Badspot shutting down v20 servers

Author Topic: Badspot shutting down v20 servers  (Read 4759 times)

I honestly don't see why posting v20 servers is a problem.
Like, a user sees my v20 server, doesn't know it's v20, and gets an error. So what? They can find other servers.

(Also I am in no way saying that I do this, it's just an example)

Not everyone does, though. It's funnier than passwording it, bans are only 60 minutes, you're warned, and it's funny.
Being stupid is only funny in some situations, and this is not one of them.

since minecraft managed to come come up.

note that the non-support of modding on that game, greatly splits communities. more so every time the game updates and breaks them all. causes more then just different versions being played. but different sub versions with the working mod combinations.
but without a master server to show all joinable games, no one knows what a clusterforget it is. minecraft is a join on private word of mouth ONLY.

you instantly get booted from it, so no.
I guarantee you you can join that server. I guarantee you it's possible to stay in that server.

The few. The proud. The butts.

I don't believe this happens unless you are using a script to send fake version info.

Otherwise, they won't even show up on the master server.
They do send info regardless the version. There is no version check for posting a server to the server list.

They do send info regardless the version. There is no version check for posting a server to the server list.

v20 servers send different information to the master server than current servers. it can be easily made to not accept the kind of information that v20 servers send.

v20 servers send different information to the master server than current servers. it can be easily made to not accept the kind of information that v20 servers send.
This is true but Badspot doesn't even want people to use V20 so it's not going to happen.

it's pretty stupid to get mad over people hosting an old version of the game. i mean, you remove a feature a bunch of player's liked and then get mad at the players when they want to revisit it? lol. you should've easily predicted this and patched the master server accordingly so they can only play through direct IP.

This is true but Badspot doesn't even want people to use V20 so it's not going to happen.
afaik it already has, v20 servers apparently need to have their info manually posted to the master server to be seen.

afaik it already has, v20 servers apparently need to have their info manually posted to the master server to be seen.
What's the difference between manual and automatic wat? How do you send info manually, call webcom_postserver manually in console?

Completely ignoring whatever butt about v20 vs v21, there would still be a serious community issue if it became common for people to use outdated versions of the game (Even in a best-case scenario where the master server handled versions in a way that allowed them to work individually for some reason).

People who host on different versions would alienate a large portion of the userbase from their content. It's seriously a terrible idea for people to start opting out of latest versions because the playerbase simply cannot withstand that behaviour. I don't think it's a problem for people to have the occasional private v20 server, but there's absolutely no harmless way for that to be commonplace. Minecraft can take it because Minecraft does not have a "community", and people always join by specifics anyway.

This server is joinable, though.
In the same way that a v20 server is joinable by a v21 client.
  • On a v20 server, it begins to load for a few seconds before crashing.
  • On []----[]'s Join to be Auto-Banned, it begins to load for a few seconds before you get banned.

it's pretty stupid to get mad over people hosting an old version of the game. i mean, you remove a feature a bunch of player's liked and then get mad at the players when they want to revisit it? lol. you should've easily predicted this and patched the master server accordingly so they can only play through direct IP.
It was already patched.
Old versions don't even appear on the master server without a hack to send fake version info.

There would still be a serious community issue if it became common for people to use outdated versions of the game
You are correct. But it is completely unlikely. Most people have become accustomed to using the newest version of the game after it's been out for so long. It took months before a hacked v20 client could surface online, and even it was totally obscure. I have never heard of any serious servers using the version 20 of the game. We are safe from this kind of thing. If suddenly alot of people began to host v20 servers, I'd be arguing against it.

I just love it when people make a v20 server and play slate.

It took months before a hacked v20 client could surface online,

lol "hacked"

I don't believe this happens unless you are using a script to send fake version info.

Otherwise, they won't even show up on the master server.

are you sure this is true
considering that v20 servers have popped up very easily on the master server list, and i don't see why anyone would go on the trouble to do all sorts of things
i'm not very familiar with this whole fishy hosting business.

It was already patched.
then what's the big deal? if people aren't getting tricked into joining incompatible servers, what's wrong with hosting v20 servers?