Author Topic: Your Own Building Code  (Read 3205 times)

I've set up a code for using ModTer bricks to make islands.

1. Start by building the base shape.
2. Add ramps, worry about the corners later. If you can't figure out where to place a ramp, proceed to Step 3.
3. Worry about the corners. If something dosen't seem right, go back to Step 2.
4 (optional). Add a hill or a mountain.
5. Add foliage.
6 (optional). Add buildings.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 05:35:34 PM by AtlasBlue »

Save Early, Save Often

Build the floor (or at least mark it) before you build the walls, not the other way around.

Why?

outline the building before i do it

General

• Invisible Bricks - do not use unless absolutely necessary as in there is absolutely no other way. The only time it is ok to use them is for hiding spawns and emitter effects.
  • Bricks support themselves - Bricks should be going in a interlocking combination so it keeps it self up and invisible bricks are not needed, there are a few times when small brick details are to thin to support themselves though.
  • Bricks go in a brick pattern - Bricks are placed in a offset pattern where they must repeat to reduce how spammy it looks, the only time this does not apply is when it tiles
  • Wall height - Walls should have at least 2 extra plates added to them, one for the floor and one for the roof. Normally I add a brick or two for effects where there are pipes in them or you can see the underside. Walls should be a minimum of 7 bricks high
  • Spam - My definition of spam is any extra or not needed bricks, I manually clear spam as well since stuff doesn't have to be on a baseplate for me.

Spaceship

• Where you start -
    1. You normally in most cases, start with the engine block. The thrusters define the mass of the build (since everything looks like it is going at the same speed) the mass defines volume, the size of the build. So you make the engine block first to decide how large the ship is. With this you work on both the hull and the interior

2. You make the interior first and the size and shape ends up getting laid out by how you made it. This is good for really small ships or really large ones. Afterwards you build the hull on.

3. if you plan on giving the ship any hangars you build the hangar doors first and the hull surrounding, you than continue to completing the hull and fill it in. Here you have a defined space to work in
  • Bottom Side - The bottom of the ship must look good as the top since normally you build it floating up and when people look up at it. The bottom of the hull can have

Docking ports (the thing that makes this difference from a hangar is this is where the ship connects to another object, only one door since when its connected the two doors between the ship and said object form a airlock)
    Hangars
    Cannons
    Antenna/communication devices
    Windows where people can look down
    pipes
    vents
    large evil laser things
    ramps
    braces/bulkheads
    drop-pods (that one odst thing)
    lifeboats
    escape pods (lifeboats)
    more thrusters
    airlocks
    hull lights (make the ship easier to see)
    landing gears
    clamps (for attaching to docks)

Normally since people build spaceships floating as well they can put the support keeping it up some where else so there is nothing on the bottom for making it look more appealing.

• "Roof Lights" - Lights in the roof are always 2 plates thick, the light itself, and then a border around it. Some times I put in a few lines in it so it becomes a series of smaller lights in appearance[/u]

There are a lot more but i'm to lazy to list them.

I find that when exterior is done first is usually leads to cramped interior and tight spaces.
Its ok when the exterior is large.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 06:56:21 PM by Bester Bageler »

Why?
I tend to find that building the floors allows room spaces to be more in dimensions of powers of 2. So 16x16, 32x32, etc. A downside of floor-oriented building is how the ceiling can sometimes be tricky to position, however it's going to be covered up in other details/print plates/lights anyway.

1. Don't procrastinate.

but that never works. it never. works.

1. Don't procrastinate.
2. If procrastination breaks through, listen to good build music.

#1 - who cares if it uses a lot of bricks i just want to make it beautiful as i am capable of

#2 - NEVER get ANYTHING done

1.interior
2.exterior

Easy as that

2. If procrastination breaks through, listen to good build music.
Pretty much lol. It eventually gets done, :p

yea im extremely opposed to invisible bricks, if you can't build without them i feel you aren't trying hard enough

• Create a checkered building ground or at least some kind of correctly sized baseplate for your build before starting
  • When building a house, mark out where there will be walls and doors.
  • Add an element of 3D to your build, flat walls are boring.
  • Don't follow the crowd, make up your own design for a box god dammit!
  • If you're not having fun, you won't build as well and will try to speed up the building process resulting in a lazy-looking end result.
  • Plan out structures and points of interest, at least keep them in mind when building.
  • Using google pictures for ideas and inspiration is not cheating.
  • If it looks like crap, redo it.
  • If there's a way to speed up the process but make thee build look as good, go ahead. (macros & duplicator)
  • Have fun. If you're not having fun, go do something else for a while.
  • Finishing something once in a while would be nice, but is not necessary

Can't forget this one:
yea im extremely opposed to invisible bricks, if you can't build without them i feel you aren't trying hard enough
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 11:35:37 AM by Paradon »

jfkjk this post was a mistake just keep scrolling
 |
 |
 |
 V

3 plates for ceiling. 1 for decorative ceiling for the fist story, 2 for structural support, and 3 for decorative floor for the next story
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 12:34:00 PM by Capt.Tan »

Rooms must have a square stud area more than 16x16