Author Topic: CBMHost needs your help!($40 needed for February's goal!)  (Read 12336 times)

Regardless of what cowboy is trying to do, offering a service like this for free is basically dumb.

Charge money, make money, grow, increase capacity, find a way to sell advertising, stay free.

If not it's gonna have to cost the clients in the long-run.
This service was a lifesaver for me, I didn't want to have to pay for RTB Hosting or kalphost. I just couldn't afford it. Plus all my ports have been closed by my ISP so I have no way of hosting for free.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 02:46:14 PM by Blake1 »

Regardless of what cowboy is trying to do, offering a service like this for free is basically dumb.
Charge money, make money, grow, increase capacity, find a way to sell advertising, stay free.
If not it's gonna have to cost the clients in the long-run.
yeah, you really shouldn't offer things as free if you're incapable of actually supporting them.

The best solution would be to split the cost between clients + accept donations.
Then if enough donations came in, that month is free for the clients. If not, they all get a small fee that's split up between all of them, a fee just big enough to cover the expense, no profit gained.

these free systems never work anyway. its just a bad business model to work with and results in major failure because you can only sustain it yourself for so long until it starts eating up your wallet

yeah, you really shouldn't offer things as free if you're incapable of actually supporting them.
He's supported a free service for two years.

wikipedia
Is a massive thing that people will obviously donate to in addition to advertising revenue. You really can't compare them.

He's supported a free service for two years.
Surprising, but so what?

It sounds like a ransom. lol

The best solution would be to split the cost between clients + accept donations.
Then if enough donations came in, that month is free for the clients. If not, they all get a small fee that's split up between all of them, a fee just big enough to cover the expense, no profit gained.
This.

Is a massive thing that people will obviously donate to in addition to advertising revenue. You really can't compare them.
these free systems never work anyway
Yes, it's a free system people donate to.  They do work.  Wikipedia does not advertise.

Surprising, but so what?
Well he obviously showed he was able to support it with no problem at all until recently. Sudden financial issues are not uncommon when you're an adult.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 10:45:01 PM by #Ravencroft »

Well he obviously showed he was able to support it with no problem at all until recently. Sudden financial issues are not uncommon when you're an adult.

Indeed, I was able to support it fine. But, I'm having to support my family financially now, so I don't have the extra I used to.

The October goal has been met thanks to the generous support from Theportalmaster! We are also 1/4 of the way towards November. Thank you to all who have donated!

He should put ads on the site to help cut the cost.
Non-intrusive ones obviously.

He should put ads on the site to help cut the cost.
Non-intrusive ones obviously.
Ads only help if you have a frequently visited site which this obviously isn't.