Author Topic: Ubuntu help?  (Read 784 times)

I recently installed ubuntu 12.04 on my desktop computer, but when I boot it up the bios does its thing and then I get a black screen with
The current input timing is not supported by the monitor display.
Please change your input timing to 2048x1152@60Hz or any other monitor
listed timing as per the monitor specifications.
in the middle of it.

That really sucks for me because I don't have another monitor nor do I have a way to change the resolution to something lower than it is currently.

Any ideas?

Uh, does Ubuntu boot at all? Cause it might be possible to just Ctrl+Alt+F1 and login from tty1 or something

Uh, does Ubuntu boot at all? Cause it might be possible to just Ctrl+Alt+F1 and login from tty1 or something
I don't know if it is booting. The monitor isn't doing anything because ubuntu is outputting an input timing that is too much for my monitor to display. I have no way to fix this currently as my monitor is not displaying anything from the computer. I need a way that does not involve needing to see what is on the screen.

You don't need to change the resolution, just the refresh rate. There should be a setting for that in your monitor.

You don't need to change the resolution, just the refresh rate. There should be a setting for that in your monitor.
Oh, ok. How do I change my monitor's settings?

Here's the monitor in question if that helps.
http://www.dell.com/us/p/dell-sp2309wfp/pd

richard around in the settings, if there is a display option, go there. What your looking for is something measured in hertz (Hz) and try multiple ones, you should probably have it at 50 or 60Hz.

The only button on my monitor is the power button.

I highly doubt your monitor doesn't have settings.

Look on the back.

I found a button. It switches between digital input, brown townog input, and HDMI input. No settings tho.

Have you tried taking it out and putting it back in?

People also say you can change the settings in xorg.conf.

Resetting an out-of-range resolution

If you set a resolution inappropriate for your monitor in the Screen Resolution GUI tool, you can reset it from a terminal by running

$ rm ~/.config/monitors.xml
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config/Resolution
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 10:36:08 AM by tails »

Okay, I fixed it by booting into recovery mode which allowed me to use a failsafe graphics mode. (SUPER low resolution and all that) After that, I manually installed the drivers for my graphics card and rebooted. It ran perfectly.

Locking.