Author Topic: Steam Family Share  (Read 2003 times)

its in beta and even if I don't get the beta I dun care.
soon enough I will need a family member device to share with. possibly 10 I read. not to sure how it works yet.

who wants to be my lover?
obviously a more compatible couple wouldn't have an ultra similar library. that just wouldn't make sense
XD

http://steamcommunity.com/id/bisjac

i would, but I don't know because:
Quote from: steam cigaretteots
WHEN I AUTHORIZE A DEVICE TO LEND MY LIBRARY TO OTHERS, DO I LIMIT MY OWN ABILITY TO ACCESS AND PLAY MY GAMES?
As the account holder, you may always access and play your games at any time. If you decide to start playing when another user is already playing one of your games, he/she will be given a few minutes to either purchase the game or quit playing.

I'm using this to play all the games I bought on alts with my main account :D

you need to exchange accounts for a few minutes in order to authorize eachother's machines to be compatible with family sharing. it's super risky and I wouldnt recommend openly giving your account login, password, and steam guard code to someone on the blockland forums. if you really want to share libraries, you should at least be close friends and trustworthy. also both users need to be in beta in order to be able to share libraries, otherwise it does not work.
regarding killercop: im sharing my library with a close friend, and with us living in different timezones, we can play eachother's games without having to worry about having to leave (that is until its like mid day where we're both on, but even then we message eachother that we're playing their games)

you need to exchange accounts for a few minutes in order to authorize eachother's machines to be compatible with family sharing. it's super risky and I wouldnt recommend openly giving your account login, password, and steam guard code to someone on the blockland forums. if you really want to share libraries, you should at least be close friends and trustworthy. also both users need to be in beta in order to be able to share libraries, otherwise it does not work.
regarding killercop: im sharing my library with a close friend, and with us living in different timezones, we can play eachother's games without having to worry about having to leave (that is until its like mid day where we're both on, but even then we message eachother that we're playing their games)
i'm in the beta and my friend isn't in the beta and i shared games with him.

both people don't have to be in the beta.

i'm in the beta and my friend isn't in the beta and i shared games with him.

both people don't have to be in the beta.
then how did you two manage to authorize eachother's accounts? i tried with another friend who wasnt in the beta and I couldnt authorize his account.

then how did you two manage to authorize eachother's accounts? i tried with another friend who wasnt in the beta and I couldnt authorize his account.
I only shared my library with him.

I only shared my library with him.

Wait, so this doesn't have to go both ways?

I mean, you can share yours with people but not expect them to share back if you want?

YES
PORTAL 2 AND SIMCITY ON MY MAIN ACCOUNT
THANK YOU
THANK YOU

forget family sharing i want in-home streaming

i would kill for the ability to stream from my desktop to play on my living room tv

forget family sharing i want in-home streaming

i would kill for the ability to stream from my desktop to play on my living room tv
It's going to be a feature in SteamOS, although I don't know if you'll need a dedicated computer hooked up to your tele for it to work.

I may be lord Tony's steam forget buddy. he's got an OK library.

but I really want stocking :(

I want to know how this works.
Does it work on the normal steam client or is it only for a select few beta testers?
Is it easily controlled, so liek the master account can hault all access from another user, (An example with family: Your child gets in trouble, so you "ground" him from steam by cutting off access to your games, but can be reopened at any time)

Will there be a sort of tab menu where you can switch between users games you are sharing with, or will games be auto-added to your library until connection is cut off.

Can my friend play one game on my account and i play a different one at the same time, or does it kick them off no matter what?

These are important questions.

My dumb. I read the FAQ.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 01:20:11 AM by Ninja Decoy »

I've had family sharing for quite a while now (maybe a bit over a month and a half?)

you need to exchange accounts for a few minutes in order to authorize eachother's machines to be compatible with family sharing.
No, only the person who wishes to share their library needs to do it. They need to log in on the other person's computer; I suggest using Teamviewer to do this.
also both users need to be in beta in order to be able to share libraries, otherwise it does not work.
This is incorrect; You only need to be in beta to share your library with another person; The person you're sharing with does not need to be in the beta.

Wait, so this doesn't have to go both ways?

I mean, you can share yours with people but not expect them to share back if you want?
Yes.
I want to know how this works.
Does it work on the normal steam client or is it only for a select few beta testers?
Normal steam client; But the option is disabled unless you're in the beta.

Is it easily controlled, so liek the master account can hault all access from another user, (An example with family: Your child gets in trouble, so you "ground" him from steam by cutting off access to your games, but can be reopened at any time)
Yes; There's a dialog that looks like this:

From there I can revoke access whenever I please.

Will there be a sort of tab menu where you can switch between users games you are sharing with, or will games be auto-added to your library until connection is cut off.
There's this:

Can my friend play one game on my account and i play a different one at the same time, or does it kick them off no matter what?
If the library owner starts a game while a shared user is playing a game, they'll be kicked off after 5 minutes; If a shared user tries to play a game while another shared user is playing one, they'll have to wait.

Apparently you edited while i was typing this;
My dumb. I read the FAQ.
forget. Wasted time :c