Author Topic: 2014/02/10 - Blockland r1931  (Read 81435 times)

lol good luck getting customers
Any hosting service has to ask it's users for credentials at some point or another.

lol good luck getting customers

Good luck running a dedicated hosting service that accepts Steam users without requiring their Steam credentials.

ermm, I'm pretty sure that services don't generally require you to give them your steam password and username lol. iirc it works in a similar way to paypal

ermm, I'm pretty sure that services don't generally require you to give them your steam password and username lol.
I also need their most recent Steam Guard code after I run the Blockland server under Steam for the first time.
There's no way you can authenticate without a password.

I also need their most recent Steam Guard code after I run the Blockland server under Steam for the first time.
There's no way you can authenticate without a password.
I hope you know steam has an API for this stuff, i don't buy your requirement of a steam account one bit.
EDIT: http://steamcommunity.com/dev is probably what you want.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 08:57:42 PM by Wrapperup »

I hope you know steam has an API for this stuff, i don't buy your requirement of a steam account one bit.
Then it's possible for me to run a Blockland server under your name, as long as I know your username. If what you're saying is correct, I wouldn't need a password.
Do you think Valve would want that?

So tell me how to use that API. I believe you're referring to something different than you think you are, by accident.

Requiring users to enter their username and password on your site is a violation of the steam TOS, and will get you permanently banned from using the service.

Requiring users to enter their username and password on your site is a violation of the steam TOS, and will get you permanently banned from using the service.
Oh damn, I didn't know that.
Looks like I'll have to reform the code.
Edit: I'm actually happy now since I don't need users' Steam passwords to authenticate.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 09:12:02 PM by Hammereditor5 »

Don't be silly polandball, I am an industrious 13 year old and know how to use web sockets!
Of course I need your password! Rules do not apply because I am a smart individual!
Edit: I'm actually happy now since I don't need users' Steam passwords to authenticate.
...even though there was an option to not require steam account information after all! Oh well, I was sort of looking forward to being a tremendous forgetup once again! Sigh! #hamout

Oh damn, I didn't know that.
And by the service I meant steam as a whole.
And by you I meant anyone using your IP, so your whole family.
And also forever.

Good decision :)

Rules do not apply because I am a smart individual!...even though there was an option to not require steam account information after all!
I didn't know this rule existed in the first place. If I had found it earlier, I would have changed my authentication process earlier.
I am an industrious 13 year old and know how to use web sockets!
It's actually 16 years old. And how do web sockets relate to this?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 10:21:23 PM by Hammereditor5 »

Why not use OpenID in the first place?

Why not use OpenID in the first place?
I did not think it could be used for authenticating gane servers at first.
But I did a solid hour of searching yesterday and hadn't seen one instance of somebody using it on a game server. Also, steamID's seem to have been designed for logging into web sites, not using them with games.

I will ask about this on the Steam forums. The more I read, the more convinced I become that Badspot must do something in order for passwordless Steam authentication to work with dedi-servers.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 09:55:51 AM by Hammereditor5 »

I'd really like to see a method to change your key in Steam...

I did not think it could be used for authenticating gane servers at first.
But I did a solid hour of searching yesterday and hadn't seen one instance of somebody using it on a game server. Also, steamID's seem to have been designed for logging into web sites, not using them with games.

I will ask about this on the Steam forums. The more I read, the more convinced I become that Badspot must do something in order for passwordless Steam authentication to work with dedi-servers.
Or you could've just read this:
Steam OpenID Provider
Steam can act as an OpenID provider. This allows your application to authenticate a user's SteamID without requiring them to enter their Steam username or password on your site (which would be a violation of the API Terms of Use.) Just download an OpenID library for your language and platform of choice and use http://steamcommunity.com/openid as the provider. The returned Claimed ID will contain the user's 64-bit SteamID. The Claimed ID format is: http://steamcommunity.com/openid/id/<steamid>

I'd really like to see a method to change your key in Steam...
Why?