Why is this forum so hostile?

Author Topic: Why is this forum so hostile?  (Read 5407 times)

Some of you users may have noticed or been a witness to some extremely hostile behavior on here. Some more than others, some are the people that are hostile. But what I want to know is why? I'm not asking to prod into some anti-bullying program, I'm seriously curious. Why is this forum so much more hostile than other forums? Is there just more lax moderation around those areas of flaming? I'm not sure. /discuss

Theres a lot of grudges

Also there's a lot of bad people but there's also a lot of cool people

Badspot isn't our mom and has no interest in being so. He also doesn't feel sympathy for a lot of the people being flamed. He does ban people who go over the top, but if someone is just telling it how it is, that's cool.

Basically, at other forums they promote weird people to administrative positions who then go out and protect all of their weird minority groups, which turns out to be everyone.

Basically, at other forums they promote weird people to administrative positions who then go out and protect all of their weird minority groups, which turns out to be everyone.
I've noticed this too, on other forums - this might have to be it. But still, that doesn't explain why the hostility is here in the first place.

Blockland's Forums don't come across to me as hostile, I just would say that we are unique.

Because we get away with it.

Because some people here feel the need to show off their big e-richard
correcting others
pointing out every little thing wrong
having to be right 100% of the time
and in some cases being a huge douche for no reason and/or starting stuff for no reason

I've noticed this too, on other forums - this might have to be it. But still, that doesn't explain why the hostility is here in the first place.
People know they can get away with expressing their actual opinions, so they do.

For example, if you hated bronies but knew that you would get banned for ragging on them, you probably wouldn't do that. You still feel the same way about them, though. If you were on a forum where the administration didn't care, you would say mean things about bronies all the time.

To be fair, the forums are actually becoming less of a hostile place considering what it was like a few years ago.

It's not like it's an unnecessarily hostile forum though, compared to places like facepunch, our community is pretty nice

To be fair, the forums are actually becoming less of a hostile place considering what it was like a few years ago.
Yeah - this is true. I was on these forums in 2012 or 2013, and I knew how bad it was. I was, to be honest, afraid of the forums when i was a little kid because they just... looked scary.

The forum can be, but this is just a place filled with teenagers.

We're not loving hostile
get your loving facts straight

Badspot

• Administrator
For moderation, I generally prefer chaos over oppression.  Sure there's some unchecked hostility, but if you crank up the moderation then the abuse just shifts towards the tattle-tail side of the spectrum.  The new way to bully people is to provoke them until they violate the rules, then report them.  You can see this a lot of games that attempt to be "kid friendly".  Also I don't even read 1% of the posts on the forum, so if something doesn't get reported then it doesn't get moderated - and people don't seem to report general richardery.

If you compare the forum to any other group of unsupervised teenagers, it's actually quite peaceful.  If you leave a real life classroom alone for a few hours the kids will physically assault each other.  There have been some remarkably successful threads - like that pixel art choose your own adventure that someone made which now I can't find.  Even controversial topics like #banbossy had some rational discussion with only a few trouble makers.