Author Topic: Come July 1, 2014, all GFWL servers will be shut down.  (Read 3616 times)

This image shows the notice on the AoEO knowledge base page before it was subsequently taken down.

Unless game developers are willing to patch the netcode and move games to Steamworks, a large amount of games will be without multiplayer functionality and achievement tracking. The only games that have been confirmed to be transferred to Steamworks sometime in the near future are Bioshock 2, Batman: Arkham Asylum, and Arkham City. Arkham Origins has removed all GFWL support and will be released on Steamworks.

Some other games affected include Dark Souls, GTA4, Fallout 3, Dead Rising 2, DiRT 2 and 3, and Bulletstorm. This has been a long time coming, so I'm honestly not surprised. I'm honestly worried about GTA4 online functionality, although Steamworks patching seems unlikely due to the time since the last patch (3 and a half years).

GFWL is stuff, but will GTAIV be okay?

Can't say it will be missed, GFWL, that is.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 09:01:02 PM by Dnitro »

Thank god. I've always hated GFWL ever since it deleted my Batman save >:(

nothing of value was lost

never forget

Halo 2 (2005-2012)

hopefully gta is patched, then i might be able to find my saves when i reformat.

I hope I can still co-op on DoW2, but GFWL sucks.

You have to remember, that is 11 months from now. Most of those games will have a sequel by then on a newer online system. Will the multiplayer on the others even be alive when GFWL goes down?

You have to remember, that is 11 months from now. Most of those games will have a sequel by then on a newer online system. Will the multiplayer on the others even be alive when GFWL goes down?
many games actually require GFWL to even save.  This is a huge issue.

many games actually require GFWL to even save.  This is a huge issue.

You seem to forget that GFWL has an offline function for saving and profiles, too.

many games actually require GFWL to even save.  This is a huge issue.
Heck a lot of them require you to log in, even to play single player. For Fallout 3 you had to login in order to play the dlc's.

The whole system is bullstuff, since it either forces you to log in order to play single player, or to save a game. Having rooted so deep will basically render tons of games unplayable or lost. This is one reason why cloud gaming is a bad thing and that we need physical copies of our games. If Valve were to go out of business steam would die with it and then there goes all of your games. *poof*, just like that.

The nice thing about steam though is that I don't have to worry about damaging discs or loosing a cd/key.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 03:48:41 AM by Harm94 »

Good bye BattleStation pacific. :(