Author Topic: Is it illegal to record a class in school because it's funny and upload it?  (Read 1151 times)

seriously my AP Java class is the funniest stuff ever, some days kids will just make a ton of funny noises and the teacher is like near deaf in one ear so he doesn't really hear anything at specific sound frequencies. I'd share it with you guys if I can confirm that I'm allowed to post it. They're just clips of the funniest moments in the class, each clip being maybe a max of 20 seconds long, some are shorter than others. My friend did all the recording on his phone hidden under his keyboard.

seriously my AP Java class is the funniest stuff ever, some days kids will just make a ton of funny noises and the teacher is like near deaf in one ear so he doesn't really hear anything at specific sound frequencies. I'd share it with you guys if I can confirm that I'm allowed to post it. They're just clips of the funniest moments in the class, each clip being maybe a max of 20 seconds long, some are shorter than others. My friend did all the recording on his phone hidden under his keyboard.

Well look at the youtube videos of teachers throwing stuff at students and crap, they're allowed, so why aint you allowed?

Wait, there might be certain things you can't post like names / faces, blur them out then post it.

Even if it weren't allowed, I doubt you'd be hunted down by the FBI or whatever agency is applicable for a video about fart sounds in school or whatever it is you do.

I guess it is legal, there's tons of videos of classes.
Just make sure your school doesn't see it.

Its illegal if the people tell you not to. If they don't mind than its fine.

Even if it weren't allowed, I doubt you'd be hunted down by the FBI or whatever agency is applicable for a video about fart sounds in school or whatever it is you do.
School might get butthurt or the students will about there faces being posted online. I'd suggest bluring them out to avoid any legal issues.

School might get butthurt or the students will about there faces being posted online. I'd suggest bluring them out to avoid any legal issues.
It's just an audio file lol

you're making me check through my copies of United States laws over a loving audio file?

If it's audio then it's k, post it.

If it's audio then it's k, post it.

That is totally not right. Everyone here is pretty much wrong. Schools have certain rules, and pretty much every public and especially private school has a rule against recording stuff in class. If you upload it and it ever makes it back to your schools administration you would be in deep stuff with them. You could be suspended or even expelled.

I don't know where people get the idea that audio isn't protected, audio is actually heavily protected. Some places have laws that if you're recording audio all parties must agree to it or else it's considered wire tapping. So I wouldn't record anything from school if I were you. I doubt there would be any legal trouble but there would certainly be  trouble with the school like I said before.

Most importantly I doubt your class is actually funny. They're all probably obnoxious and lame as stuff.

Its illegal if the people tell you not to. If they don't mind than its fine.
what if they're in public?

who cares upload them

who cares upload them
private schools and overprotective puritans

private schools and overprotective puritans
there's a very good chance he's in public school

there's a very good chance he's in public school

Which doesn't make a difference, most schools don't allow you to record in class.

what if they're in public?

A school isn't a public place, but in public you're allowed to take pictures and record whoever you want.