Author Topic: Computer under $700 that will run GTA IV better than awful, with mods?  (Read 2805 times)


Oh
Did you miss my post? You should start researching that laptop.

I read it

My mom, a Mac freak, says its fine.

Just saying - I have 2 years of experience on GTA IV PC.  GTA IV is so badly optimized.  The ballad of gay tony is much much better optimized, play on it when you do LCPDFR, trust me, performance and graphics work better over all.

Computer megathread


GTA IV is the most unoptimized game for the PC next to ARMA II.

never played gta4
but yeah arma2 is one of the most stuffty-made games i have ever seen. the devs should be embarrassed and killed for it.
it takes a super computer to run the thing at med settings. and even on max the game only look mediocre.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227477
sale for prebuilt

and there is a decent gaming comp that can handle modern games at max.
and its 100 bucks cheaper then you need, so you can get that missing monitor if you didnt have one yet.

the gt 610 is good
my friends comp has a nvidia 275 in it. 3yo old card. and she can still play skyrim on med settings.
a lot of people really think its hard building a decent gaming comp. its not nearly as spendy as you think.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 02:44:28 PM by Bisjac »

Just get a cheap Dell E521 and give it 4 gb of ram, an AMD Athlon x2 6000, and an ATI Radeon 6750 or whatever the replacement for it is.  Total cost about 300 to 350. Its what my brother uses and can run GTA 4 at medium settings at about 40fps.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1kzxQ
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1kzxQ/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1kzxQ/benchmarks/

CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor  ($149.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: Biostar A960D+ Micro ATX  AM3+ Motherboard  ($39.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Wintec Value 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory  ($53.48 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($59.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card  ($239.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Raidmax ATX-298WR ATX Mid Tower Case  ($23.25 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: CoolMax 500W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply  ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer  ($16.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $608.66
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-07-25 14:47 EDT-0400)

Close enough to $600, mission accomplished.

Although you would have to drop $700 initially, the rebates would drop the price to damn close to $600. If you already have an operating system, that is.

Ya'll motherforgeters are getting ripped off if you can't get GTA IV to run nicely for <$700.

Ya'll motherforgeters are getting ripped off if you can't get GTA IV to run nicely for <$700.

Yeah like what are you guys talking about? GTA IV isn't that badly optimized, why are you all slinging stuff at the game? It runs fine on a $500 system, I don't know what you guys are doing wrong, did you install the latest patches for the game?

Because GTA IV is badly optimized.  By that I mean, I sucks when you run mods like cars and causes major texture loss and loads of crashes.

Because GTA IV is badly optimized.  By that I mean, I sucks when you run mods like cars and causes major texture loss and loads of crashes.

The engine has it's limitations. Obviously if you replace every car in game and spawn a stuff ton of them it will lag. I had mods and it ran fine. I can run it nice on medium at my native resolution on a stuff GT 525M.

GTA IV is one of the most bizarre games I've seen when it comes to getting it to run okay. I've heard of mediocre PCs running it at max 60+ FPS, while someone else's supercomputer by comparison barely manages to run it at a stable 30 FPS on medium.

Plus it seems to have a bit of a mood. A month ago it was running around 30 FPS on my pc, but I was just playing it today and it's been around the 40 to 60 FPS area. (Completely vanilla both times btw)