Author Topic: Why do Nvidia cards run Blockland shaders better than AMD cards  (Read 4765 times)

I don't think you know what multithreaded means...
which part? as far as i know you can multithread on a single core.

which part? as far as i know you can multithread on a single core.
You are thinking about HTT, which would in theory work on Blockland since it's the same CPU core.
However the only CPU I know that made any valuable use for the HTT was Intel Pentium IV. (Since HTT is made by Intel so yeah).
In other regards, Blockland does not however support multi core.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 11:34:35 AM by LeetZero »

You are thinking about HTT, which would in theory work on Blockland since it's the same CPU core.
However the only CPU I know that made any valuable use for the HTT was Intel Pentium IV. (Since HTT is made by Intel so yeah).
In other regards, Blockland does not however support multi core.
then what are these people talking about?
Of course it can be done on a single-processor system, and in fact it's much easier that way. It works the same way as running multiple processes -- the kernel, via a timer interrupt or other similar mechanism, suspends one, saving its machine state, and replacing that by the previously-saved state of another -- the only difference being that two threads of the same process share the same virtual memory space, making the task-switch much more efficient.

Multi-threading on multi-processor systems is actually much more difficult, since you have issues of simultaneous access to memory from multiple cpus/cores, and all the nasty memory synchronization issues that arise out of that.
Yes, multi-threading is useful in a single core. If one thread in an application gets blocked waiting for something (say data from the network card or waiting for the disk to write data), the CPU can switch to another thread to keep working.

BeOS was written with pervasive multithreading in mind, even in a time of single core processors. The result was a very responsive OS, though a rather difficult OS to program for.
Yes you can do multithreading on a single processor system.

In multi-processor system , multiple threads execute , simultaneously on different cores. Eg- If there are two threads and two cores , then each thread would run on individual core.

In a single-processor system, multiple threads execute , one after the other or wait until one thread finishes or is preempted by the OS , depending on the thread priority and the OS policy.But the running threads , gives an illusion that they run simultaneous , relative to the required application response time of the User space application.

Time Comparison(Example):

if two threads take 10us each to execute, then on a 2 processor system , the net time take is 10us

if two threads take 10us each to execute, then on a 1 processor system , the net time take is 20us

i get 30 fps on a gt610 with "low" shaders, it was a loving $45 card
I have a GTX 550 Ti and it runs max with 30 fps with other being close to 60.

then what are these people talking about?
Exactly the same thing we're taking about
You can't run more than a single thread simultaneously on a single core, unless it has hyperthreading. Since most processors today have more than a single core, multithreading can be used to make a single thread run on each core simultaneously (unless it's hyperthreaded wherein 2 threads max can run on a single core). However, if the program in question is not multithreaded (blockland) then only a single thread on a single core can be run at a point in time.

My dinosaur computer got a huge amd update, I don't remember the statistics other than it being an AMD, but it is a buildable tower computer, which means I can add more ram, memory, and more. Before it got updated, it would lag very bad. It got the new update, and it can run max shaders with 100+ fps. Soft shaders goes about 50 fps.

Now I have Intel i7 GeForce 745m... I wish blockland can be user friendly with Intel :(

i get how it works but im still confused on these definitions

so you have a single core with a single thread.
you cant run multiple threads at the same time. but isnt the process of calling another thread after the previous one stops still called multithreading? even though they are not running simultaneously? or is there another definition?

Now I have Intel i7 GeForce 745m... I wish blockland can be user friendly with Intel :(
I have a 2nd gen Intel i5 and it runs just fine. I don't see the problem.

Whenever I run Blockland at max. shaders, Task manager shows the CPU usage of BL as 25-26%, and my Athlon has 4 cores, so that means it's maxing out a core.

Athlon

Bearing in mind the last Athlons were made in 2005, that isn't much cpu power.

I get around ~30 FPS on max shaders with a moderately sized build (20k or so bricks) and only 3 FPS with blockoseattle with 2 Geforce GT(S) 450's in SLI, Intel i7 3770K @ 4.2 ghz with 32 gb of 2400 mhz ram (natively 1366 mhz or something), but that's probably due to having some of the graphics settings outside blockland cranked up.

I get around ~30 FPS on max shaders with a moderately sized build (20k or so bricks) and only 3 FPS with blockoseattle with 2 Geforce GT(S) 450's in SLI, Intel i7 3770K @ 4.2 ghz with 32 gb of 2400 mhz ram (natively 1366 mhz or something), but that's probably due to having some of the graphics settings outside blockland cranked up.
Blockland does not support SLI and Crossfire so that's pretty much the only issue.

I have a GTX 430 and I can run shaders fine on low

Blockland does not support SLI and Crossfire so that's pretty much the only issue.
well, next time someone says they are getting 1000 fps on max shaders with 4 gtx titans in sli, they're probably bullstuffting

good to know anyways

amd cards and processors are  cheaper and generally worse in performance than the ehm, "proper" cards like intel or nvidia. like someone said one day
"go big or go home" :-)

for reference, the single-core performance of modern intel processors FAR outshines that of an amd processor.
an i3 (4130) is ~30% faster in single core performance than an amd fx 8350, so blockland should overall run better on intel than amd in most situations

i own a 7870 and a i3 and blockland runs at around 50-60 fps on most builds and expectedly dips to 25-30 fps on later block party builds
this is with max shaders and 4x anti-aliasing forced runnng at 1920 x 1080