3 (25%)
Red Hat/SUSE
0 (0%)
BSD (this includes Mac and iOS)
2 (16.7%)
Other
3 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Author Topic: The UNIX Megathread -- New poll  (Read 18173 times)

UNIX Megathread

Because Linux is too narrow of a topic. Here, we discuss everything except windows.
    That includes smartphones and things.

What is UNIX?

Unix is an operating system that has been around for an incredibly long time and has been thestarting point for pretty much every major operating system besides Windows. The original version of Unix was popular in the 70s and 80s, and it was used mainly for acedemic purposes. It was developed by AT&T's Bell Labs and AT&T tried to commercialize it by giving the license for the OS to third party vendors who made different variants of Unix. Two of the most common variants were BSD (Berkley Software distribution from the University of California, Berkeley) and System V (From AT&T directly). Both were made from Version 7 Unix. Later in the 90s, BSD became independant of AT&T and various open-source BSD variants began to take shape. These later became the base for Mac OS X. Around the same time, the nearly-complete GNU operating system was made operational by the inclusion of the Linux kernel (made by Linus Torvalds) and lumped together under the label "GNU/Linux". GNU/Linux was written from scratch to avoid legal trouble. It is, however, compatible with a lot of the same software unmodified. On the other hand, BSD has Unix code in it, as it was derived from Unix 7.

Since that time, Linux and BSD have been the base of many different operating systems such as Mac OS X, iOS, Google Chrome OS, Android OS, and many more.

What operating systems are Unix-based or Unix-like?
    Note: I am not listing all there is. There is probably hundreds of thousands of Unix operating systems out there.

If anyone would like something added to the list, please PM me.

Before you ask "why not just bump the old thread" just listen. This thread isn't just for Desktop operating systems. If you have any kind of smartphone (except Windows) you can post about that here as well. This is sort of grouping in the old Linux megathread and grouping it in with lots of other things.[/list][/list]
    « Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 08:00:39 PM by blueblur121 »

We're only going to talk about linux in here. Nobody uses unix besides mac users, and nobody uses mac because it's unix.

I use a mac
    i use iOS

what now
    Discuss it. If you have problems with either of those come here for help. Or if you want to show off your cool wallpapers or something post it here.

my ipad has iOS 5.1.1
    Wowe. I bet the battery lasts a really long time.

so I got this new game called flappy bird...

or you could, you know

make a loving "Operating System Megathread"

i use iOS

what now
    I use a mac

Using a Mac to write an app for iOS while taking this picture on my iPhone

get on my level

surprisingly my mac runs games like ksp and minecraft waaaay better than my windows one, I used to use it for gaming lots more than my windows one, it's a 2006 mac with snow leopard

so get on mine :-0

Using a Mac to write an app for iOS while taking this picture on my iPhone

get on my level
    Is that the new programming language that apple came up with?

I heard it was stuff.

surprisingly my mac runs games like ksp and minecraft waaaay better than my windows one
    What. WHAT.

Wowe. I bet the battery lasts a really long time.
    Not really

Not really
    I was making fun of people who didn't update to iOS 7 because of the battery life.

I was making fun of people who didn't update to iOS 7 because of the battery life.
    Oh
    Well I couldn't update it even if i wanted to- it's an ipad 1