BNFB Wake Island Dogfight- WWII Naval Dogfight! Check out the gameplay trailer!

Poll

So, are you going to take to the skies/ join in this dogfight?

Definetely!
20 (57.1%)
No!
4 (11.4%)
I already have!
11 (31.4%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Author Topic: BNFB Wake Island Dogfight- WWII Naval Dogfight! Check out the gameplay trailer!  (Read 6067 times)

WAKE ISLAND DOGFIGHT [Beta]- GAMEPLAY TRAILER

That classic server we all love!

History
In the fall/winter of 2010, only a few months after I joined Blockland, I had a great idea for a server- a naval dogfight, taking place on Wake Island. The server was born. Hosted on and off until v21, the server averaged 25-30 players, and filled up in an instant. After v21, a lot of us missed the TDM, and recently sought out to recreate this classic game. Over the past few days, members of BNFB have been hard at work creating this. Now the server hast he same pop as the old one, and is getting a lot of players and a great welcome by the community. The server will be dedicated in the next few days.

About
The TDM is composed of 2 teams- the Japanese Army and the US Navy. The Americans are trying to invade Wake Island, and the Japanese are trying to stop them. Both teams have 5 Spitfires, 1 Biplane, and 1 Stunt plane. Japan has a few ground vehicles and the Americans have LCVP's. Other weapons frequently used are the AA gun, Heavy Machine Gun, and Heavy Turret. Both teams have the same 4 classes, armed with TT2.  Throughout the island, there are several Capture Points. The most strategic one is the Outpost. When captured, players can spawn at the outpost and their team will receive 20 points.  In order for a team to win, they must secure 4 points for a certain amount of time, or have the most points by the end of the 40 minute round. Lastly, the great thing about this is that ground forces are a major part to your team's success. If you don't like flying, you can go and invade the outpost or other places!

Pictures
(Pictures taken mid TDM)

Southeastern Fork of the Island

Southwestern Fork of the Island

Japanese Base

Aircraft Carrier

Outpost

This is a BNFB Production. (Accepting applications)

How to be a good player on this server:
1. Work as a team; Obey your leaders.
The work as a team part is pretty simple. Attack in groups, stick together, and communicate with your teammates. If someone says they need help at outpost, it would be wise to go to outpost. About the obeying team leaders part, it's very straightforward. Do what they say. I'm sure Sailor can correct me on this if I'm wrong, but admins and SA's are team leaders if they choose. (Higher rank in the server, higher command.) However, some players might establish themselves as leaders also by working as a team and telling people what to do. You should obey both, but keep in mind the 'rank' of your leader incase they contradict each other.

2. Go for the capture points
Okay, guys, it's a capture point TDM. How about rather than immediately parachuting over their base to spawn kill, we go play the game right and capture the points? (Obeying the above rule, preferably). This isn't directed at all of you, but some of you might not get to enjoy the server for very long due to this.

3. Obey the server rules.
I'm amazed I didn't say this earlier, but honestly it's not that hard. There are like 6 rules in that "click this or die" button.

4. Have common sense
Yesterday, someone came to the server with 0 common sense. A link was posted to a semi-research website, because he didn't know that it was considered researchographic or that it was against the rules. He got to come back to the server because he honestly didn't know it was against the rules, he was really sorry, upset over the ban, etc. Then he proceeded to spam the respawn vehicles button at the jap base. Ok, really? (He was banned)

5. Don't get offended too easily, okay?
Sometimes people will say things to you, yell at you, etc., but you shouldn't take it seriously. People might say you suck, you're not doing anything, you fly like an eagle flies a blimp. I might even say that, but it'll probably be in some sort of 'pep talk' to help win. (i.e. "If you can't fly better than bird stuff then get your ass down here at outpost!" "You guys are sucking! Lets try working together and not running around like a ton of handicaps high on meth, okay?") While most if the time I keep it kinder and more helpful, I might let something slip. That same statement goes for most people on the server, so don't take it too badly you sensitive pricks.
The server is currently DOWN.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 09:39:05 AM by SailorMan »

If you have any suggestions or problems with the server, please post them here, IRC me, or PM me.
---
here is part of a guide I started a while back. Ignore parts where it references to pictures.
Guide to Aerial Combat-
Offensive and Defensive Maneuvering.
Organized on February 21, 2013.
Developed extensive research and first hand reports of extraordinary dogfights.

One of the most important things that a pilot can do in dogfighting is keeping in mind the 8 tactics that Oswald Boelcke created, known as the “Dicta Boelcke:”
1. Try to secure the upper hand before attacking. If possible, keep the sun behind you. This maintains the element of speed, altitude, and surprise.
2. Always continue with an attack you have begun. It is better to stay and continue fighting and wait for your opponent to make a mistake or flee, rather than you.
3. Open fire only at close range, and then only when the opponent is squarely in your sight. It is typical for a rookie pilot to have an urge to blast away at his enemies. This just alerts the intended target and gives them time to react.
4. You should always try to keep your eye on your opponent, and never let yourself be deceived by ruses. Never assume you know where your opponent is, or will be. If a pilot ‘lost’ his foe, the advantage shifted to the foe. It is common for a pilot to ruse, or feign being hit (Going into a spin, etc.). Follow your opponent down, and make sure they were out of the fight or resume the fight if necessary.
5. In any attack, it is essential to assail your opponent from behind. In every case accept for a frontal attack, it is necessary to “lead” the target. Due to the velocity of a moving gun platform, pilot has to compensate for the fact that they are shooting at a moving target. It is wise have a target fly through a stream of bullets.
6. If your opponent dives on you, do not try to get around his attack, but fly to meet it. This is related to rule 5. In many cases, a rookie may turn and flee an approaching diving attacker. It is wise to turn and face the attack, which forces the attacker on the defensive, or off your tail.
7. When over the enemy’s lines, always remember your own line of retreat. If a pilot’s machine is coming down or is damaged, it is crucial for them to spend what little time he might have left in the air going in the right direction.
8. Tip for Squadrons: In principle, it is better to attack in groups of four or six. Avoid two aircraft attacking the same opponent. Attacking in a group allows the leader to concentrate on his target, while his squadron mates protect his tail.

Offensive Maneuvers-
1. Short Take-off/ Climbing.climb, preferably).
They know have the “high ground:” any adversaries that enter their territory can now be attacked from

2. Shooting in a turn.
Curve in an opposite way that they turn. To compensate for this, a pilot should shoot where their target is going, not where it is. The pilot should over shoot a bit by keeping the nose of their machine a head of the opponent while firing at them.

• If a pilot is in a turn, and they see the adversary’s “belly,” this means that they will end up behind the pilot when the turn is completed. The adversary’s turn is tighter than the pilot’s.

3. Head-on Engagement.
“12 O’clock,” they may choose to engage, but they can take severe damage. The pilot may pitch the nose of their machine down slightly to avoid this. In doing so, they will gain speed and the adversary will over shoot. Then, the pilot may turn to their right or left (Preferably the right, because the adversary will likely do so as well), and slightly pitch back, and throttle down. To turn tightly, the pilot must simply turn the wings of their machine perpendicular to the ground and “pull up” to make A pilot should make a short take off, and climb (Circle). When a pilot shoots in a turn, the ordinance fired tends to If a pilot should encounter an enemy “Head on,” or at their a smaller turning radius. In doing so, the pilot would probably find themselves behind their adversary, making him go on the

Defensive Maneuvers-
1. Squadron “Wagon Wheel” (3+ Aircraft).squadron, they may which to do a defensive wagon wheel. This would mean that every member of the squadron would get in a tight turn, forming a circle pattern, with each plane following the other. If the enemy wishes to engage one pilot, then a squadron mate will be abled to take the adversary down. See figure 1-1for reference.

2. Thatch Weave (2 Aircraft).there is an efficient way to for them to protect each other and destroy the enemy at once- Essentially, taking on the offensive and defensive at the same time. This is done when the two machines are next to each other and do the following: First, they must turn into each other. They shall cross paths and then reverse the turn and come back into each other. They will repeat this motion forming a weaving pattern. If an adversary attempts to shot at the pilot or wingman, the other will be behind their squadron mate to fire on the adversary.
*This technique was developed by the United States Navy during World War Two. See figure 1-2 for reference.

3. Single Person, Defensive “Wagon Wheel.”enough to have no squadron mates in the region, he may which to use the “Defensive Wagon Wheel” to gain the upper hand. To do so, the pilot should begin a tight turn to the left or right (Preferably right, as stated in Offensive movement #3), and begin their forming into a wagon wheel, (as seen in Defensive movement #1). The pilot should also throttle down to decrease When a/an adversary threatens to engage a pilot’s If a pilot and their wingman encounter adversaries, If an adversary is on a pilot’s tail and he is unfortunate his turning radius. If an adversary attempts to challenge the opponent from above or below and has not matched the pilot’s speed, he will over shoot. If he is on the pilot’s tail and manages to enter the wheel with him, he will probably not be abled to shoot in a turn (Offensive movement #2). The preferable time for the pilot to break out of this movement is when they notice they are ahead of the adversary, if the adversary does not expect it, or if the adversary has started to flee, etc. The pilot may now begin their offensive maneuvering to shoot down the adversary. See figure 1-3 for reference.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dicta_Boelcke
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 09:48:13 PM by SailorMan »

I was just playing on this server for almost 30 minutes, it's addicting! The build is great, and the admins are helpful and friendly. I think this is a quality server which should be visited.

that build is phenomenal. gj on that.

i don't think stunt plane fits. you can just ram the other planes with it and they can't outmaneuver it. i'd suggest a bomber or something

"40 minute round"

what the-

i don't think stunt plane fits. you can just ram the other planes with it and they can't outmaneuver it. i'd suggest a bomber or something
Thank you for the positive feedback everyone. Each team only gets 1 stunt plane. However, I may make change it to another spitfore or another biplane. Ive tried bombers on this in 2010 and it didn't work out very well at all, so I wont be adding them. They create too much lag, are usually OP, and often cause spawn killing.

"40 minute round"

what the-
More often than not, one team gets the 4 CPs and the game ends fast. But it often is close, so the more time the better- also the rounds fly by because you have so much fun  :cookieMonster:

Oh also, I think this server could use helicopters and exciting background music to go along with it.

Posting a couple combat pictures tomorrow for ya.
Here you are:

More combat pictures on next page.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 03:18:21 PM by Who Cares99 »

Oh also, I think this server could use helicopters and exciting background music to go along with it.
Helicopters didn't exist in WW2...

was wrong, but it was German and not Japanese or American

0/10 no soviet team
I refuse

Server is online. Join now!

Joining later, as ssoon as xmas shopping is done!

0/10 no soviet team
I refuse
Actually a Cold War-era Soviet invasion server would be really cool.

Played it, it's really fun! Thanks sailor!