Author Topic: The Survivor 2299  (Read 15021 times)

Clunky gameplay
wait a second are we still comparing it to previous fallout games??

Harm I detect copious amounts of unnecessary buttmad coming from your general direction.

I liked Fallout 3 and New Vegas. The old Fallout games were different entirely and boring as forget.
Also who gives a forget if they changed the lore and the style? Games and movies and comics do that stuff all the time.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 08:37:34 AM by Skip »

Like I tried to mention before, Fallout had some 1950's references, even some from the 40's, but there was also some from the 60's and 70's.  However not everything in the game looked like it came from a 1950's movie, there was also a mix of Gothic architecture.

Here is the laser pistol from the first fallout which is slim and slender. It looks something out of Startrek or any other modern sci-fi movie.

Fallout 3's laser Pistol, which is fat and bulky which looks like something out of Lost in Space

Fallout 1's Combat shotgun, looks modern

Fallout 2's combat shotgun which looks like a PPSH from WW2 and from the Korean War.

even the cars from the Junktown wall look like something out of the 1960's and 70's.
TL;DR - Bethesda took the 1950's too far
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 11:08:48 AM by Harm94 »

Uhh current date is 11.14.13
No, they're using an actual useful date format, meaning yesterday would be 14.11.13

Like I tried to mention before, Fallout had some 1950's references, even some from the 40's, but there was also some from the 60's and 70's.  However not everything in the game looked like it came from a 1950's movie, there was also a mix of Gothic architecture.

Here is the laser pistol from the first fallout which is slim and slender. It looks something out of Startrek or any other modern sci-fi movie.

Fallout 3's laser Pistol, which is fat and bulky which looks like something out of Lost in Space

Fallout 1's Combat shotgun, looks modern

Fallout 2's combat shotgun which looks like a PPSH from WW2 and from the Korean War.

even the cars from the Junktown wall look like something out of the 1960's and 70's.
TL;DR - Bethesda took the 1950's too far

So the style changed, so loving what. The gameplay is still fun, and Fallout 3 has one of the most memorable post-apocalyptic atmospheres in gaming, to this day.

Fallout has been about interacting with different communities a grim and dark world, making important decisions that affect you and the game world. Characters weren't entirely good or entirely bad, they are some exceptions. There were multiple approaches in the game to where you could get stuff done: for example there is a locked door and you had multiple options - find the key, blow it up with a bomb, pick the lock, or find another way around. Your armor actually protected you and could even stop bullets. Bullets and medical supplies were extremely rare and even some weapons were hard to find and expensive to use. The game has followers that possess unique skills like shooting, healing, locking picking, sneaking, act as merchant, or turn into tanks. You could make your party members use there skills, so if you weren't a thief, you could make your party's thief pick a lock for you. At the end the game you were given a slide show that showed you how your actions affected each community.

Fallout 3 takes the 1950's thing to the extreme by adding in stupid stuff like the mini-nuke and liberty prime. The story is stupid and everything looks like the bombs were dropped yesterday. Guns are numerous and bullets grow on trees. You spend most of your time pick up assault rifles and fixing them while consuming stimpacks  that also grow on trees every 2 minutes while going on repetitive dungeon crawls. Your armor barely protects you and breaks like card board, power armor is everywhere despite being rare and is also made out of card board. Almost all the characters are either evil bad guys or good guys who want to save the world. Beth basically took the selfish Brotherhood of Steel and made them literally into white knights with English accents and the Enclave as the evil empire with and armor of dark knights. At the game the game your actions made meaningless as you were given a brief slide slow that tells you that you either made the water safe to drink or it killed everything. The world is populated with annoying characters like in little lamplight and the tunnel snakes, and Amata. Gameplay is also dumbed down, if you run into a locked door, you either have to find the key or pick the lock. You can't talk yourself out of a fight like in the old games, you basically are forced to take lock pick and science if you want to make anywhere in the game. The game also has companions like in the older games, but they are useless and only get in your way. They can't pick locks for you, they can't do anything except shoot stuff and give you are few perks and buffs. The games engine isn't all the great either seeing has how often I find myself crashes and having to go back to a previous save.

I can see a ton of "my personal opinion" in that wall of text.

I can see a ton of "my personal opinion" in that wall of text.
it is the opinion of all the old fanboys, we will all say the same thing

it is the opinion of all the old fanboys, we will all say the same thing
Maybe you should surround yourself with other fanboys

Maybe you should surround yourself with other fanboys
but i have

Harm you're honestly just rambling to yourself. I've only played a small bit of Fallout 3 and haven't played any of them before that, and I bet like more than half of the people who are like "omg opinions!!" and stuff have never played anything before 3 as well. It's honestly probably no use.

Will just have to wait and see how they react when Activision makes Half-life 3 and turns Gordon into a dog with a crow bar and most of the game is just cut scenes with fish ai.

Harm you're honestly just rambling to yourself. I've only played a small bit of Fallout 3 and haven't played any of them before that, and I bet like more than half of the people who are like "omg opinions!!" and stuff have never played anything before 3 as well. It's honestly probably no use.

Fallout 3 seems really mediocre to me when I compare it to Fallout New Vegas.
In my opinion everything -except for the map layout and the main story line- is simply of higher quality in NV : the weapons , the locations , the settings , the factions , the add-ons , etc.
Hell New Vegas seems more like a sequel to the original Fallouts than Fallout 3...

I personally don't think Fallout 3 is horrendously bad but honestly it's not as good as a lot of people claim it to be. Sure it has a really grim and dark atmosphere but that's not good enough compared to it's flaws... I think a lot of people would be less upset about F3 if it was supposed to be a spin-off.

Fallout 3 totally does have a better world to me, Megaten, Big town, Lamp light, Republic of Dave..

Just because a game changes doesn't mean it's awful. Very few of your complaints are actually problems and the few that are really problems are exaggerated.