Author Topic: [MEGATHREAD]First Robotics Competition [MEGATHREAD]  (Read 601 times)

First Robotics Competition

What is FRC?
First Robotics Competition (commonly abbreviated as FRC)  is an annual robotics competition organized by FIRST (For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology). High school teams from around the globe have six weeks to design, build, and program a robot to compete in a specific competition. The teams do not know what each years game will be until the Kickoff, which marks the beginning of the build season. There are a specific set of guidelines as to what you can and cannot do or use on your robot, such as the 120 lbs weight limit, and maximum perimeter of 112 inches.

The Teams
Every team that is registered is given a team number, and they are allowed to pick a name for their team. Each team has mentors and students. Mentors can be anyone from professional engineers to parents. FRC is meant for the high school level, but FIRST is not particularly strict on this. My team had numerous students who are below the high school level (I was one for two years). Teams get funding from sponsors and/or from team members, with some big sponsors being Boeing, JCPenny, Nasa, PTC, and others. Teams meet at a variety of places, from high schools to the basements of heating and cooling companies.
There are currently over 5000 teams across the globe have registered, although not all of these are still active.

The Competitions
Every year the competition changes, however specific rules remain the same, such as weight limit and robot perimeter. Games often involve inner tubes, balls, or other projectiles or objects that the robots have to be able to manipulate. Last years game revolved around the shooting of frisbees into goals located at each end of the playing field, and then hanging from a steel bar for extra bonus points at the end of each match. This year's game involves the launching of 3 lbs, 25 inch diameter balls into goals at the end of each field. At the kickoff, there is an animation of the game, here's a link to it:
After the build season, teams compete in regional competitions; these very in size, depending on the location. At each competition, each team is assigned a 10'x10' "pit", where they can work on their robots. Safety glasses are required to go down in this area because small power tools are required, and robots could potentially do damage.

After the regionals, the top 3 teams get free admission to Worlds, where teams from across the world come to compete for the final win. Currently, Worlds is being held at the Edwards Jones Dome in St. Louis, Missouri. It will be held here until 2017, where it will then move back to Atlanta, Georgia. If your team did not qualify for Worlds, you can still pay an admission fee to get in.  

The Robot
The robot has a weight limit of 120 lbs, a frame perimeter of 120 inches, and the robot cannot be above 60 inches at the start of each match. The total price of parts used for each robot may not exceed $4000, and no individual part may be more than $400. If you would like to read the entire list of rules, here's a link (it also includes game rules and field specs).
Some teams have all of their parts manufactured for them, but my team has a shop with drill presses, a lathe, a band saw, a mill, and other tools, along with a stock of aluminium. We machine the entire robot ourselves. We are not the only team to do this either.

FAQ
Q. How can I get involved?
A. A great place to start is FRC's website: http://www.usfirst.org/roboticsprograms/frc. Many schools have an FRC team, you could also inquire if your school has one. If not, talk to someone about starting a team, it's a lot of fun! If you are homeschooled or your school is not in a position to create a team, there are other teams you could perhaps join, or you could even make your own. I personally have not done this, so I don't know the details, but again, FRC's website is a great place to get started.

I'll add more if any of you have questions.

Pictures
2012 Game.

Will add more.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 05:28:28 PM by Georges »

Looks like Saturday will probably work for me.

Bit of a big bump.

Anyway, we got a lot done at the shop today, and in the process, I got 56 different cuts on my hands. Now most of them aren't deep enough to actually be a nuisance/painful/bloody, but that's still 56 places my skin was torn open. xD

My school had a team that made it to worlds
we're a smallish public school too

My school had a team that made it to worlds
we're a smallish public school too
Neat. Yah, worlds is a gigantic event, not hard to get lost there!

Also, somewhat relevant, the FTC (First Tech Challenge (I different yet also similar competition)) that my brother (BluetoothBoy) is on just went undefeated in their competetion today. They also won (I think it's the highest level award) a really nice award too! :)

Bit of a big bump.

Anyway, we got a lot done at the shop today, and in the process, I got 56 different cuts on my hands. Now most of them aren't deep enough to actually be a nuisance/painful/bloody, but that's still 56 places my skin was torn open. xD

Deserves bump.

Sand those cuts off with a sanding block xD you'll decrease it to one BIG cut

Yeah, I'm part of a team (Software/Electrical) it's pretty interesting

Although a rule we didn't see before making our design caused a massive panic, though we sorted it out.

I'm thinking of starting a chapter at my high school.

Questions:

-What's the minimum budget one could get by on to make this thing work?
-What level of expertise is necessary for a FRC club to actually work?
-How many hours per week does your high school's club meet?

I'm thinking of starting a chapter at my high school.

Questions:

-What's the minimum budget one could get by on to make this thing work?
-What level of expertise is necessary for a FRC club to actually work?
-How many hours per week does your high school's club meet?
-You need $5000 for registration, more for building, preparation, transportation, food, etc. Right now my team has a $1000 budget for building the robot, which is much better than last year, but there are teams who will spend lots more, I hear. (though only $4k can be spent on the robot)
-Pretty high level. (cutting metal, handyman knowledge, decent programming knowledge) But mentors are allowed so you can learn as you go. IMO start with FTC then work your way up to FRC in a year or two. You're also going to need a very good workshop.
-During build season we expect people to be in there as often as possible. I usually stay one or two hours after school if I can, and if we have weekend meetings I will go there as well. If it's not build season, once or twice a week is usually enough (this really depends on how many people you have though)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 02:40:48 PM by ultimamax »

I don't think the one Georges and I go to has ties to a public school (not totally sure) and most members are homeschooled from what I've seen.

I don't think the one Georges and I go to has ties to a public school (not totally sure) and most members are homeschooled from what I've seen.
Yah. We used to be tied to a school, but we broke away from that and merged with a homeschooling team. Probably 2/3rds are homeschooled.

-You need $5000 for registration, more for building, preparation, transportation, food, etc. Right now my team has a $1000 budget for building the robot, which is much better than last year, but there are teams who will spend lots more, I hear. (though only $4k can be spent on the robot)
-Pretty high level. (cutting metal, handyman knowledge, decent programming knowledge) But mentors are allowed so you can learn as you go. IMO start with FTC then work your way up to FRC in a year or two. You're also going to need a very good workshop.
-During build season we expect people to be in there as often as possible. I usually stay one or two hours after school if I can, and if we have weekend meetings I will go there as well. If it's not build season, once or twice a week is usually enough (this really depends on how many people you have though)
This. We probably get close to the 4k limit every year, but I don't actually know for sure. :P Also, I think I heard about someone who started a team successfully and it was just them at first. 1 person. They did indeed make it to the regionals, but by then they had more than 1 member, I think. 

Huge bump again, our robot and team is going to compete at the STL regionals starting Friday (we get there to set up and get the robot working on Thursday). The Regionals are IMO some of the best days of the year. I can't wait!