossible to recreate in Blockland.

Blockland might not have terrain anymore, but it does have ModTer, which has great potential in making a loose recreation of the Age of Time overworld that would work.  No hook?  Blockland has the grapple rope, which might not be as fine-tuned as the AoT hook, but it's still great fun to swing around on.  Age of Time's melee combat system might not translate perfectly to Blockland, but a better one could take its place with more varied weapons, snappier attacks, and more satisfying hits.

I don't know, it'd certainly take a ton of work, but I think an imperfect-but-better remake of Age of Time would definitely be possible in Blockland.

Who says it has to be exact, though? A remake does not necessarily mean it has to have every single feature from the original.  In fact, I fully believe a Blockland-reimagining of Age of Time has potential to be way better than Age of Time simply by playing to the strengths of Blockland and excelling in other ways, while doing away with or reworking things that would be awkward or downright impossible to recreate in Blockland.

Blockland might not have terrain anymore, but it does have ModTer, which has great potential in making a loose recreation of the Age of Time overworld that would work.  No hook?  Blockland has the grapple rope, which might not be as fine-tuned as the AoT hook, but it's still great fun to swing around on.  Age of Time's melee combat system might not translate perfectly to Blockland, but a better one could take its place with more varied weapons, snappier attacks, and more satisfying hits.

I don't know, it'd certainly take a ton of work, but I think an imperfect-but-better remake of Age of Time would definitely be possible in Blockland.
ModTer is unsuitable for a large world with tons of stuff on it. The grapple rope is not nearly as satisfying as the AoT hook, and is certainly unsuited to people with poor connections. Melee combat in AoT was hardly perfect, but in Blockland all you have is hurling spears and waving your arm back and forth. No way to stab (AoT never used it but did actually have a sword thrust animation), no way to charge a regular melee weapon (without spinning it around 180 degrees), no way to block. Oh also Blockland has no way to apply different materials or colors to different parts of a mounted image, so blacksmithing would be limited to one material per weapon. Sure plenty of stuff would work when done imperfectly, and could even be done better in Blockland, but I doubt you could ever recapture the same feel AoT had, at least not with the way Blockland is now.