Author Topic: Paleontologists vs Smugglers CP TDM  (Read 2307 times)

It looks 1000x better with the environment haha

It looks 1000x better with the environment haha

haha, ya, I designed the map to look best with the environment and shaders on.

Damn, I didn't think about weapons.  That might be hard to balance.  I think what I'll do is set the time period to be in Jones' era, so the smugglers can have a tommy gun-like weapons.  I'll see what I can dig up, and I will try to vary the weapons based on team.
I think what you need really is just the two teams to have different weapons, but they have identical roles and stats.
So, one side might have a tommy gun, yet the other has a differing sort of machine gun.

The games get unbalanced when one side has, say, a rocket launcher available to them, and the other team has a sniper rifle.
It might be cool that they have different weapons, but one team can't get long-range kills and the other can't kill lots of people in one go.

Having a set-menu of weapons, like a pistol, a machine gun, a grenade and a rifle works fine.
Then both can have alternate versions of the same type of weapon. You just make sure that all mahine guns have the same damage and fire-speed as each other.

Smugglers works well as a title.
If you want to make it sound less like a generic term, then just try "Paleontologists vs Dino Smugglers".

I think the map would be way cooler if it was bigger.

I think what you need really is just the two teams to have different weapons, but they have identical roles and stats.
So, one side might have a tommy gun, yet the other has a differing sort of machine gun.

The games get unbalanced when one side has, say, a rocket launcher available to them, and the other team has a sniper rifle.
It might be cool that they have different weapons, but one team can't get long-range kills and the other can't kill lots of people in one go.

Having a set-menu of weapons, like a pistol, a machine gun, a grenade and a rifle works fine.
Then both can have alternate versions of the same type of weapon. You just make sure that all mahine guns have the same damage and fire-speed as each other.

So would you suggest preset classes, or the system where you choose a primary weapon, secondary weapon, melee, etc.?  I've done both in the past and have preferred the latter option, though balance may be compromised in that system..

I also never do the RL vs sniper rifle thing - seems too illogical - unless the playertypes differ between teams/classes.

I'll do my best to find weapons that match the themes.

Classes are awkward and they inhibit the player. And in this case it doesn't make sense. There's no such thing as a sniper paleontologist.

Pick and Mix is definitely a better system.
I don't know if you ever played Furdle's Star Wars CP TDM, but he had an interesting system where a bunch of weapons were available for players to purchase. Every kill was a point that could be spent on unlocking a weapon. It was quite a fun system.

The downside to the system Furdle used was that it took quite a lot of kills to get a new weapon (which is something you can easily avoid), and he had weapons on 1 team that were entirely unavailable on the other, and those weapons were very powerful.
You could balance it quite well and use that system, but of course you then need 3-4+ sets of weapons, some of which may need to be made new.

Really though, the pick and mix is a better option than classes. And so long as each team has equivalent weapons that do the same damage/fire rate then it will always be balanced.
The issue is when one team has a machine gun that does more damage than the other teams version, or a pistol that fires faster than the enemy's.