Poll

Should students be protected when they act in self-defense?

Yes
50 (92.6%)
No
2 (3.7%)
Other [Explain]
2 (3.7%)

Total Members Voted: 54

Author Topic: Should students be protected when acting in self-defense?  (Read 1649 times)

I think this should be taken into account, but there's an issue with it; it's often not clear (at least to the person doing the suspending) who actually started. People lie, back up their friends, or betray others in situations like that. So I can kinda see why both parties are punished, as unfair as that may be.
My school has security cameras onsite and teachers roaming areas where fights could potentially occur, meaning there are witnesses to said fight yet my school still has a zero-tolerance policy.

No, anyone who would dare do something as outrageous as protect themselves should be punished.

Good thing you don't have crap like people randomly fighting each other here.

Fights happen at my school from time to time. Sometimes they can get bloody and they do a hall sweep to empty the hallways taking in hordes of students who stopped to watch.  To my knowledge, both parties are always suspended. But from what I heard, there was always fighting on both sides, not a big guy beating the crap out of a helpless person.

ive seen people get beat up then suspended without throwing a fist lol

so then schools have to play detective and judge every situation based on testimonies?

you guys make it sound like kids are getting bullied to death out there. when the fact is, most the fights could have been avoided. just because a guy got his ass kicked dosnt mean he was the victim, but if yoiu guys had it your way the guy laying on the ground would always be the innocent one? or just who has more friends nearby to vouch for him...

zero tolerance forced students to be responsible for avoiding issues as well. its not about punishment guys.
also if a student is prone to be bullied and beat up, then its easier to remove the liability from school as well. why is it the schools fault to raise the loving kid right.

here at my school you get in trouble if they find out that you were somehow related to the fight. even spectators have gotten suspended before.

so then schools have to play detective and judge every situation based on testimonies?
better the school puts some time into properly handling the situation than someone gets punished for defending themselves in a fight

At the high school I went to, we pretty much had no fights. I remember one time two people staged a fight and we all crowded around saying ,"Kill him!" and stuff. Was a good prank on staff.

zero tolerance is bullstuff

zero tolerance is bullstuff

instead of putting a reason why it is, You put your opinion in the stupidest form i've seen

My school was always pretty good with fights.
I got in quite a few fights, but was never suspended. The people who started the fights (who by the way, for the most part, were obvious trouble-makers in and outside of classes) got in trouble. Whether that was detentions or suspensions, or even expulsion.

Minor fights between good students, people who clearly aren't trouble makers, usually ended with both of them getting a detention.

If the fight went to the extreme and someone was grossly beaten up, then they'd be expelled, no questions about it.
Often the parents of the child beaten up would also press charges.

There has never been a case at my schools where by someone defends themselves and gets in trouble.
Fights were always pretty obviously started by either one person, or mutually started by both sides.

instead of putting a reason why it is, You put your opinion in the stupidest form i've seen
the only reason it exists is to cover the schools asses from stupid parents
"my baby was beat up by a bully"
"ma'am your son has been beating up the other students for weeks now"
"i dont care im suing anyway"

People who start school fights should be publicly humiliated and told they have a purdy mouth