Author Topic: Elite: Dangerous - Explore 400 BILLION Star Systems  (Read 4743 times)

even if every star system magically took up 1 byte that would require 400GB of storage so I doubt that
Ever heard of procedural generation and procedural algorithms?

look it up

Ever heard of procedural generation and procedural algorithms?
look it up
right. where are you gonna store all that information after it's generated?

right. where are you gonna store all that information after it's generated?

It's generated as it's needed.

It's generated as it's needed.
but then where does it go?

multiplayer
it's a persistent multiplayer game. there is an option for solo mode, but multiplayer adds the idea that systems can get their economy forgeted if missions are failed/succeeded by players and such

the reason its $75 for beta is that it keeps away the people who won't submit any bug reports and people who expect a full game away

the reason its $75 for beta is that it keeps away the people who won't submit any bug reports and people who expect a full game away
that doesn't make any sense. it just sounds like it's supposed to keep away the people. in general

that doesn't make any sense. it just sounds like it's supposed to keep away the people. in general
they want people who are old enough AND want to beta test.

there is a reason for it being high.
but then where does it go?
It disappears and then comes back when it is needed lol.

It disappears and then comes back when it is needed lol.
uhh. that isn't really how computer storage works

Well Night Fox is right, better lock the thread Niven, we've been duped.

While the size of the map may be extremely over exaggerated, from the gameplay I've seen I think it'd be really fun.

uhh. that isn't really how computer storage works

When you use a seed to generate a minecraft world, it generates a "random" world. You can delete the world, then choose to generate a new one using the same seed, and you would get exactly the same world as before. The world can take gigabytes of memory whilst the seed will take up a number of bytes. You're essentially trading memory for processing power. This is likely why the minimum specs are a quad-core.

Depending where in the universe you are, different seeds are called upon to generate a local world around you that stays the same as before. I can't tell you in any more detail, but this is the concept behind it. The original elite game used this system to overcome the limitation of PC's only having 64K of memory back then.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 06:24:45 PM by D3ATH LORD »

If this were an MMO, the combined power of all the computers playing this could support a great deal more than one computer alone, especially if it uses hidden loading screens while traveling between star systems.
Sorta like what Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker did between the islands.

Well Night Fox is right, better lock the thread Niven, we've been duped.
I wasn't even saying anything remotely like that? I was saying that such a claim seemed unreasonable
for some reason nobody but death lord thought it might be nice to tell me how it worked. so thanks to him I understand. idk how I forgot about that thing though. I used to play minecraft all the time. I guess I never liked using seeds much

still, though. let's say the seed for an entire star system has to be only 8 letters long. that's probably a small estimate? but even for just that much, 400,000,000,000 star systems would take up 3,000GB. which is admittedly possible, especially for a company that can evidently get away with charging $75 for an unfinished game

I wasn't even saying anything remotely like that? I was saying that such a claim seemed unreasonable
for some reason nobody but death lord thought it might be nice to tell me how it worked. so thanks to him I understand. idk how I forgot about that thing though. I used to play minecraft all the time. I guess I never liked using seeds much

still, though. let's say the seed for an entire star system has to be only 8 letters long. that's probably a small estimate? but even for just that much, 400,000,000,000 star systems would take up 3,000GB. which is admittedly possible, especially for a company that can evidently get away with charging $75 for an unfinished game
Then how the hell does Minecraft work?

It works the same exact way.