Poll

Do you think Personal Add-ons are OKAY?

Yes, Personal add-ons increase server appeal
81 (59.1%)
No, everything should be open-source
42 (30.7%)
(bonus) Private add-ons are also okay to me.
14 (10.2%)

Total Members Voted: 137

Author Topic: General Opinions on Personal add-ons?  (Read 9856 times)

Whats our general opinions on personal add-ons?

People can dive into the cache file to rebuild personal add-ons such as bricks and player-types.
What was the purpose of adding the cache file in the first place?
I remember our cache used to just be folders in the /add-ons/ folder.

Ephi said recently that he doesn't believe in private add-ons or something.

Adding a poll.

I will define the difference between personal and private add-ons now:

1. Personal Add-Ons: Made specifically for you and your server to give your server a unique draw for players.

2. Private Add-Ons: Made and then only given to friends of the person who made the add-on or clan members.

I think it's fine to have unreleased add-ons to increase the appeal of your server but when you just make an add-on and then hand it around to all your little buddies and tell everyone else to get lost I think you're doing a disservice to them and the community and there's really no justification for it.

Thank you for the clarification.

And i'm glad to hear you support personal add-ons.
Adding your post to the OP.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 03:00:28 PM by Pandan »

The point of cache.db is to not have to download a few thousand files every time you join a server.
It is not cluttering up the add-ons folder because that would suck major ass?

Private add-ons are crap

Makes sense. Less clutter is always good.

But why are private add-ons crap?
The people who made them made them for their server. To set their server apart from the rest.

We already have an issue of a lot of 0/30 player servers. Why not let people make stuff that's unique to theirs?

I think it's very communistic.

Private Add-ons should only be private if they are unsuitable for release. What I mean by "unsuitable" is if it's poorly coded, a new add-on that still needs to be tested or just shouldn't be released. I don't see something wrong with having a private personal add-on for your servers use (like Pecon's boss battles) but I do find something wrong with never releasing a Marble playertype.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 03:04:53 PM by Cuddles le Bear »

Okay, i guess that makes sense. But, why is keeping a add-on private to keep your server unique, wrong?

Marble playertype.
Do want.

Private addons make servers unique so I'm all for them.

Do want.
Too bad, you don't get it. It's private, and
Private addons make servers unique so I'm all for them.
Since you like private add-ons, you shouldn't have any problem with this.

Too bad, you don't get it. It's private, and Since you like private add-ons, you shouldn't have any problem with this.
I dont have any problem with it at all.

Too bad, you don't get it. It's private, andSince you like private add-ons, you shouldn't have any problem with this.
Uh lol.

People who support private add-ons aren't entitled brats.
They understand the need for server diversity. And that if people create content, they should have a right to keep it on their server.

Currently it's like this:

anyone that knows what's going on can take the "private" add-ons' files off the server, write some quick scripts and have a copy of the add-on.

anyone that is a handicap and shouldnt even be hosting a server and is only able to do so because of upnp support doesn't get it.

Sounds fair.

Note the difference between a personal add-on and a private add-on.

Note the difference between a personal add-on and a private add-on.
this

Enlighten me.

Private add-ons are hosted on servers for the server's use only. Not to be distributed.
Personal add-ons are, for your use only?

Things that people MAKE for their OWN servers to set them apart from others?
How is that wrong? I just can't see it.

Things that people MAKE for their OWN servers to set them apart from others?
How is that wrong? I just can't see it.
you need glasses

the only addons that should be private (unless there's some other reasons) are garbage like the funky player and chatbots

correct me if i am wrong but if a server is good it shouldn't NEED private add-ons

someone remind me what's a personal add-on and a private add-on
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 02:33:03 PM by The Resonte! »

you need glasses

the only addons that should be private (unless there's some other reasons) are garbage like the funky player and chatbots
Okay, i need glasses because I have a different belief than you? Okay.

So far the only argument against private add-ons is "I WANT THEM"
or "BECAUSE"