Poll

Do you support the death penalty?

Yes.
Only if the person is an ongoing danger to society.
No.

Author Topic: Death Penalty - Ye or Ne? - also why terrorists are better than murderers  (Read 9610 times)

We do not have conclusive evidence of what happens after death. My opinion is that there's nothing, but we can't be sure. It's odd sending people somewhere we have no idea of what it is, might as well be world's nicest flower garden with 7 quintillion virgins. Life sentence is worse anyways.
Depends on the prison system.
It's definitely not worse in the UK, where prison is a nicer place to be than where many criminals live.

I would support the death penalty, not for deterring people, but as retribution. I'm not saying it should be dished out willy-nilly, but there are plenty of horrific murderers, rapists and paedophiles who are nothing more than a blight on society.
I would rather have them killed than sit about in the prison system, living an easy life, while their victims suffer a hard life due to the actions commited against them. And much better than the chance of them getting out.

Norway and the U.S are too very different countries, so I don't see the real point of this.
-________________-

-________________-

such the response, i get your comment now mus

-________________-
edited;
Norway and the U.S are too very different countries with very different people, so I don't see the rule point of this. Yeah probably in different countries there's a chance, but here in America were school shootings seem to be happening like once every 1 or two years....
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 07:06:23 PM by Benjamin Lopez »

>norway
>longest sentence is 27 years

It's actually 21 years (30 for crimes against humanity), and if the prisoner is still considered a danger to society after 21/30 years, the sentence can be extended 5 years. After 5 years are up, they will be reviewed again. They'll then either be released, or given another 5 years. This will repeat as long as necessary. People like Brevik are basically guaranteed to never be released.

what?

edited;
Ah yes, now I understand what you're trying to say. You're probably right, actually.

It's actually 21 years (30 for crimes against humanity), and if the prisoner is still considered a danger to society after 21/30 years, the sentence can be extended 5 years. After 5 years are up, they will be reviewed again. They'll then either be released, or given another 5 years. This will repeat as long as necessary. People like Brevik are basically guaranteed to never be released.
Yeah, I know. I was wondering if it was 21 or 27. Interesting, though. Good he's not getting out.

you need to chill
Ironic.

Depends on the prison system.
It's definitely not worse in the UK, where prison is a nicer place to be than where many criminals live.

I would support the death penalty, not for deterring people, but as retribution. I'm not saying it should be dished out willy-nilly, but there are plenty of horrific murderers, rapists and paedophiles who are nothing more than a blight on society.
I would rather have them killed than sit about in the prison system, living an easy life, while their victims suffer a hard life due to the actions commited against them. And much better than the chance of them getting out.
I'd rather see someone spend their lives captive, but you're right on the prison system. Here in the Netherlands it's basically a three-star hotel. Someone that murdered a top politician only had to serve 18 years. He's actually free right now. I'd rather have them locked up forever or killed, not set free after like 20 years.

snip
actually there were four school shootings in april, only 4 were killed/injured in all of them put together, but they were school shootings no less.

There were actually a lot this year already..

Ironic.
I'd rather see someone spend their lives captive, but you're right on the prison system. Here in the Netherlands it's basically a three-star hotel. Someone that murdered a top politician only had to serve 18 years. He's actually free right now. I'd rather have them locked up forever or killed, not set free after like 20 years.

The legal system over there must be is a loving joke. Anders Behring kills like 70 people, and gets only what, 20 years in prison? He even gets a PS2 in his cell for forget's sake. He's threatening to go on hunger strike if he doesn't get a PS3, just to show you how spoiled prisoners there are.

I think death penalty would work as a deterrent better than anything else. 'I shouldn't do this crime, I might die if they arrest me' works really well. The only reason to actually kill the criminal afterwards is to make sure everyone knows they will actually get killed if arrested.

The legal system over there must be is a loving joke. Anders Behring kills like 70 people, and gets only what, 20 years in prison? He even gets a PS2 in his cell for forget's sake. He's threatening to go on hunger strike if he doesn't get a PS3, just to show you how spoiled prisoners there are.
It is, when he was set free (the politiciankiller) there was a massive uproar in the entire country, but it was sweeped under the carpet because the politician could be considered slightly tribal, and because there was a 'very low chance of him doing it again'. Meanwhile, his 'replacement', AKA Geert Wilders who has the same ideas and strives for about the same (but he executes it a bit more crudely) fears for his life.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 07:14:22 PM by TheArmyGuy »

Prison should be punishment for doing wrong, and should make the rest of that persons life a miserable hellhole.
Keep them locked up in a cell and give them the bare nessecities for life. Don't panzy about and give them A/C and delicious meals.

Keep them on the verge of death so they live a life constantly wishing they never forgeted up, and keep them subdued by the guards so they don't think theyre above anyone anymore.

Well, it truly doesn't matter if you become a better person, because you're never going to be let out of prison, and rehabilitation doesn't always work. Stop being so hopeful that criminals can always become 'better', some people never change.
Not all problems are treatable, I know that. But if they have a true mental condition, they shouldn't be killed for that.

Well, it doesn't matter if it's only 20 years, he's never going free because this was too big of a case for him to be set free. He killed too many, and in a spectacular way.

Prison should be punishment for doing wrong, and should make the rest of that persons life a miserable hellhole.
Keep them locked up in a cell and give them the bare nessecities for life. Don't panzy about and give them A/C and delicious meals.

Keep them on the verge of death so they live a life constantly wishing they never forgeted up, and keep them subdued by the guards so they don't think theyre above anyone anymore.
We should just put everyone in these.

Not all problems are treatable, I know that. But if they have a true mental condition, they shouldn't be killed for that.
Well, it doesn't matter if it's only 20 years, he's never going free because this was too big of a case for him to be set free. He killed too many, and in a spectacular way.

Doesn't stop them from treating him like a king in prison.

http://content.time.com/time/photogallery/0,29307,1989083_2137372,00.html

I agree. Prison should be a place that nobody wants to end up in.