Why RTB going be Shutdown?

Author Topic: Why RTB going be Shutdown?  (Read 72347 times)

Goodbye my only way of getting add-ons.

ottosparks: it's METAMORPHASIING
ottosparks: sng
ottosparks: rtb is turning into a BOOtiful BuTERFLY
ottosparks: v0002 mod was catapiler
ottosparks: retail til now was cakoon
ottosparks: NOW IS BUTERFLY

sums it up.
..hhoooooooooohh

it'ssss all okaayyyyy guuuuysssss

So wait.

None of these files will be transferred? No more General Discussion? No more chat? No more friends? :C

So wait.

None of these files will be transferred? No more General Discussion? No more chat? No more friends? :C
it'ssssss alllllll okayyyyyyy kickflllllllooooowwwww

So wait.

1. Download the necessary files you'll most likely need in the future.
2. General discussion wasn't a discussion, it was only filled with twats who intended on spamming or trolling.
3. Use Steam.
4. See no. 3

1. Download the necessary files you'll most likely need in the future.
2. General discussion wasn't a discussion, it was only filled with twats who intended on spamming or trolling.
3. Use Steam.
4. See no. 3
I don't know which files I'll need in the future because it's the future.
It was good to get some help from random people.
RTB is a lot more convenient for chat and adding friends.
 ^^

Just to clarify a few things, RTB development is over and as you can see it will cease to exist beyond March 1st. As it stands, I won't be playing any part in the future of Blockland's development either. This isn't a trick - I genuinely have no plans for Blockland or RTB.

I'll put together a tarball of all submitted add-ons at some point to make downloading everything easier.

RTB Hosting will continue to exist for the foreseeable future.

Will all the mods I've downloaded off RTB in game still going to be there?
or will they disappear?

I'll put together a tarball of all submitted add-ons at some point to make downloading everything easier.
Make sure you include all 'private' ones too :D

Just to clarify a few things, RTB development is over and as you can see it will cease to exist beyond March 1st. As it stands, I won't be playing any part in the future of Blockland's development either. This isn't a trick - I genuinely have no plans for Blockland or RTB.

are you gonna release the source for RTB? (and servers
specifically connect)

Have you heard anything from Badspot that he might be replacing RTB with Steam Workshop? Or will we have to continue installing add-ons old school?

Can you at least recommend to Badspot for making a nice Add-on category system on this forum?

Oh, and we should all remember that Ephialtes has been PAYING to host RTB's add-on and chat systems. If you're gonna whine about it going down then I suggest you whine some place else.

Hold the loving-
LOOK.
What happened to this happening?
RTB v4.1
    Version 4.1 will be the final new feature release for the 4.x versions and will be introducing the long-awaited user-owned chat rooms for the RTB Connect service. The idea will be to allow any user to create their own chat room which they can fully manage themselves. A couple of the features may include:

Optional BlockBot presence for room moderation.
Room browser to search and filter player-owned rooms to join.
Full user management functionality including ranks, banning and custom icons for the room.

I've not yet decided whether rooms will be persistent (i.e. they continue to exist after everyone's left) or whether there's some process to apply for a persistent room which may be granted to the more popular ones. The volume of player-owned rooms will initially probably be substantial since everyone's going to want one so this would work well as a process of pruning the less popular/empty ones.

Any ideas anyone can offer for a room browser would be great - I'd probably want it to be able to happily handle around 100 rooms and have them easy to browse and sort.

RTB v5 - RTB Buffet
    RTB Buffet is the working name for the next big feature of RTB which is essentially going to be a system to allow users to upload, share, rate, comment on and download "props" they've made in Blockland. A prop is a general term for anything made in Blockland short of an entire build - it could be anything from a lamp post to an evented computer to a ye olde medieval shop. RTB Buffet would allow users to submit these props to RTB to allow other users to browse and load them directly into the server they're playing on.

For every prop uploaded, all you need to do is supply the .bls of the prop you want to submit and enter a few tags describing what you've submitted to allow users to easily browse similar submissions they're looking for. RTB Buffet will then process your save file and determine any custom bricks/items/vehicles required to load the prop and will also generate a number of different screenshots you can pick from to showcase your submission.

Users browsing the system (either via an in-game client like the mod manager or via the website) can search by tag to find what they're looking for easily. They'll be able to see all kinds of details about the build before loading it including the recommended colorset and a preview of the colors that would be used if you loaded it into your server with your existing colorset. You'd also be able to see all the custom add-ons you'd be recommended to install to load the prop with easy links to download these via the mod manager. Hitting the load button would give the user a temp brick similar to the duplicator which would allow them to place the prop in the server and then do whatever they want with it.

It'd be great to hear your ideas about this new service. Let me know how you'd intend to use the service and what kind of things you'd be uploading and I'll do my best to make sure the service allows you to do it. More community discussion on the kind of ideas this feature encompasses can be found here: http://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=211093.0

As always, suggestions, feedback and questions are welcome in the thread.
http://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=224140.0

Aw darn! RTB was undoubtedly one of the best private services on Blockland available, it's sad to see it go though. Will there ever be an alternative to RTB? I hope there will be.