Author Topic: Updated Terrain Generator [Video Added]  (Read 13843 times)

brick-efficiency
support ModTer bricks, including adapting to the various brick sizes.
YYEEEEEEESSS

Very cool! Can't wait for the release.

This is absolutely stunning
YYEEEEEEESSS
Very cool! Can't wait for the release.
Thanks guys

i meant joining a server to walk on the build and having only like 1 FPS but you said you'd somehow fix that
Yes, I'm going to include various options to help reduce lag, such as disabling the ground under the dirt layer, increasing the terrain brick size, etc.

You can't guarantee with this terragen that you'll get exactly what you're looking for, and there are plenty of effects that it cannot yet create.
Exactly, this is not meant to replace building terrain by hand, just to help when needed - such as if you want to quickly generate a landscape to build on.

Can you show off some modter options and stuff please? I'd love to see some.

Can you show off some modter options and stuff please? I'd love to see some.
Sure, I haven't gotten to ModTer options just yet, but I will eventually. I'm going to reuse/modify the ModTer placement script from the previous version.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 01:30:49 PM by [GSF]Ghost »

Oh. Will it support modter sizes that aren't 4x then? Like will it support if I want to generate the entire terrain out of 32x's 1/4 h modter bricks?

Yes, that'll be one of the highlights of the generator. I'm going to try to set it up to adapt to various ModTer brick sizes, which shouldn't be too difficult.

You should consider making a Mini Empires world builder.

Sounds awesome! It would be cool to have an option to generate island terrains as well. Maybe something like in one of these pictures, but not just a generated square that cuts the terrain off where it is not sand on the edges.

Examples of different seed, brick-size and sand-level settings. The first image uses 16x bricks for the terrain, the second uses 4x, and the last, 8x.

When are you planning to release this?

Would it be possible to add like 1 plate to the "voxel-like" option, so there is a 1 plate gap? And then you could add like grass on top of it with another option?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 10:08:13 PM by -Blok- »

if it supports modter, will it be able to generate maps with slopes and arches?

[Update] I've been making progress with infinite terrain generation! I just finished a script that saves "edited" chunks in .bls format; I even tested loading the chunks as separate saves and it works (there is an issue with rapids bricks though). I also finished some scripts that gradually build and remove/save chunks to prevent lag.

I'll upload a video once I get chunks to load from saves. If anyone knows a custom script for loading bricks from .bls saves, please let me know - it'll save me a lot of time.

Sounds awesome! It would be cool to have an option to generate island terrains as well. Maybe something like in one of these pictures, but not just a generated square that cuts the terrain off where it is not sand on the edges.
That's a great idea, and not overly difficult to achieve either.

When are you planning to release this?
Hopefully in the next few weeks, maybe sometime in late June?

I'm not too sure yet - I still need to finish water brick placement; ModTer support; the GUI, detail brick placement; finalize infinite terrain generation; gradual finite terrain generation passes (like for terrain first, then ModTer, then details); and misc stuff like place-capping, clouds, boundaries, preset support, etc.. So, still a lot to do.

Would it be possible to add like 1 plate to the "voxel-like" option, so there is a 1 plate gap? And then you could add like grass on top of it with another option?
Already planning on including these options. :)

if it supports modter, will it be able to generate maps with slopes and arches?
Yes, you will be able to. Right now, I'm planning on only using the same height-scale ModTer brick across the landscape. But, if possible, I'll try to set it up to use different ModTer height-scales so that slopes will look more gradual.

Nice!

Can't wait for this to be released!