Thief Megathread :: Reboot released!

Author Topic: Thief Megathread :: Reboot released!  (Read 1303 times)

About
stolen from the wiki olololololol
Thief is a series of stealth video games in which the player takes the role of Garrett, a master thief in a fantasy/steampunk world resembling a cross between the Late Middle Ages and the Victorian era, with more advanced technologies interspersed. The main tactic of Thief is to avoid fights and instead sneak around the enemies. Thief is sometimes described as either a "first-person sneaker", "sneak-em-up" or a "first-person looter" to emphasize this difference. Classification of the game has been slow coming, as three-dimensional stealth games, such as Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell and Assassin's Creed, only became more common years after the first Thief. Another innovation introduced by Thief is the careful use of sound effects as an integral part of gameplay. Sound cues not only tell the player of other characters in the vicinity, but also indicate how much noise Garrett makes when moving about an area. Too much noise can alert nearby guards, who will grow suspicious and come looking for intruders. There are a variety of tactics to avoid being heard, however, such as walking gently, steering clear of noisy pavement, or using moss arrows to create a carpet that muffles the sound of footsteps. In a similar vein, using light and dark became one of the most important strategies. A gauge at the bottom of the screen (called the 'Light Gem') indicates how visible the protagonist is. Entering deeper shadows or ducking makes the character less likely to be noticed. Walking about increases the risk of being spotted, and having a sword or bow drawn makes him very conspicuous in the game. The astute player is constantly keeping an eye on areas of light or shadow, guard patrol routes, and the type of terrain they are walking on, in case a hiding place is needed in a hurry. A light source, such as a torch or gas lamp, can be doused with a Water Arrow, creating an area of darkness in which the player may hide. Electrically powered lights, in all games, may simply be shut off by using a nearby switch or button; however, if no light switch is available, the electrical light will not turn off by simply shooting a Water Arrow at it. In Thief: Deadly Shadows, the player can simply 'pinch out' a lit candle by pressing the use button on it. A guard or any civilian may notice if a light source has been put out, likewise if something valuable has been stolen.

Games
-Thief: The Dark Project (1998)
-Thief II: The Metal Age (2000)
-Thief: Deadly Shadows (2004)
-Thief (2014 - Series reboot)

Screenshots (Progressing from Dark Project to the 2014 Reboot)

Videos
Gameplay Trailer for Reboot
WTF is... -Thief?
Deadly Shadows Trailer

I myself haven't played the first two but have played Deadly Shadows (still haven't completed it) and enjoyed it. I'm pretty excited for the release of the reboot tomorrow.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 05:45:55 AM by Ghille »

this game got a lot of 6/10s on its reviews lol.
ai sucks apparently

this game got a lot of 6/10s on its reviews lol.
ai sucks apparently
what was skyrim rated? how was its AI?

Preordered it today, 72.9% preloaded as of writing this post

what was skyrim rated? how was its AI?
i dunno, and ai was fine. what's your point

i dunno, and ai was fine. what's your point
Skyrim got great ratings, and it has awful AI

and thief got bad ratings with bad ai.

and thief got bad ratings with bad ai.
forget it, you won't ever yield

Pretty much people are disappointed with the self hype they gave themselves and expected the game to be gta but stealth.

Is this a linear story?

Pretty much people are disappointed with the self hype they gave themselves and expected the game to be gta but stealth.
I agree. There was too much hype inflation, both positive and negative hype
If you evaluate what you've got at face value, imo it's a good game. Of course I have yet to play it, but I watched/read a few reviews and it does pretty much what I want a stealth game to do.

neither does Skyrim AI.

OT: I think I'll get into Thief soon, the originals look good and so does the reboot.

iunno i didn't play the reboot thief but like
skyrim's bad ai doesn't make it horrendously unplayable
its like if in metal gear solid 3 if the enemy notices me 200 feet away behind a tree or if in luigi's mansion they'd always float around outside of the walls

That's because Skyrim is a game where the AI isn't that important.

You can't disregard an orange if it doesn't taste like an apple.

Artificial intelligence is a key factor in most stealth games, and usually poor and or buggy AI detracts from the gameplay, making the game tedious and frustrating. The majority of Skyrim's gameplay doesn't hinge on the quality of it's AI as much as a game focused purely on stealth combat does.

With that said, I don't think the AI in this game was as bad as reviewers are making it out to be. I think their standards are too high for a game to realistically live up to. I enjoyed Thief quite well, and I think most folks will.