Game Design Megathread

Author Topic: Game Design Megathread  (Read 433054 times)

I think rather than tackling a big game, I'm going to start small first. I'll just make a continuation of my previous game. Hopefully I can find time between classes and work :((
that's probably a good idea for non-professional work anyway

I'm a rogue coder looking for a game project. I prefer to work in C# but I'm quite flexible.

Let me know if anyone's interested.

I think you mean freelance
Rogue usually implies that you went bad

no it doesn't

how the forget do you 'go bad' in a purely creative context

like a rogue cop or whatever

no like what the forget would a rogue programmer even be

oh man i'm suddenly on the wrong end of the law i'm gonna make these programs but eviller this time

that's not an adjective that you can apply to this specific occupation

I think you mean freelance
Rogue usually implies that you went bad

I can see what you are saying but it's generally understood what he meant

no like what the forget would a rogue programmer even be
someone who makes viruses and programs for hacking purposes?
i mean i'm sure that isn't actually referred to as being a "rogue programmer" but it totally could

I just added swimming to my game today, but I'm undecided what the controls should be like. It's not uber-fancy swimming or anything, more or less the same WASD controls for walking on land, but with depth control. I've got two options:

1 - You float on top by default, treading water, and if you want to dive down you press and hold space/jump. Releasing the space bar causes you to float back up.
2 - You sink by default, and if you want to float to the surface you press and hold space/jump (think Minecraft but a bit less clunky feeling).

I've scripted both options, it's just a matter of deciding which to use. I've asked various friends which option they like best and the results have been split 50/50. Help?

Why not just put it in options with some radio control for the user to decide for themselves?

Why not just put it in options with some radio control for the user to decide for themselves?
Still leaves the question of which should be the default.

i'd say the minecraft one should be default because then people would have a control scheme to compare it to

it's easier to learn something you already sort of know

Jamester, out of curiousity, what did you use to make the house? Converted CAD or from scratch?

Jamester, out of curiousity, what did you use to make the house? Converted CAD or from scratch?
For this project, I do pretty much all the modeling in SketchUp (with a hefty dose of plugins) and Ultimate Unwrap 3D. The dimensions of the LEGO pieces are referenced from real physical pieces in my own collection - LDraw models aren't suitable for games by default, a ton of cleanup is required, and they're often inaccurate to the real pieces anyway, so it's easier for me to make everything from scratch. SketchUp doesn't normally work very well for game models, as it's intended for architecture design and visualization and whatnot, but since this is a LEGO thing it actually speeds the work up quite a bit. I'm gonna use Blender for animating the new player model though, as SketchUp has pretty much no animation capabilities whatsoever. For future projects I'll probably just use Blender entirely - or maybe by then I'll have something like 3ds Max, that'd be nice.

Oh, ok.

Personally, I'd stick with Blender. It's free, and I find Autodesk software cluttered and not user-friendly. But maybe that's just me.

Perhaps things have changed since I last looked into it (if they have I'd certainly like to know!), but AFAIK Blender doesn't support manually editing vertex normals; they're always calculated automatically, and while there were some people working on adding that functionality I was never able to find anything that was actually finished and working. It has several uses, but what I mainly would need it for are things like trees and bushes, as skewed vertex normals can make them pop out a bit more and look nicer:
http://wiki.polycount.net/VertexNormal
http://ericchadwick.com/img/tree_shading_examples.html