HALF LIFE 2 VR WITH MOTION CONTROLS AND OCULUS IS AWESOME

Author Topic: HALF LIFE 2 VR WITH MOTION CONTROLS AND OCULUS IS AWESOME  (Read 1699 times)

not late

This looks friggen awesome, what's he using on his hands?

not late

This looks friggen awesome, what's he using on his hands?
pretty sure it's razer hydra.

looks like wii nunchucks fused together

I really hope this kind of thing become affordable in a decent amount of time

I really hope this kind of thing become affordable in a decent amount of time
You could say it already is if you get oculus and hydra instead of a next gen console.
If you think about it, those two are more next gen than next gen consoles.

its always been my dream to be gordon freeman

Cool, but kind of redundant at the same time. I cannot see this technology working for the competitive multiplayer realm, but I can see it working well in the simulator, single player realm.

Cool, but kind of redundant at the same time. I cannot see this technology working for the competitive multiplayer realm, but I can see it working well in the simulator, single player realm.
this

Its cool and all, but it will be hard to do the really quick maneuvers you need to do in games like HL2 effectively with this.

this

Its cool and all, but it will be hard to do the really quick maneuvers you need to do in games like HL2 effectively with this.

Definitely not multiplayer FPS, but maybe a RPG may work, and definitely a racing game. (NCG+OculusRift=Vomit+Awesomeness)

I really like the idea behind aiming and all of that, but if that's indeed a Razer Hydra, doesn't one of these cost around $1000 since they are out of production? There should be an alternative. Maybe leap motion?
You can apparently find them ~$100-200 used on eBay, however I wouldn't trust those sources that much.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 12:40:18 PM by LeetZero »

It would not be multiplayer friendly at all, unless all the players had rifts and hydras.

this

Definitely not multiplayer FPS, but maybe a RPG may work, and definitely a racing game. (NCG+OculusRift=Vomit+Awesomeness)
It would not be multiplayer friendly at all, unless all the players had rifts and hydras.

The entire point of virtual reality is to SIMULATE REALITY, HURDUR.

Of course the person with the controler is going to play better than the person with the VR gear...
...Because that's REALITY
Of course your reflexes are going to be worse with the VR gear...

But saying that VR has no place in competitive multiplayer is just absolute BULLstuff. You simply can't have a VR system competing with a mouse or controller. That's one of the reasons most gamesystems don't have cross platform playing, a player with a full mouse and keyboard is going to have an advantage over the person with a controller. When VR systems start to hit the market you'll see just how handicapped you are.

Any VR game is going to need to be made for VR, currently everything is just a stuffty port.

The entire point of virtual reality is to SIMULATE REALITY, HURDUR.

Of course the person with the controler is going to play better than the person with the VR gear...
Of course your reflexes are going to be worse with the VR gear...

But saying that VR has no place in competitive multiplayer is just absolute BULLstuff. You simply can't have a VR system competing with a mouse or controller. That's one of the reasons most gamesystems don't have cross platform playing, a player with a full mouse and keyboard is going to have an advantage over the person with a controller. When VR systems start to hit the market you'll see just how handicapped you are.

Any VR game is going to need to be made for VR, currently everything is just a stuffty port.
That's pretty much what I meant in my post.
I really like the idea behind aiming and all of that, but if that's indeed a Razer Hydra, doesn't one of these cost around $1000 since they are out of production? There should be an alternative. Maybe leap motion?
You can apparently find them ~$100-200 used on eBay, however I wouldn't trust those sources that much.
There's a project called sixense stem that a group of people are working on making. You should look it up.