Who has experience reinstalling windows using a USB instead of Recovery Disc.

Author Topic: Who has experience reinstalling windows using a USB instead of Recovery Disc.  (Read 1273 times)

Hello, I want to reset my computer to factory default, I am using windows 7 and when I want to reset my computer to factory default it says this.

I can download windows 8.1 from this account thingy my brother has for his computer course but I need help on resetting my computer to factory default with a USB. (I don't know how to burn ISO's and such)

Tl;dr, Need to restory windows 7 to factory default or to windows 8.1 with a fresh install using a USB not a recovery disc.

Instead of doing it from the flashdrive I would partition your hard drive, put the windows installation on the partition then when booting up select that partition as the starting disk. When you are setting up windows from that you should be able to wipe the other partition. Atleast you can do this on mac, so you can probably do it on windows (because its better!)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 09:18:01 PM by RarwMuffinz »

Instead of doing it from the flashdrive I would partition your hard drive, put the windows installation on the partition then when booting up select that partition as the starting disk. When you are setting up windows from that you should be able to wipe the other partition. Atleast you can do this on mac, so you can probably do it on windows (because its better!)
so how could I do this? And would it be a fresh install as in no bloatware?

And would it be a fresh install as in no bloatware?
i think an easier idea would be to mount an iso of windows 7 to a usb drive then install from that, then you can enter your activation key

i think an easier idea would be to mount an iso of windows 7 to a usb drive then install from that, then you can enter your activation key
Alright, could I get some instructions on how to install it, as in wiping my original C: drive and reinstalling?

the exact loving same as using it from a disc
use rufus usb tool

Alright, could I get some instructions on how to install it, as in wiping my original C: drive and reinstalling?
after you mount the iso to the USB, and you backup your needed files, all you really need to do is boot to the USB drive, and follow the steps
http://www.shivaranjan.com/2009/05/13/windows-7-rc-installation-guide-walkthrough/
just format the drives until you see "disk 0 unallocated space" and then you can click install or whatever
the exact loving same as using it from a disc
no need to be a richard
use rufus usb tool
i think microsofts tool is better for this
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=38780
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 09:33:41 PM by Frankie² »

i think microsofts tool is better for this
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=38780
microsoft's sucks
i've actually used rufus and it's amazing, according to people who have used it, microsoft's sucks

i've actually used rufus and it's amazing, according to people who have used it, microsoft's sucks
its a bit more user oriented than rufus

Get windows on a USB and boot from the USB

Get windows on a USB and boot from the USB
You cant boot from a usb
I think.

You cant boot from a usb
I think.
yes you can
if you couldnt i would be using windows 8 on my laptop otherwise

Alright, i've got everything, I understand everything apart from how to mount the ISO, the windows program I don't understand, what do I do with it?

Sorry for being so thick.

Alright, i've got everything, I understand everything apart from how to mount the ISO, the windows program I don't understand, what do I do with it?

Sorry for being so thick.
install it and run it, and follow the steps
make sure you have an iso at hand

install it and run it, and follow the steps
make sure you have an iso at hand
Alright, one final check.

I download what ever .iso I want from that link (In this case it's the english x64 for 64bit windows even though I have 32 bit windows) then I use that program and somehow mount it to my USB, then I go into the BIOS and change the setting run from Drive, then CD then USB to Usb, Drive then CD, then I run through the steps then use my original activation key on the bottom of my computer to activate windows? Then reverse the BIOS settings.