Author Topic: There are 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 planets in No Man's Sky  (Read 1799 times)

from what I'm guessing is they'll all be rng dependent and have nothing interesting to really do on them

from what I'm guessing is they'll all be rng dependent and have nothing interesting to really do on them
What does 'rng dependent' means?

you should check out rodina too if you like this

What does 'rng dependent' means?
It means they are randomly generated shapes based on a seed. And or that number of planets, the seed is random too. The real work behind this went into the planet generator.

The article you linked even explains it.

just like real space!!
reality sucks!
that's the message behind the game!!
indie gaming!!!!

you should check out rodina too if you like this
I already did. It was a one hour trial, and while I like exploring the barren wastelands, the ship handling was a bit too complicated. I only played the one hour trial.
It means they are randomly generated shapes based on a seed. And or that number of planets, the seed is random too. The real work behind this went into the planet generator.
The game creator, Sean Murray, said that he didn't like for it to be described as 'random' as the word implies that the generation of the planets is utterly chaotic and out of control. The generator follows a set of rules.
just like real space!!
reality sucks!
that's the message behind the game!!
indie gaming!!!!
Don't be a Debbie downer. This game will be GOTY, just you wait.

The game creator, Sean Murray, said that he didn't like for it to be described as 'random' as the word implies that the generation of the planets is utterly chaotic and out of control. The generator follows a set of rules.
that's what I'm worried about

they'll rng the details so there's only one of each combination or something

but then you can do the same things on every planet or maybe even nothing at all since it looks like the only aspect to the game is exploring, completely negating the reason for having so many planets

god I'm getting flashbacks of starbound already

Doesn't matter what he likes or dislikes, if you can't predict the result then its random.

that's what I'm worried about

they'll rng the details so there's only one of each combination or something

but then you can do the same things on every planet or maybe even nothing at all since it looks like the only aspect to the game is exploring

god I'm getting flashbacks of starbound already
Murray said that only 10% of the planets in the game universe have life on them, and out of that 10%, only 10% of that will be incredibly interesting. He also said that the closer you get to the center of the galaxy, the weirder the alien planets will be.
Doesn't matter what he likes or dislikes, if you can't predict the result then its random.
You should tell him that.

Here's the pics of planets from all of the two trailers they've shown us so far: http://m.imgur.com/a/x8J7j
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 06:39:42 PM by dudeman162 »

The article you linked even explains it.
Last time I checked, anything we've observed is accurate in the game, and the rest is procedurally generated beyond that. There's a difference between random generation (using entropy such as time or other noise, to calculate what should be what), and procedural generation (a seed, in this case the known universe, and the rest is generated beyond that)

Yes, a lot of the game is being generated. However, due to the nature of the game, everyone is going to see the same results, with only one random factor. Your starting position.

Unless something has drastically changed since I last researched this game.

Well of course you can create a super awesome planet generator with multiple variables to tweak and many rules to ensure cool results.

At the end of the day it'll still be random, as in, the planets were not designed one by one by an artist.

Not random, just not manually designed. Random doesn't actually exist, especially in computers.

Either way, the idea behind the game is to have an entire explorable universe. I hope you weren't expecting them to hand-craft that many planets.

Not random, just not manually designed. Random doesn't actually exist, especially in computers.
Fine. Pseudo-Random-AKA-You'll-Never-Be-Able-To-Tell-The-Difference-From-Real-Random. Happy now? Jeez you're picky.

I'm pretty sure you get what I meant...