Author Topic: VGA Port Not Working On New PC  (Read 766 times)

So I just finished building another gaming computer but there is a problem with the VGA and DVI ports, when plugging the VGA chord in the monitor is receiving no signal. The HDMI ports work fine but the VGA do not.

I am wondering if possibly my display could be rooted to my graphics card and not my motherboard? If that is the situation how would I go about swapping that input and output?

Also here are a few specs:

- 2 AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series Graphics
- AMD FX(tm)-8320 8 Core Processor
- 16GB RAM
- 2TB Harddrive
- 950W Power Supply
- GA-78LMT-USB3 (Socket M2) Motherboard

All drivers are up to date as well.

first off test the cable and both connections

if that checks out fine you probably don't have the driver(s) installed for the VGA port/chipset/whatever controls that; go into device manager and double check to make sure there aren't any yellow caution icons next to anything

also, check catalyst and see if there are any settings regarding external monitors/display outputs

Why would you still use vga anyways.
You have an HDMI and a DVI, if you're monitor has a VGA connector, get an adapter.

I am wondering if possibly my display could be rooted to my graphics card and not my motherboard?
I have no idea what you mean

Why would you still use vga anyways.
You have an HDMI and a DVI, if you're monitor has a VGA connector, get an adapter.
Probably because he doesn't have an adapter and he needs to use the external monitor now..?

plus as a general rule it's always a bad idea to work around a problem instead of fixing it

I have no idea what you mean

Some computers on initial startup will not always use the motherboard to directly send out or receive the input, when that doesn't happen it resorts to primarily using your graphics card as the primary sender and receiver.

Probably because he doesn't have an adapter and he needs to use the external monitor now..?

plus as a general rule it's always a bad idea to work around a problem instead of fixing it

And this. The person buying it wants it done within 2 days and I need to have everything working on it, adapter or not.

OH wait, I didnt read the whole OP, I thought this was a laptop

if the VGA port isn't on the GPU(s) it's not going to work, having a dedicated GPU installed automatically disables the built in graphics chipset

this is always the case with any system, custom or otherwise

The HDMI ports work fine
He clearly has something to test the ports with....

Some computers on initial startup will not always use the motherboard to directly send out or receive the input, when that doesn't happen it resorts to primarily using your graphics card as the primary sender and receiver.
...why would you want to output through the motherboard when you have a discrete video card
if the VGA port isn't on the GPU(s) it's not going to work, having a dedicated GPU installed automatically disables the built in graphics chipset
This, even if you could, there's no reason why you'd want to
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 01:24:48 AM by Headcrab Zombie »

...why would you want to output to the motherboard when you have a discrete video card
pay attention, this isn't his build

He clearly has something to test the ports with....

...why would you want to output to the motherboard when you have a discrete video card

Yes I have a standard VGA chord to test them with. The monitor I am using right now is hooked up to the computer and is using HDMI.

And because on the computer I have the VGA and DVI directly hooked up to the motherboard so if the input or output isn't set on the motherboard it won't work.

OH wait, I didnt read the whole OP, I thought this was a laptop

this is always the case with any system, custom or otherwise

So how would I fix this then?

there's nothing to "fix", onboard graphics are automatically disabled when a discrete GPU is detected to save on power draw and heat output, and I'm 99.9% sure you cannot disable this

if his monitor only accepts VGA he really needs an upgrade, I haven't seen a monitor without a DVI port since 2006

pay attention, this isn't his build
I don't see how who's computer it is at all changes the fact the there's no reason to output through onboard graphics when you have a video card?

And because on the computer I have the VGA and DVI directly hooked up to the motherboard so if the input or output isn't set on the motherboard it won't work.
But why are you connecting it to the motherboard if you have a video card

If you want to use the onboard graphics, you need to disable/remove the video card

there's nothing to "fix", onboard graphics are automatically disabled when a discrete GPU is detected to save on power draw and heat output, and I'm 99.9% sure you cannot disable this

EDIT : Okay got it. Thanks guys.