Author Topic: Screen brick  (Read 2623 times)

I would like something like some sort of screen brick to allow for putting screen shots on similar to the part of the tutorial when it teaches you to get bricks in you menu. I was thinking either small bricks attached that would then display as much as the image as could fit in the area, or at least fixed sized screens that only fit certain sized images. Either way I would like to do this somehow, it has plenty of uses in both decorative and functional building projects.

Writing a script that allows for your screenshots to be placed on bricks, would take up more than a few datablocks for people with loads of screenshots, just learn how prints are made (very easy to do) and make your own prints, then a brick like the Poster which iirc should be default.

I've always wondered if you could have screens, in Blockland, that can display Youtube videos, or maybe even streams.
Btw before you straight-away shout at me, saying it's impossible, please explain why.

Btw before you straight-away shout at me, saying it's impossible, please explain why.
The engine can't do it. Therefor it's impossible.

This board is for additions to the game, not user-made add-ons. Additions can be user-made add-ons, but this board is explicitly for any features added to the game, even if Badspot doesn't actually check it. Playing YouTube videos on print faces would be pretty easy to do if you'd actually try. Pretty much nothing is impossible.

This board is for additions to the game, not user-made add-ons. Additions can be user-made add-ons, but this board is explicitly for any features added to the game, even if Badspot doesn't actually check it.

You know that this is complete nonsense so why do you keep posting it.

This board is for people to request add-ons from the community. If you believe otherwise, link one topic where someone suggested an engine feature and Badspot actually implemented it.

You know that this is complete nonsense so why do you keep posting it.

This board is for people to request add-ons from the community. If you believe otherwise, link one topic where someone suggested an engine feature and Badspot actually implemented it.

Do you try to stuff on literally every topic in Suggestions & Requests that you can find? I haven't seen you post in a single one other than the "command events" topic without being as absolutely negative as possible while trying to deny everything everybody says. "It's impossible" is very misleading. If people want a feature from the game and people say it's impossible, they know that it'll never be possible, whereas in most cases it could very well happen. As I said, the point isn't whether or not Badspot bothers to implement requested features, it's simply the fact itself that there is nothing stopping a feature such as YouTube playback from being implemented.

it's simply the fact itself that there is nothing stopping a feature such as YouTube playback from being implemented.

Then show off how you'll do it?

It's simply the fact itself that there is nothing stopping a feature such as YouTube playback from being implemented.

The only way I can see video being in Blockland is if a brick is shifting through images fast enough to be called a video. And to do a 1 minute video at 60fps you'll need what, 3,600 datablocks, not including the default ones, as well as sound for said video.

Do you try to stuff on literally every topic in Suggestions & Requests that you can find?
The answer is yes, even if he won't admit it

The only way I can see video being in Blockland is if a brick is shifting through images fast enough to be called a video. And to do a 1 minute video at 60fps you'll need what, 3,600 datablocks, not including the default ones, as well as sound for said video.

The texture of a brick is determined by code directly. There's no reason to use prints for something like this, just render the stream onto the brick (based on UV mapping).

The texture of a brick is determined by code directly. There's no reason to use prints for something like this, just render the stream onto the brick (based on UV mapping).
You still haven't explained how you want to pull that off?

You still haven't explained how you want to pull that off?

Please point out where I said that I intend to do so myself.

Please point out where I said that I intend to do so myself.
Are you saying that you can't do it?

Ports right, it wouldn't be hard to add.