Author Topic: What happened to Singleplayer?  (Read 2879 times)

In light of the recent DDoS attacks, something came to my attention that I think should be crucial;

Access to the bloody game.

If the master server is down, that shouldn't mean that the entire program gets locked out for us - that's not the way it used to be, and I don't see any reason why it should. Perhaps the launcher could use a little update, instead of relying on a direct master server connection to authenticate and verify the game. I understand that this feature was implemented and that feature removed for a reason, but I don't understand why I should not be allowed to play the game if this kind of thing happens.

If anybody knows how to work around it and get me into my singleplayer server so I can at least make build progress on my own, please let me know. I have alot to do and it isn't being done because the launcher won't work.

I don't expect to need an internet connection to play a single player game, it's almost literally pointless in that aspect to even include a singleplayer functionality altogether in the game. There has to be another way of making sure the player is using a legitimate copy of Blockland rather than forcing everybody through this one giant bottleneck that once sabotaged, breaks everything for everyone. Not only is it a monstrosity of a design flaw, it's ruining the design entirely by making it literally disable itself - and I can almost see why someone would target the master server for a DDoS attack, especially since it's evidently the one thing holding the entire game together now.

Not everybody knows this secret "hush-hush don't tell anyone" work around that allows for them to play, and it's not as unfair that people play the game for free as it is that people who bought the game don't even get to play it at all. At least provide them with a way around the problem, and don't make it this huge legal deal. Obviously the design forgeted up somewhere, not the players - they don't deserve to be locked out of the knowledge of how to make their retail item work, even temporarily.

I just want to make it apparent that relying on internet connection to keep pirates from playing the game is not an elegant strategy, as seemingly opposed to multiple gaming companies' opinions. It's clear now and the DDoS attacker clearly sees it too. If something happens to the bottleneck, the whole system collapses. It needs to be reinvented if people want to actually play the game in this kind of situation, or else if this ever happens again we'll all be sitting here hoping for the best case scenario to work itself out in the next couple of weeks.

Edit:
I believe there is a way to at least get Singleplayer access, and possibly access to the server list - even got it to authenticate my BL_ID more than once.
I can confirm that having
master2.blockland.us
open in a tab on your browser will allow you to connect not only to the game itself, but also to some servers. My authentication is checking out, my login name is up and the game is basically working again.
Let me know if this works, or if it doesn't work for some - it seems to be the most reliable method for me.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 07:11:34 PM by TruBluRage »

It's as bad as Sim City 5!

I swear I have played singleplayer before with my internet being down, though why it wouldn't work just the same if the master server was down.

Yes, your theses are very cleverly put. Can't agree more.

Although, in the end Badspot implemented the launcher for a reason. To gain more control over the community. But I also think this bottleneck should be loosened up a bit. Don't you think Badspot? You've created this huge lockdown of your own creation by pushing the controlling boundaries, you want to achieve, to a ridiculous extent.

Yes, your theses are very cleverly put. Can't agree more.

Although, in the end Badspot implemented the launcher for a reason. To gain more control over the community. But I also think this bottleneck should be loosened up a bit. Don't you think Badspot? You've created this huge lockdown of your own creation by pushing the controlling boundaries, you want to achieve, to a ridiculous extent.
It's funny that people got so pissed about the removal of terrain but no one really spoke up when we got this new launcher.
I realize it makes downloading of new files and versions easier, but seeing as we've only had a few major updates since it came out its net benefit seems pretty low.

It's funny that people got so pissed about the removal of terrain but no one really spoke up when we got this new launcher.
I realize it makes downloading of new files and versions easier, but seeing as we've only had a few major updates since it came out its net benefit seems pretty low.
This is another thing
Why rely so much on something we use so rarely?
That's like entrusting the entire structural integrity of the Titanic on it's ability to send telegrams. If we can't communicate with anyone, our ship literally implodes - like wtf is going on here, all I'm doing is not connecting. There isn't anything wrong with the game files, there isn't anything wrong with my blockland key - but "if we can't send beeps the ship implodes. Sorry guys, that's just the way it is"

Then fix it
Because obviously the DDoS attacker isn't gonna fix it himself,
and everybody in the community is so afraid of being banned by the big bad badspot that nobody is trying to find a solution. Everyone's sitting here with their thumbs stuck up their asses begging it to work by the end of the day

blockland will launch on steam without connection
I've been bypassing the launcher to play on single player lol
Yes I heard that steam seems to be working for a select few, but it isn't for me.

I assume Badspot is already on it though. Developers have real life to deal with so there's no sense in bashing him right now - I just want to know why we can't find a solution to this and why is the solution a bannable offense - aka, why sharing the solution is not allowed.
Why should you be stripped of your privilege to play the game for trying to play the game you clearly purchased is my question.
Why are we not allowed in this situation to temporarily work around this stupid software mechanic?
Why will people be banned for discussing the ways of working around it?
Why will people be scolded for their impatience or their lack of understanding?

They bought a loving product that should loving work and it's not loving working, and here we have dozens of "veterans" getting all butthurt when people complain that they ordered a chocolate smoothie and didn't even get a cup of loving ice water in it's stead.

I'm just baffled by that reaction. When you purchase a smoothie, it doesn't have the right to turn into vaporware whenever it feels like it and kick you out of the smoothie shop when you complain about it
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 10:01:15 AM by TruBluRage »

blockland will launch on steam without connection
I've been bypassing the launcher to play on single player lol

I have been launching Blockland without an internet connection for the past couple months, and it has been working without any problem.

I see your point here and I agree with you, but I just wanted to say this for the record.

hooray for my first post on the forums.

Why do you quote me and write this?

If there's a third party attacking the entire game I'd expect everyone to start working together to find an elegant solution, not chopping eachothers' heads off. The least we could do is make it "legal" to discuss the work-around, because alot of people who don't even know about these forums (which is ALOT of people) are going to have to sit on their asses and wait regardless.
Why do you quote me and write this?
He was saying it's ironic that everybody complained about the terrain but only a few people noticed this bottleneck
and most of them stayed quiet assuming it would all be ok

edit: The only problem I see with the work-around is that Badspot's probably going to end up with an assload of work to fix and redo everybody's game using an update - which for an undetermined amount of time will not be released due to the servers being down.

edit2: The way I see it, to put it in a metaphorical sense, is that the rebar's already been bent, the game's already been broken - sometimes to fix something you gotta break it some more. Badspot explains the work-around, lets us know how the situation is unfolding, then when the server bullstuff recedes we can all start using the launcher again because the game can once again update, the update fixes the work-around and the bottleneck problem, and we can all be happy and feel safe knowing that if one of us forgets up we don't all pay the god damn price again.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 10:15:55 AM by TruBluRage »

He was saying it's ironic that everybody complained about the terrain but only a few people noticed this bottleneck
and most of them stayed quiet assuming it would all be ok

I clearly understand that but don't know how that applies to me. Seeing I neither complained now (only expressed my view of things), nor complained about terrain removal (I can't care less for terrain).

However yeah, it is in fact true I've never really realized the fully extent of this nuisance until now. But that can be explained because we've never been hit this hard before. It is now you realize, when your boat already been filling up with water. Didn't see it coming.. should have.

don't bad talk blocklands DRM (kinda) man.

we need it to protect us from terrorists

don't bad talk blocklands DRM (kinda) man.

we need it to protect us from terrorists
Yes, the free videogame terrorists
God help us all

I clearly understand that but don't know how that applies to me. Seeing I neither complained now (only expressed my view of things), nor complained about terrain removal (I can't care less for terrain).

However yeah, it is in fact true I've never really realized the fully extent of this nuisance until now. But that can be explained because we've never been hit this hard before. It is now you realize, when your boat already been filling up with water. Didn't see it coming.. should have.
Generally "bottlenecking the community in an effort to gain more stringent control" isn't exactly considered a complement.
You made a comment about the downsides of the new launcher and I replied with a statement also about the new launcher.