Author Topic: Ads on the forum  (Read 26911 times)

being affected by something doesn't magically give the source money
But advertising never automatically gives the source money. They invest in advertisements hoping that they bring in more revenue as a consequence.

If you're talking about the ad distributers, then you're right, revenue does work a little differently (Payout difference for impressions vs clicks, whereas traditional advertising is all done on estimated impressions).

But I still honestly don't think that Bisjac was talking about the revenue aspect.

it doesn't show the ad checkbox on my profile settings

Then you're an starfish that doesn't understand how free services on the internet are possible

Then you're an starfish that doesn't understand how free services on the internet are possible
some people host free services without ads
i mean come on
the only reason he'd like to know about the ad checkbox is because he wants to turn it on
as in, to see ads

you have ad block on
turn it off

or at least that's what i heard

Dude what the hell was that for, he WANTS to see ads. He can't find the check box.

And Yosher, turn off AdBlock.

Dude what the hell was that for
He can't see the checkbox because he has adblock, and the people that use adblock are what I described above.

thanks for the random flaming, really appreciate this

And Yosher, turn off AdBlock.
you have ad block on
turn it off

thanks for the actual advice

wait a second, that's the thing, i actually already have adblock disabled on this site and it still doesn't show.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 08:58:43 AM by Yosher »

wait a second, that's the thing, i actually already have adblock disabled on this site and it still doesn't show.

Ads don't show to logged in users.

The problem you have is that you skim posts.
It was made pretty clear.

Pecon and I both believe that internet advertising (banners, flash ads) still have an effect at a subconscious level. Even without clicking on them.

Bisjac is a proponent to the belief that only TV and Radio ads have this effect. And that internet ads only affect you if you click on them (Sending you to the product/service's website)

And after you realized you read it wrong, you counter-acted with;
Views and clicks are separately recorded stats.

Ads don't show to logged in users.
Yes they do if you turn them on like a real man blockhead

disable it even more
or simply remove it, turn on ads, then turn it on again

He can't see the checkbox because he has adblock, and the people that use adblock are what I described above.
...Except he's clearly trying to turn on ads to support the site, meaning he's not what you've described above. Hell, I'd never browse the internet without it if it could be avoided. If a site has unintrusive ads and I want to support it, fine, I might disable it, but I find it hard to sympathize with the underdog getting by on ad revenue alone when the same site is spawning half a dozen pop-unders or loudly telling me I've been selected to win two free ipod nanos on every other page.

Try a different browser then?

...Except he's clearly trying to turn on ads to support the site,
e-even more emone?