use of ad.fly for addons

Author Topic: use of ad.fly for addons  (Read 6956 times)

Well it wouldn't bother me if anyone were to use adfly, but for a game like blockland it's not worth the trouble setting up an account. You will at most get $20 dollars by the time you die.

still quite low if you want to make a good income out of this. just go work minimum wage and you would earn a lot more within an hour then what you would earn within a week or two making an add-on.
This implies that ad.fly is actually used to support yourself. The age group of Blocklanders (I assume) is around 13 - 17 years, meaning the people here are probably still living and are being supported by their parents or other legal guardians.

A little bit of extra income can go a long way, really. If you get even just 50 downloads a week from a mod, according to NF's stats, that's 20 cents a week, minimum. Over a period of a couple of months, you'll find that you'll have enough money to get a steam game on sale, or a humble bundle if something nice comes up.

Well it wouldn't bother me if anyone were to use adfly, but for a game like blockland it's not worth the trouble setting up an account. You will at most get $20 dollars by the time you die.
I think you forgot to carry the one, bro.

It's not even the ad the bothers me, its the fact that the owner of the content feels it necessary to tag some kind of "money making" vice to it saying "My stuff is worth money! Pay me with your views!"

forget those people.

Yeah, forget those people that spend hours upon hours of their own time to give you something useful, at no cost to you.

I would never use ad.fly or a similar advertizing scheme, but your statement is just outrageous.

well, have fun with your pennies.

no point in debating it because ephi is just gonna remove spam anyway.

well, have fun with your pennies.

no point in debating it because ephi is just gonna remove spam anyway.

I'm not talking about putting ads on stuff; I don't want to do that. I'm talking about Mr.Nobody's attitude about it.

I'm talking about marble man and bushido and those others.
That hurt my feelings

people who skip videos on youtube that have ads are idiots. many high quality channels are professional youtubers. they aren't greedily trying to suck up your money, they are trying to make a living. they often put 30-50 hours a week into video production. they couldn't do that for free.

Nobody should be expecting money or payment for making Blockland add-ons - it's a service to the community. Take satisfaction out of the fact people are using and enjoying your thing and then go mow some lawns.

I'll be removing ad.fly stuff if people start using it - it's a cheap way of trying to monetize someone else's userbase.

That makes no sense.  I'm not advocating using ad.fly because I don't think in our community it would be by any means profitable.  But you've worked on and hosted RTB for years now, for absolutely free.  That's dandy and all, but you still created third party content for a game, and that content is your work, from what I know you have RTB under a CC license as well.

So if that content, created by the user, is only downloadable after watching a 5-10 second advertisement, why should you be able to remove it?  I'm not saying you can't, obviously you can, and at the end of the day this is your and Badspots choice.  However, you have to look at it from a different perspective, if the community gets fed up downloading from ad.fly and just stops downloading add-ons that use it, then the issue goes away because the add-on creators will go back to the old way.

Why not implement a capitalistic mindset versus supreme rule?  I know its just kind of tradition for you and Badspot to have said supreme rule, and once again at the end of the day that's completely up to you guys, but I mean this is just kinda silly.

And to rebut your last point of "monetizing someone else's userbase", you do realize that's how the entire internet works right?  You guys are monetizing Steam's userbase right now, I mean its as simple as that.  Why do we have to take satisfaction in not making a penny off of our work, yet you guys get to take satisfaction AND make money off of the same field of work?  It doesn't seem fair to me, however that's completely in my own opinion.

But you've worked on and hosted RTB for years now, for absolutely free.  That's dandy and all, but you still created third party content for a game, and that content is your work, from what I know you have RTB under a CC license as well.

You've just stated facts here and not made a point so I have nothing to say to that.

You guys are monetizing Steam's userbase right now, I mean its as simple as that.  Why do we have to take satisfaction in not making a penny off of our work, yet you guys get to take satisfaction AND make money off of the same field of work?  It doesn't seem fair to me, however that's completely in my own opinion.

Blockland's deal with Steam is a mutually beneficial business arrangement, meaning both parties profit and that both parties agreed to set terms. That's entirely different to trying to turn a few quick cents by throwing advertising links up on someone else's forum without permission. You're just trying to monetize someone else's site traffic and it's not ethical.

Blockland's deal with Steam is a mutually beneficial business arrangement, meaning both parties profit and that both parties agreed to set terms. That's entirely different to trying to turn a few quick cents by throwing advertising links up on someone else's forum without permission. You're just trying to monetize someone else's site traffic and it's not ethical.

It's not leeching like you're making it out to be though, we're monetizing our work, not your site, that's what I'm trying to say.
I'm sorry to say it but I'm pretty sure it's a general consensus that Blockland wouldn't be the same game without a modding community, if no add-ons were created, I feel safe assuming there would be a much smaller active playerbase.

Is that mutually beneficial?  Like you're making someone who put 2-3 hours into a mod, and asking someone to watch a 5-10 second advertisement so they can get some sort of physical gain from their work, out to be an unethical leecher. 

I'm talking about marble man and bushido and those others. There's no way I'M doing that lol.

People do it for minecraft mods like 90% of the time.
I doubt they would even get 1000

It's not leeching like you're making it out to be though, we're monetizing our work, not your site, that's what I'm trying to say.
I'm sorry to say it but I'm pretty sure it's a general consensus that Blockland wouldn't be the same game without a modding community, if no add-ons were created, I feel safe assuming there would be a much smaller active playerbase.

Is that mutually beneficial?  Like you're making someone who put 2-3 hours into a mod, and asking someone to watch a 5-10 second advertisement so they can get some sort of physical gain from their work, out to be an unethical leecher.  

Your work only exists because of Blockland - the same can't be said in reverse. Sure the modding community is important but that's because it's members care about the game and the community and not the money they might make if they release something.

If you're looking to make money off what you do, go do it professionally or find a community that lets modders monetize their work. If you care about Blockland and want to make neat things for the community then stick around and do that - but don't expect or feel entitled to compensation for it.

Your work only exists because of Blockland - the same can't be said in reverse. Sure the modding community is important but that's because it's members care about the game and the community and not the money they might make if they release something.

If you're looking to make money off what you do, go do it professionally or find a community that lets modders monetize their work. If you care about Blockland and want to make neat things for the community then stick around and do that - but don't expect or feel entitled to compensation for it.

Like I've said Ephi, I'm not saying I'm entitled to it by any means, I'm just saying that I'd prefer to be appreciated by the moderators for doing these tasks.  Having my add-on failbinned because I attempted to use a secondary site to monetize my work, doesn't make sense to me.

Now, as a question to more understand your side, what if the add-on page had two downloads, one that was ad.fly and a mirror to something like mediafire
Having clear labels on which one was which, and hoping people are generous enough to watch that ad.

Cynical's got a point, it's not unethical, you put your time and work into something for the community and 5 seconds isn't much at all to wait. At least let them put down a direct AND ad.fly link, and if there's only ad.fly you can remove it. It's not that complicated, and everybody wins. Like cyn said, we're monetizing our work, not your site.