Author Topic: Obj2Blb - General's OBJ to Blockland Brick Converter  (Read 9683 times)

By General

What it is
       Obj2Blb a Wavefront OBJ to Blockland Brick shape file converter, similar to the one recently released by Badspot. Obj2Blb, unlike Badspot's converter contains more features which are essential for easy brick creation, including UV coordinates transfer and manual brick grid creation. For reference, most of the bricks created by Tophius and recently by Siba were made using Obj2Blb.

The converter is scripted around the user's most desired outputs, this means that without specification in the modelling program, the resulting blb converted with Obj2Blb is most likely to be exported the way you want it. For example; quads are automatically sorted into the correct categories. Obj2Blb has a detailed built-in documentation with all the features it contains to help you with using the converter, it also comes with built-in Blender 2.49 resources, usage and exporting tips.

Only now after months of upgrades, testing, and releasing many new bricks is it fit for release to the public. OBj2Blb contains a built-in auto updater, which means any bugs the converter contains will be patched up automatically and you will be delivered fancy new features the moment a new version released.

All Features
    • Add-On Support - You are able to customise the converter, share and download Add-Ons.
    • Automatic/Custom Bounds Defining
    • Automatic/Custom Collision Box Defining - You can add multiple blb defined collision boxes or allow the converter to generate one itself.
    • Automatic/Custom Placement Grid Generation - You are able to manually create a grid within the modelling program or allow it to automatically be generated.
    • Automatic Coverage Generation - The converter generates the brick's coverage and culling depending on it's bounds size and face positions.
    • Automatic/Custom Quad Sorting - You are able to manually define which group quads belong in, or allow the converter to handel them itself.
    • Texturing Ability - You can add textures to brick within the modelling program.
    • Automatic Vertex Position/UV Coordinate/Normal Transfer
    • Brick Colouring Abilities

Download
    Due to security reasons, I cannot post a link to the converter in this topic. If you want a download link:

Extra Info
    • If you want to know how to use the converter, open it and the documentation will pop up.
    • If someone asks you for the link to the converter, please give it to them.
    • If you find a bug let me know.

Common Misconceptions
    • Colours don't work with this converter like they worked with Badspot's, read the Documentation to learn how to handle colours.
    • Unlike Badspot's converter, Obj2Blb requires you model around the centre point rather than above 0 on the z axis.
    [/list][/list]
    « Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 12:13:05 PM by General »

Ooh I might start making bricks now :D

does the automatic collision box mean that it creates a .dts collision mesh for you?

does the automatic collision box mean that it creates a .dts collision mesh for you?
    Unfortunately not, it means you are able to create blb defined collision boxes.

Aww. Does not work for Mac.

I'm sure Reinforcements could probably make a Mac version if you gave him the source code.

Aww. Does not work for Mac.

I'm sure Reinforcements could probably make a Mac version if you gave him the source code.
    I'll re-compile it for Mac at a later time, for the time being you could probably use a virtual machine or something.

Is there a quad limit, please tell me there isn't one.

Best converter on the market, I've been using it for a while now and have been creating bricks I've never been able to before.

oops double post
    silly forums
    « Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 12:50:12 PM by DrenDran »

Is there a quad limit, please tell me there isn't one.
    The only limit the converter has is how much your computer can handle.

Excellent work, General. Siba, those roads look amazing!

Best converter on the market, I've been using it for a while now and have been creating bricks I've never been able to before.
    Do they have correct dts collision?

Do they have correct dts collision?
    Couldn't stand on them otherwise, I'd be floating on top.

Other roads, such as curves are in production as we speak.