why is save uploading so slow compared to uploading to server via ftp?

Author Topic: why is save uploading so slow compared to uploading to server via ftp?  (Read 2013 times)

i find it in every case easier to upload a save to the temp folder via ftp, then just reload bricks
why is loading ingame so slow?

I think save uploading works by sending each save line to the server as a command.

It can only go so fast.

I think save uploading works by sending each save line to the server as a command.

It can only go so fast.
Yes. Uploading a .bls file through Blockland uses the UDP connection, and BL's max. packet rate and packet size constrain the speed.
The maximum speed is 32.768 Kbps (1024 [bits per packet] * 32 [packets per second] = 32768 bits/s.).
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 07:19:03 PM by Hammereditor5 »

guys /timescale 2 works 2x faster, because the packets are being sent 2x as fast.

guys /timescale 2 works 2x faster, because the packets are being sent 2x as fast.

what if you modified blockland to go up to 4x faster?

Save uploading is artificially rate limited to prevent lag.

You can remove this limitation with a Boolean variable that... I can't remember.

Something to do with $pref::fastLoad = 1;

I think I found that on a hidden element in the save upload gui. Can someone confirm all of this?

Also, you're right about packets and stuff, but it's still artificially limited.

did badspot intentionally make it so admins loading bricks is slower than the host loading bricks?

did badspot intentionally make it so admins loading bricks is slower than the host loading bricks?

um, the host uploads faster because if he has the save file, then the server already has the save file

thus it doesn't need to upload it, silly

um, the host uploads faster because if he has the save file, then the server already has the save file
thus it doesn't need to upload it, silly
have you ever hosted a dedicated server before

I really think that Badspot should at least hash the save files beforehand and check if the server has an identical save.

I'm sure he has. On dedicated servers, everyone has to upload because nobody is the actual host.

he never mentioned anything about dedicated servers, only a host

like port said, nobody is the actual host
except if they do that host thing but i doubt that'll affect anything in terms of save uploading

Something to do with $pref::fastLoad = 1;

I think I found that on a hidden element in the save upload gui. Can someone confirm all of this?

Yep

I once made something called Super Save Upload. The problem is that you loose the ability to move or get any packets from the server. But it loads about 6x faster.

I once made something called Super Save Upload. The problem is that you loose the ability to move or get any packets from the server. But it loads about 6x faster.
Let us have it.