possible method of keeping music synced between players?

Author Topic: possible method of keeping music synced between players?  (Read 963 times)

using the 2D/server side music brick, and a bunch of 30 second cuts of songs that are set to play after a 30k ms relay fires, could you pretty much sync audio up between all players after they've joined the game and have at least listened to the first clip of audio after they join

idk if goes in help or s&r but whatever

reason being i'm in the middle of making something almost exactly like this and the music is a pretty big forgetin' deal
also if i was to imitate Zone Mode it'd also allow me to sync up some pretty visuals with the music
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 11:56:20 PM by Jubel »

I thought it was already synced?

I thought it was already synced?
.oggs are played client sidedly apparently.
it's pretty noticable when you drop out of music range, and then back into it. if you and someone else started listening at the same time, then you'd be out of sync because you'd have to start the song again iirc.

only thing i can think of is playing it client sided (no bricks involved) and having it start for all of the players at once
http://rtb-archive.host22.com/add_ons/Event_MinigameMusic.zip
that might be something to go off of ^

It's because of the audio objects. They don't start playing sounds till they're ghosted. This is handled by the client.
only thing i can think of is playing it client sided (no bricks involved) and having it start for all of the players at once
http://rtb-archive.host22.com/add_ons/Event_MinigameMusic.zip
that might be something to go off of ^
This requires another add-on, pretty sure. This also wont include clients who've joined the minigame after the music starts playing.

if you use shorter segments of music and switch them frequently, it should be fine
you may want to split it up at quieter moments in case it doesn't match up perfectly

You would have to restart the music every time a client joins, after he ghosted the audio object.

You can possibly split up a music file into segments and play them in order with events.
Every time the event is triggered it syncs back up with all players in range

You can possibly split up a music file into segments and play them in order with events.
Every time the event is triggered it syncs back up with all players in range
that is exactly what i said in the op

what about at the end of a loop, it "plays" it again using relays (basically the same thing as opening the menu, clicking the music, and pressing "send")
that way if a player joins, they will sync up next time the loop loops

what about at the end of a loop, it "plays" it again using relays (basically the same thing as opening the menu, clicking the music, and pressing "send")
that way if a player joins, they will sync up next time the loop loops
that would work if you find out exactly how long the loop is in milliseconds