Author Topic: Updated Terrain Generator [Video Added]  (Read 13796 times)

Nice!

Can't wait for this to be released!

BTW, I was just informed that there is another imposter going around claiming to be me. His ID is 22961 and I believe his IGN is thedarkcloverkillerjake.

Do you think you could add an estimated brick count? Just a simple number in the corner that changes with each setting?

Do you think you could add an estimated brick count? Just a simple number in the corner that changes with each setting?
This would be amazing.

I'm going to sue you for ruining my favorite pants with my semen.
Seriously though, no more artifical-looking pyramid-caps like in the old one! It's so beautiful and smooth! :D

One thing I will say though is that it looks almost too perfectly smooth. Maybe add a configurable amount of noise combined with the fractals to roughen it up and make it less blobby?

I'll consider it - it might be easier to just count the exact number of bricks used when previewing the terrain.

Seriously though, no more artifical-looking pyramid-caps like in the old one! It's so beautiful and smooth! :D

One thing I will say though is that it looks almost too perfectly smooth. Maybe add a configurable amount of noise combined with the fractals to roughen it up and make it less blobby?
Yeah, this noise algorithm is much, MUCH better lol. Right now, the fractal uses 3 iterations of noise to give the terrain it's form; I could add another iteration to make the terrain look more rough, but it would take slightly longer to generate chunks and might only be noticeable for 4x cube terrain.

Will it remove special bricks like vehicle spawns when a chunk is deleted? I'm concerned about Slayer CTF flags mainly.

edit: And bots. And vehicles. Basically any non-terrain bricks.

Will it remove special bricks like vehicle spawns when a chunk is deleted? I'm concerned about Slayer CTF flags mainly.

edit: And bots. And vehicles. Basically any non-terrain bricks.
Well, if you manually plant any brick within a chunk, it'll treat the planted brick as part of the terrain. Items, particles, lights, vehicles, music, special bricks, etc. will all be saved once a chunk is removed, and reloaded once a chunk is generated from a save file. I'm also thinking of somehow preventing certain chunks from being removed, i.e. like for a spawn area.

Update: I'm taking a break from Blockland mods for awhile. I still plan on finishing the version 3 update for PTG, as well as the version 5 update of Item Storage, but I need to focus on getting a playable demo ready for my own game right now. I'll update the OP of this topic once I start making progress on PTG again.

Will this ever be realeased?

That looks pretty cool. 2/2

Will this ever be realeased?
Hopefully in just a few weeks.

Bump: Made some progress! Thought I'd post some pics from the public tests on my server, as well as some other screenshots (or check out the entire dev. album):

« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 01:23:23 AM by [GSF]Ghost »

Will it work for mod-terrain?

These are turning out extremely well! Keep it up!

These are turning out extremely well! Keep it up!
Amazing!
Thanks!

Will it work for mod-terrain?
I am planning on adding Modular Terrain support later on. It's going to be kinda difficult to get it to work with infinite terrain, but it's still possible.

Progress info:
Custom Biomes have been added; just like in the previous version, you can setup up to 3 biomes to be generated, along with the default, shore and underwater / submarine biomes. But, now you have the option of choosing 12 detail bricks to be generated per biome. I'm also planning on making caves a biome option, so you can generate details for them as well.

Multiplayer for infinite terrain has been added! I've tested it already on my server, and it works fairly well - the rate at which chunks are generated needs to be tweaked though. It also saves and loads player builds lawlessly (I still need to add support for loading events, emitters, etc.).

Players' bricks are now handled as simsets, which means that each player's bricks stay within their brickgroups, but are also removed / saved to the terrain once distant chunks are culled. Brickownership should also be loaded when players' bricks are loaded from file with the terrain. The host now has the option of choosing whether or not to generate / load bricks publically. If not, terrain will be handled in the host's own brickgroup, thus they will "own" them. Otherwise, bricks are loaded in the public brickgroup, so other players can build on the terrain, but not edit it (useful for dedicated servers).

Pathways, toggleable solid ground, waterbrick placement, chunk-saving options, chunk-radius setting per player, function delays, and many other features have been added! Also, new server commands have been added, which allow you to display your position / the current chunk you are in, display the current number of chunks and to toggle setting the chunk you're in to static or not (static chunks don't get removed when other distance chunks are removed - useful for spawn areas).

« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 06:44:33 PM by [GSF]Ghost »

Alright, here's a real question and a request that might be a bit much; would you be able to add a feature to make islands that are attached to the ground plane, rather than floating chunks of land? This way I could have a smoother sort of island hopping gameplay without the need for arbitrary barriers of "that's where the world ends," not to mention it would save on brick count even further by having the ground plane as, well, a ground plane instead of bricks.