Author Topic: Why do forum newbs always associate emoticons as some sort of currency?  (Read 2016 times)

You've seen it before.

"pls tell me and ill give u  :cookie:  :iceCream: :cookie:"
" :cookie: x100 4 u!  :cookieMonster:"

But why do they do this? Seriously, I'm pretty curious. We need to find out - for science.

i miss the old days when we had the censors still.
was funnier and half the emotes made more sense to.

they were removed this one day when badspot basically snapped at everyone. had a banning spree, said forget all y'all. something about not needing to censor chat here.
it was tense on the forum that day XD
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 05:49:26 PM by Bisjac »

When I joined I used common sense to know it was plain idiotic to use emoticons, but I think its just that since the function is there, they guess they can use it for fun.

If thats not it, I guess its kibd of trying to be funny for acceptance in the forums, a they cant know how the forums work, they use it with a comedic purpose, cause you know how strict this forums is, right? Right?

k
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 05:53:13 PM by F3d323 »

I'm gonna say that they see this, " :cookie: :cookieMonster: :panda: :iceCream: :nes:" mind goes to them, "SMASH THE COLORFUL BUTTONS!!!11!"
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 05:53:56 PM by Daswiruch »

I never used them as currency, but used them in stupid ways back then

Well, :cookie: can be used to show gratification.

I also think it's common among new users, and other new users see this and repeat. It's been happening for years, and while the view probably did come about in some members individually, it was also surely learnt by others from seeing it done.

Plus, when you're posting a message on here they're the functions which stand out the most.
All the other BBCode functions are little boxes with odd symbols in them. The emotes are colourful images. Who couldn't resist touching them atleast once?

I'm gonna say that they see this, " :cookie: :cookieMonster: :panda: :iceCream: :nes:" mind goes to them, "SMASH THE COLORFUL BUTTONS!!!11!"

OH MY GOD HOW MAGICAL!!1one11!

I've seen this done on other forums. It's not a concept that only blockland forum members do

They also use them in completely inappropriate and random ways.  Like, they make no sense.  My way of looking at them:

:cookie: -- Bribery and gratification
 :cookieMonster: -- LOL, 'You're wrong', #rekt, #fail, etc
 :panda: -- Sadness, confusion, disappointment
 :iceCream: -- Same purposes as  :cookie:, sometimes an 'in your face' statement
 :nes: -- ??? Never use this one.

:nes: -- ??? Never use this one.

They use those as a random thing or as a signature.

When you mouse over them in the editor they have names.

:cookie: - Praise
:cookieMonster: - Thanks
:panda: - Sad

The other two are not labeled

:cookie: = praise
 :cookieMonster: = thanks
 :panda: = sad

When you mouse over them in the editor they have names.

:cookie: - Praise
:cookieMonster: - Thanks
:panda: - Sad

The other two are not labeled
:cookie: = praise
 :cookieMonster: = thanks
 :panda: = sad

Yep we get it.

both icecream and cookies are treats irl so