Author Topic: downgrading to windows 7?  (Read 3333 times)

I didn't even mind the start menu being gone, if I were to upgrade to windows 8 I'd keep metro since I like new features, not just some windows 7 reskin

Windows 8 is an unstable, unoptimized
Yeeeah, I'm gonna have to disagree with you here. Windows 8 32-bit runs well on my 10-year-old hardware with little to no crashing.

I didn't even mind the start menu being gone, if I were to upgrade to windows 8 I'd keep metro since I like new features, not just some windows 7 reskin
Then you clearly didn't utilize it at all. For anyone (like myself) who uses their PC properly and effectively, the lack of a start menu was an extreme downside to convenience and quick use of desktop file finding. Instead of having to completely stop what I'm doing to try to search for files on some other screen besides my desktop, I can do it immediately and not have to loose my train of thought on stuff that I'm working on. You're delusional or just don't really use PC's if you think the lack of start menu doesn't matter.

And as a general rule of thumb, 32-bit seems to be significantly more functional than 64-bit for a lot of things. I can't be bothered to try to figure out how adding more random access memory causes programs to stop working, but whatever.

yeah I used it a lot in vista but in windows 7 I use the taskbar more, which is far more convenient than the start menu

that being said though windows 8 probably wouldn't be much of an upgrade to me since I'd never use metro/the start button
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 01:58:44 PM by Maxwell. »

Tablets are just toys. They have limited uses such as web surfing, checking posts,  taking low quality pictures/video, and watching a video. I can't type up report, play non casual games such command and conquer, or do online home work.

It's foolish to make a Tablet OS for a desktop. A desktop is a truck, not a tiny corvette. The market has created an illusion where a device being slim, wireless, mobile, small and has a touch screen is some how infinitely better and futuristic than a large device.

idk man. These new atom tablets coming out can play TF2.

Yeeeah, I'm gonna have to disagree with you here. Windows 8 32-bit runs well on my 10-year-old hardware with little to no crashing.
Explorer crashes all the loving time, its very sluggish on startup and on exiting sleep mode, and it eats up my battery life even when it's just idling. This is on a high end i7-based Lenovo laptop. I have dualboot installed and W7 lasts a good 3-4 hours longer than W8 on the exact same system.

You have to realize that metro was loving PORTED from a phone architecture to 32/64 bit. It wasn't rewritten. This causes major problems with efficiency and countless performance bottlenecks, and you can't ever turn it off when you're not using it, it's always there eating away at your system's resources.

idk man. These new atom tablets coming out can play TF2.
cool, so can my early 2000's era budget desktop, so can my schools cheapass netbooks, this is not an impressive feat
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 03:49:11 PM by takato14 »

except a tablet is really portable, much more than a laptop anyway

except a tablet is really portable
so is a loving laptop you twit

except a tablet is really portable

don't you ninjaedit me, either. A tablet is not a computer. W8 is fine as a tablet OS. It is not fine for anything else.

laptops aren't as portable

also they are kind of becoming the next kind of computer anyway

laptops aren't as portable
My Open Pandora isn't as portable as my DS Lite, doesn't mean it's not infinitely superior simply by design

also they are kind of becoming the next kind of computer anyway
stop loving editing your posts. tablets cannot replace desktops and they never will

lol you're getting really worked up about me editing, they're not going to replace desktops no but maybe laptops someday

Explorer crashes all the loving time, its very sluggish on startup and on exiting sleep mode, and it eats up my battery life even when it's just idling. This is on a high end i7-based Lenovo laptop. I have dualboot installed and W7 lasts a good 3-4 hours longer than W8 on the exact same system.

I've used Windows 8 for quite a long time on my laptop and none of these problems have happened with me.

Also tablets are rising in popularity and are competing quite well with laptops. Microsoft's done some pretty cool hybrid things between a tablet and a laptop and they've sold well. Why are you getting so mad about this stuff?

I've used Windows 8 for quite a long time on my laptop and none of these problems have happened with me.

Also tablets are rising in popularity and are competing quite well with laptops. Microsoft's done some pretty cool hybrid things between a tablet and a laptop and they've sold well. Why are you getting so mad about this stuff?

He's one of those guys who believes their opinion is always right and we're always wrong.
He's the gatekeeper.

switching to windows 8 atm
because my start orb doesn't work after countless tries to fix it
That sounds like a registry error. It's an easy fix, if you know what you're doing and looking for.

W8 uses less RAM and CPU than 7. W8 boots and closes faster than 7. W8 searches faster than 7 (in my experience, I haven't seen an article about this however).

If you don't like the look of 8, download and change the theme. It's not even that hard, why would you trade off performance for a useless start menu and a generic look? You will probably change the theme in 7, too, so why not 8?

I for one love the simple colors look of 8. I like how everything blends in and is a solid color. I had that type of theme in 7. When it comes down to it, the desktop is the desktop and 8 wins the spec wars. (For all those complaining about bugs- win 8 is new and 7 is not. 7 has had time to iron out the bugs and 8 will come soon enough).