Author Topic: 8th grade exam from 1912 makes modern people look dumb  (Read 2085 times)

http://endoftheamericandream.com/archives/newly-discovered-eighth-grade-exam-from-1912-shows-how-dumbed-down-america-has-become

So I'm a straight A student, average of 31 or so on the ACT and the equivalent of about the same on the SAT, near-perfect score on the math portion of both, in the running for valedictorian, I've gotten letters from places like Harvard, I've even been to an actual nerd-camp.

But this?

As a senior in High School I don't know if I could have quite passed this with flying colors. Either this was one heck of a middle school, or education has really gone downhill.

there was a president impeached in 1912?

The math ones are arithmetic and patterns, and the rest seems irrelevant. It's become less about the concrete and more about concepts, it seems to me.

Lol wtf?

Question 1: what is 2+2?

Question 2: explain how arteries in the human body work

is this a joke
most of this is easy
the only "hard" part is history, but that's just because history classes are 100% memorization which is not my forte

I can see all of you "smart" people are already flooding this topic going "this is too easy".

there was a president impeached in 1912?

It isn't current history.  It was Andrew Johnson.

OT: I actually know quite a bit of stuff on there, but yeah, the average high schooler would definitely not know most of it.

some of those questions are kind of vague

Lol wtf?

Question 1: what is 2+2?

Question 2: explain how arteries in the human body work
1: 7

2: i don't loving know do they give blood to your arms and legs

this is too easy.

nah im dumb as a stump. i dont know any of this lol

It isn't current history.  It was Andrew Johnson.
I phrased my thing weird

but that's pretty bs

I can see all of you "smart" people are already flooding this topic going "this is too easy".
um? did you look at the test? I'm not going to pretend that I know a lot, but this test isn't hard
some of it doesn't make sense tho. like wtf is a "degree of comparison"

but it is easy.

"Tell what you know of the Gulf Stream"

seems easy enough

I guess I shouldn't expect much from a website called "endoftheamericandream" that claims to be "waking people up"